Coronavirus and the Schools

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Coronavirus and the Schools

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:19 pm “Dan” repeatedly said they would have to touch the daughter. Hoping for a clear excuse to sue.
He is right, and they won't put their hands on her for refusing to leave. And they couldn't toss her out the front door as they have custody while she is in school.

In our county (county wide district), a sheriff deputy is on premise at all 80+ schools. A deputy certainly can put his hands on her, take her to a room to sit alone while waiting for a parent or other approved person on her list to come pick her up and sign for her.

"Dan" is not going to win here. :smoking:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

Our school district narrowly bucked the trend and delayed opening school for 3 weeks, meaning we begin 3rd week of Sept, the vote 4-3 (of 3 against, 1 has no children, another an anti-vax religious freak who works at the VA, 1 an old man with 80 year roots and who drives a bus). The reason is to give the current wave time to peak and not infect families who then need hospitalization, further impacting overflowing facilities. Most school districts in Douglas County, Oregon are opening on schedule, many already in session, some boardmembers interested in watching what happens to them.

This is a RWNJ community with a board chair who said she and "Elkton" believe in both science and "leading". I like her.
Conservation is what conservation does and it sure ain't preservation.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

CISD is not requiring masks.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ool-boards
...Gallien was not prepared for the experience of attending a school board meeting in St Tammany, a rural parish that is significantly whiter, richer and more conservative than nearby New Orleans. “I didn’t know it was going to be like that,” she said. “When I pulled into the parking lot, it was a Trump rally.”

Dozens of parents, dressed in red to “demonstrate their anger”, according to the local paper, stood outside the school, holding signs with slogans such as “My Child, My Choice” and “Unmask Our Children”. Shouting matches broke out between the pro- and anti-mask camps as law enforcement officers attempted to keep the sides separate. One man told Gallien, who is Black, to “go back where you came from”.

The tense standoff in Slidell is just one of dozens that have unfolded at local school board meetings across the US in recent weeks as schools debate how to return to in-person instruction amid the resurgent threat of the Delta variant. From Anchorage, Alaska, to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, school board meetings have become the stage for the latest act in America’s culture wars over education, one with roots in the country’s deep racial and political divisions.

“School boards are a uniquely vulnerable spot in the culture war landscape, because they’re open to everyone and they’re not really prepared for it,” said Adam Laats, a Binghamton University professor who studies the history of education in the US. “You can go down to the meeting at 7.30pm on Thursday and yell at someone rather than just feeling adrift in a changing culture.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

That just makes me so sad. And angry.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Parents get coached on how to escape mask and vaccine rules
by Gillian Flaccus, Jaine Har and Sara ClineSunday, August 22nd 2021

ALSEA, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon school superintendent is telling parents they can get their children out of wearing masks by citing federal disability law. A pastor at a California megachurch is offering religious exemptions for anyone morally conflicted over vaccine requirements.

And Louisiana’s attorney general has posted sample letters on his office’s Facebook page for those seeking to get around the governor’s mask rules.

Across the U.S., religious figures, doctors, public officials and other community leaders are trying to help people circumvent COVID-19 precautions.

While proponents of these workarounds say they are looking out for children’s health and parents’ rights, others say such stratagems are dishonest and irresponsible and could undermine efforts to beat back the highly contagious delta variant.

Mask and vaccine requirements vary from state to state but often allow exemptions for certain medical conditions or religious or philosophical objections.

In Oregon, Superintendent Marc Thielman of the rural Alsea School District told parents they can sidestep the governor’s school mask requirement by applying for an accommodation for their children under federal disabilities law.

Thielman said he hit upon the idea after the governor’s mandate generated “huge, huge pushback” from parents.

“The majority of my parents are skeptical and are no longer believing what they’re told” about COVID-19, said Thielman, whose district in the state’s coastal mountains begins classes Monday. “I’ve got a majority of my parents saying, ‘Are there any options?’”

In a letter to educators this past week, Democratic Gov. Kate Brown said she was shocked that Thielman was undermining her policies by “instructing students to lie” about having a disability.

https://weartv.com/news/local/parents-g ... 08-21-2021
raison de arizona

That's disgusting.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hospitals are filling up. Some school districts w/o mask requirements are reporting explosive increases in cases.

