King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/he ... smsnnews11
Here’s How the Royal Beekeeper Informed the Queen’s Bees that Her Majesty Had Died

Queen Elizabeth II is dead, and her bees have been informed.

Black bows have been tied onto each of the hives in the grounds of Buckingham Palace and Clarence House, with the role of breaking the sad news to the bees falling to 79-year-old royal beekeeper John Chapelle.

He also told them that King Charles III is their new boss.

Informing the bees of their owner’s death isn’t a royal tradition as such—it’s a centuries-old superstition mainly predominant in western Europe and the U.S.

It’s believed that failure to inform the bees that their owner has died will result in the bees’ own death, or them ceasing to produce honey.

In 2020, the royal family tweeted that Buckingham Palace’s bees had produced over 200 jars of honey, enough for the palace to be “self-sufficient.”

The honey gets used by royal chefs at palace receptions and garden parties, often in honey madeleines and in honey and cream sponge cake.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Kriselda Gray »

noblepa wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:11 am I may be misremembering, but I thought I read a few years ago that the Queen had given up all of her Corgis. Perhaps this story is from that time. Besides, that picture is a much younger version of Her Majesty.
You're remembering right. She had given them up because she didn't want any surviving her death and being left alone, but when Prince Philip passed away, someone in the family (I forget who, exactly) gave her 2 new ones to help her while she was mourning.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:17 pm
noblepa wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:11 am I may be misremembering, but I thought I read a few years ago that the Queen had given up all of her Corgis. Perhaps this story is from that time. Besides, that picture is a much younger version of Her Majesty.
You're remembering right. She had given them up because she didn't want any surviving her death and being left alone, but when Prince Philip passed away, someone in the family (I forget who, exactly) gave her 2 new ones to help her while she was mourning.
Do you have a link for that? My Google-fu is failing me today.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

much ado wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:31 amApologies.
Oh no problem, I wasn't complaining to you. I was just thinking that if they're charging £25 for a newspaper, I'm betting the paper is £2 the shipping is at most £10 and they're putting £13 in their pocket.

And I'd be happy to pay that, but if someone wants to stop as they pass by and pick one up I'd rather that they get the £13 than some company.

The first comment was more like "Wow, if they charge more for shipping they are PROUD of the damn paper, ain't they?"
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:30 am
much ado wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:46 pm
Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:51 pm If someone in the UK would pick me up a print edition of the Time of London with the Obit I would be thankful. I'll pay for it and the cost to ship it to me.

Ben-Prime?
According to this web page here...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/help/article ... nday-times

You can order back copies of The Times from this site...

https://www.ocsmedia.net/

They ship worldwide.

ETA: The current Sunday Times contains several articles about Elizabeth II. The cost is 25 GBP. I'm not sure whether that includes shipping.

ETA again: It won't give you a price until you specify your country. So I assume this means the price includes shipping. The weekday issues are 15 GBP to US, but it won't let you select the most recent dates at the moment...
Shipping? For 25 quid it should include a happy ending. This is a newspaper, not a book.

But that's why I asked someone local to get one at a newstand. I wouldn't mind paying that if that's what the shipping costs but royal mail is more reasonable than that, I'm sure the company doing the order is making more than anyone else. Hell, I'll pay that much to someone and let them keep the difference instead of a reshipper.
I do have a copy, on my dining room table, unless my sister has already claimed it. She's visiting me this week. If she has not, I'll find some way to send it along.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:22 pm
The corgies were gifts from Prince Andrew and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ens-corgis
much ado

Post by much ado »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 pm I do have a copy, on my dining room table, unless my sister has already claimed it. She's visiting me this week. If she has not, I'll find some way to send it along.
Ben, what is the date on that issue? Thanks!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

much ado wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:19 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 pm I do have a copy, on my dining room table, unless my sister has already claimed it. She's visiting me this week. If she has not, I'll find some way to send it along.
Ben, what is the date on that issue? Thanks!
Oh, wait, I misunderstood, I thought you mean the Sunday edition from yesterday, the 11th. The obit edition, no, I didn't grab. Alas, due to my job, I worked really really really late that night and then was here at the Embassy from 6:30am to about 8pm that Friday. So I missed out.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:22 pm
If you click the story title on the NPR player, it will take you to the print version of the story.

This article doesn't mention her being given the corgis after Philip's death, but does talk about her deciding against having more dogs and then changing her mind:

This one talks a bit about Andrew fairly recently giving her a new corgi pup: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15254819/ ... ce-andrew/

I can't find the original article I read yesterday that talked about her deciding not to keep the dogs and then being gifted the new ones... I suppose it's possible I may have misread part of it...
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Kriselda , you are correct. In one of the articles about the Duke and Success of York getting the puppies now it stated Fergie purchased the puppies and Andrew gave them to her.

She stopped breeding Corgis from her original bitch/dam Susan.

Rikker will just have to take my word for it!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

OK, I know I should be a better human being and not sink this low, but poor poor Andrew having to wear a suit while his siblings still have their fancy uniforms. Must sting a lot, especially since he's unlikely to get any pity from older brother and now King Charles. :violin:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:11 pm OK, I know I should be a better human being and not sink this low, but poor poor Andrew having to wear a suit while his siblings still have their fancy uniforms. Must sting a lot, especially since he's unlikely to get any pity from older brother and now King Charles. :violin:
If you put in credence in tabloid press, they don't get along very well to begin with and Charles has been pretty upfront about wanting to cut Andrew off from the Sovereign Grant.
Andrew, for his part, raised a bit of a stink when they cut some of the security for his two daughters who whether they deserve it or not are portrayed as being a little bit entitled and a little bit more than a little bit dumb.

Still, Andrew and Harry are the two who have spent the most time in the legitimate military service and they are the only two who are being blocked from wearing uniforms, which is ironic. (Andrew is going to wear his Naval Uniform for something tonight, but not some "honorary Admiral" uniform, but the one he earned and wore when he was in the Navy serving on a ship.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks Gregg, for all the info. I suspect you are enjoying this thread (and all the history!) a lot :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:11 pm OK, I know I should be a better human being and not sink this low, but poor poor Andrew having to wear a suit while his siblings still have their fancy uniforms. Must sting a lot, especially since he's unlikely to get any pity from older brother and now King Charles. :violin:
Maybe he and Harry can commiserate about being the outcasts of the family
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Charles and Camilla could probably use the sugar from the sandwiches to keep going.

It's a brutal schedule they are adhering to and you have to remember the man is still grieving his mother who only passed on Thursday.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I suppose this is to reduce the morning traffic in Westminister.

Logistical nightmare. Where will the coaches pick them up? How will they find the right coaches after the service?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Like this....?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

BOAC? They will need the tardis to catch that bus. ;)
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Joe Biden can use Transport for London's journey planner.

That suggests that Mr.Biden can take the 344 bus from the US embassy to Vauxhall bus station, then take the 88 bus to Westminster Abbey. Or, if he fancies a stroll, the embassy is 15 minutes walk from the bus station.

So, no need for limos or helicopters!

Unfortunately Mr. Biden is cannot ride the buses for free, as he is not resident in England, so not entitled to a concessionary pass. So he'll need a credit or debit card to tap on the reader as he boards the bus. There y'are. Sorted.
Off Topic
Guidebooks for Venice often suggest taking the public vaporetto along the Grand Canal as a cheaper way of getting a for than a tourist boat. Visitors to London don't often appreciate that a similar piece of advice can apply in major cities, such as London: take the bus and see the city and some sights instead of sitting in the underground tunnels of the metro (tube, subway. U-bahn, S-bahn, T-bane).

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”