silly math puzzles

jcolvin2
Verified:

Re: silly math puzzles

Post by jcolvin2 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:46 pm
► Show Spoiler
Agreed - three equations and three unknowns, basic middle school math.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

bill_g wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:40 pm
► Show Spoiler
Except that the symbols overlap on top of each other. So they represent discrete numbers, not digits.

If you want the symbols to represent digits, it could just as easily be 8 to the 8 power, + 2 * 3 squared
= 16,777,264
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

► Show Spoiler
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:50 pm
bill_g wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:40 pm
► Show Spoiler
Except that the symbols overlap on top of each other. So they represent discrete numbers, not digits.

If you want the symbols to represent digits, it could just as easily be 8 to the 8 power, + 2 * 3 squared
= 16,777,264
So, did they post an "official" answer to this because I see a lot of latitude to what the symbols may represent.

Sometimes Mensa fuckheads are just that. I like fair games, but I don't being fair game.

PS my notation for exponents in standard text is 8e8 (using the example above).
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

► Show Spoiler
They have distinct explicit functions shown between all symbols in all other examples. If they mixed up implied with explicit, I throw a flag on the play.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

bill_g wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:05 pm
► Show Spoiler
They have distinct explicit functions shown between all symbols in all other examples. If they mixed up implied with explicit, I throw a flag on the play.
FWIW, I like your interpretation - I like to throw out alternate interpretations when these come around to demonstrate that there are multiple ways to read these silly math problems.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Are people on facebook getting it wrong because they miss the twist in the last line? Because that's what I did.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

PaulG wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:38 am Are people on facebook getting it wrong because they miss the twist in the last line? Because that's what I did.
Some.

Most get the order of operations wrong.

Some, I have no idea what they are thinking.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

This was easy (for me at least) - 28. I hope I'm not wrong cuz that would be embarrassing.
much ado

Post by much ado »

scirreeve wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 am This was easy (for me at least) - 28. I hope I'm not wrong cuz that would be embarrassing.
Through the miracle of Google image search, I found a page in Hungarian that has many of these puzzles in the same style. It also has the answers.

https://kuffer.hu/teszt-15-matematikai- ... rba-jonne/

The answer is here:
► Show Spoiler
The page title in Hungarian is "Test: 15 math puzzles that even Einstein would be embarrassed about".

Hmmm...
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Ha! I'm in Yurp and I write a single stroke 1 and a crossed 7, a pick'n'mix of conventions. Why? Because they're unambiguous when read by colleagues in Norway, France, Britain, 'Merica, anywhere. Of course, people rarely see my handwriting these digital days, but it happens.

I've never had difficulty deciphering others' written numerals unless scrawled messily. A French 1 with its long steeply sloping stroke on the left to the top looks nothing like a 7 in either convention.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

much ado wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:06 am
Through the miracle of Google image search, I found a page in Hungarian that has many of these puzzles in the same style. It also has the answers.
Thanks Much Ado. They are mixing implied and explicit functions. I accept the answer, but call bullshit on the test. As explained earlier, if I put a pair of digits on a page, no one automatically thinks to add them (8 + 8), multiply them (8 x 8), or consider the second digit an exponent (8e8)(8x8x8x8x8x8x8x8). They are a pair of digits with no space between them meaning together they represent eighty eight (88), or thirty three (33).

In fact, I would argue if the author wishes to claim 28 is the answer using implied functions, they need to define that with another example. Without that, they've broken their own rules.

:boxing:

PS: Good morning everyone!
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:

Then there is the linguistic approach..

Gloves over gloves..
What can it be other than gloves/groves =1 ;)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

It could indicate a BOGO. And if you accept their offer, the lack of them would indicate a zero. So, two of any of these symbols could indicate a potential zero meaning the answer is 2. Potentially.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, all. I figured (pun intended) the figure was a one, BUT since it was a silly math puzzle I wanted to eliminate that possible silliness before I calculated the answer. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

silly math puzzles

Post by raison de arizona »

► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”