Implicit Bias: Take the Test!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/reveali ... us-part-1/
Revealing Your Unconscious: Part 1
Would you consider yourself to be prejudiced against people who are different from you? Most of us would say no. But in the late 1990s, researchers created a test to measure biases that may be hidden from our conscious minds. Millions of people have taken it since, and not everyone likes what they’ve discovered. This week, we launch a two-part look at implicit bias with psychologist Mahzarin Banaji. We ask how is it that we can hold negative stereotypes — without being aware of them.

To learn more:

Project Implicit

Outsmarting Implicit Bias

For more exploration of our unconscious beliefs, listen to psychologist Emily Pronin on what she calls the “bias blind spot.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I'm not sure if it's the same test (it might be, the test name and org name are familiar), but I took an implicit bias test a little bit after the lockdown started. I have long recognized that I have implicit biases (and yes, plural) and have spent years working on identifying and mitigating them. I won't say eliminating, because I believe they're still there, but reducing the impact as much as feasible. In any case, all the effort seems to have paid off, as my bias score (or whatever they called it) was very close to neutral.

And maybe my fencing background helped a bit as well.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I took only one, but there was no bias in my Arab/Muslim test.

I would expect that, actually, since due to my horse breed preference, I am used to perceiving Arabic names as positive or neutral, and I know a lot of Muslims as a result of my fondness for Arabian horses.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Me, too, but without the horses.

At the end of my high school years I was interested in religions other than the Catholicism I’d grown up in. I briefly toyed with converting to Islam BECAUSE of how women are regarded, which in my young mind was not restrictive but protective. I don’t think their society had been exposed to the freedom revolutions our were going through then.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”