This is no time to be playing political games. :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Actually, from their point of view, its the perfect time. Best time to hit is the time of maximum pressure.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Man who blurted out 'Heil Hitler' during school meeting on mask mandates fired from tennis instructor job
Sky Palma
August 24, 2021

A man accused of giving a Nazi salute and saying "Heil Hitler" during a board of education meeting in Detroit has lost his job as a tennis instructor at a local health and fitness club, the Metro Times reports.

Speaking to the Metro Times, the owner of Sports Club said that Paul Marcum's bio has been taken off their website after news got around that he flashed the salute during a heated debate at the Aug. 17 meeting regarding mandatory masks in schools.

Marcum allegedly made the gesture toward Suzanne Busdiecker, who is Jewish, and two African-American women. All three women supported mask mandates, Deadline Detroit previously reported.

"It's a hate crime and it happened on school property," Busdiecker, a mother of a student entering middle school after a year of virtual learning, told Deadline Detroit. "I'm not taking it lightly."

Marcum was removed from the meeting by security after the incident.

https://www.rawstory.com/paul-marcum-nazi-salute/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

WTF Utah?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:34 pm WTF Utah?
University of Texas at Austin.
Lani

Post by Lani »

A "reasonable accommodation" would be to provide the class remotely or provide the information in another format such as a PPT or written notes.

So much stupid, so little time....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:43 pm
University of Texas at Austin.
:bag:

Whelp, thaaat explains a lot.

Unfortunately.
raison de arizona

Phoenix Union Superintendent Chad Geston:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:46 pm
Dan got his ass arrested today.
On Wednesday, a student approached Bauman and said “I’ve had enough for four days” and attempted to grab his cellphone as he was recording, according to the arrest report.

Bauman pushed the student in the shoulder and then “grabbed her hand and twisted her arm in an aggressive manner,” according to the report.

He was immediately taken into custody and has been charged with aggravated child abuse.
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/08/25/b ... e-protest/
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

That nice polite dude aggressively put his hands on a teenage girl? I’m shocked.

Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Accommodations must be requested ... and are reviewed by depts using medical records. You can't say "my child has a medical issue" and provide a vague letter from a doctor. This problem is not arbitrary. And the review process takes weeks.

Until the process is finalized, schools and teachers are not required to provide an accommodation.

School districts are required to meet an accommodation as equitably as possible. But equal does not mean same. Schools could require that students whom can't mask be taught separately from students without disability accommodations. School boards can require unmasked students to learn virtually.

In general, your child needs a diagnosis predating the mask mandate (some exceptions apply).

Oh, and the federal gov gives permission for businesses and gov to not meet accommodations as stringently during periods of emergency, where meeting the accommodation puts others at risk.

A note from your pediatrician saying your child shouldn't wear a mask for medical reasons isn't enough for an exemption. The medical info must require a diagnosis and schools can ask for a lot of info regarding medical treatment being used.

Parents, do you really want bullshit diagnoses following your child for years? People with breathing problems have limited options with medications. Psychiatric diagnoses have consequences. There are a bazillion other diagnoses that could negatively affect future medical treatment.

Any school that dicks around with disability accommodations can find themselves in a time- consuming and possibly expensive process with state and federal depts of education.

This is a stupid gamble.

Regarding symptoms. Schools always send sick kiddos home. They can legally do so. Schools have no obligation to keep sick kids in school.

And an illness does not equal a disability.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't get it. Don't you do anything to protect your child? Even if you think the risk is small? Does his daughter have to die for him to understand anything? He would be crying about how sorry he was if anything were to happen to her. This makes me crazy. Adults being stupid is one thing. But being willing to take a chance with your own child's life?

:crying:

I mentioned a week or so ago that a community near us has paid for one of those huge digital signs screeching about no masks for their kids, their freedumb. I drove through there yesterday. There are also signs on lawns.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Oh, college profs are allowed to end lectures early. Faculty in UT TX know that. I have the right (frankly obligation) to keep my students safe.

At my college, if a student refuses to wear a mask or wear it properly, I am required to contact Public Safety. If I feel it necessary, I'm allowed to dismiss class for the rest of class session. (I'm allowed to move to a different classroom but there are a ton of issues that make that difficult.)

The ADA only applies to students whom complete the disability accommodations process. A symptomatic student won't have accommodations allowing that student to be on campus.

ETA: see strikeout.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”