Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Kendra

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Kendra »

Moar!

During sentencing for Jan 6 defendant, James Bonet, Judge Emmett Sullivan stops prosecutors from discussing Trump on Jan 6, saying, "For all I know, he could be indicted one day." Judge explains mentioning Trump today would force him to recuse from Trump's very hypothetical case
:?: Isn't this the judge who took Flynn's guilty plea way back when and read all the redacted stuff we've never seen?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:09 pm
The "devil" made me do it...?
Well played, your honor. Well played.
They still teach the Flip Wilson defense in Law School?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Jim wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:16 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:09 pm
The "devil" made me do it...?
Well played, your honor. Well played.
They still teach the Flip Wilson defense in Law School?
All I know is that if the devil follows me into that bar, he's gonna have to buy his own damn drinks.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:15 pm Moar!

https://twitter.com/RobLegare/status/15 ... 5823702024
During sentencing for Jan 6 defendant, James Bonet, Judge Emmett Sullivan stops prosecutors from discussing Trump on Jan 6, saying, "For all I know, he could be indicted one day." Judge explains mentioning Trump today would force him to recuse from Trump's very hypothetical case
:?: Isn't this the judge who took Flynn's guilty plea way back when and read all the redacted stuff we've never seen?
I believe it is, and also, too, didn't he retire? Or am I confusing my judges? I mean, clearly he didn't retire, so I guess I am.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:13 pm Because of course it was.
Wait, is he Stephen Miller's brother?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:25 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:15 pm Moar!

https://twitter.com/RobLegare/status/15 ... 5823702024
I believe it is, and also, too, didn't he retire? Or am I confusing my judges? I mean, clearly he didn't retire, so I guess I am.
Didn't they call a bunch of retired judges back to hear the J6 cases? Or did they just talk about doing that?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Its not uncommon for Federal Judges to retire to Senior Judge Status which let's them lower their case load and open the seat up for a new appointee. Since they have lifetime appointments, they don't really retire per se and the only way to no longer be a Federal Judge is to resign.

raison de arizona

Gregg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:56 pm Its not uncommon for Federal Judges to retire to Senior Judge Status which let's them lower their case load and open the seat up for a new appointee. Since they have lifetime appointments, they don't really retire per se and the only way to no longer be a Federal Judge is to resign.
You are exactly right, you get all the points. Thanks!
Sullivan will be taking senior status, a form of semi-retirement, on April 3, according to a statement from Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton. She’s D.C.'s nonvoting delegate in the House. Norton is already looking for a replacement for Sullivan and accepting applications, the statement said.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-we ... -fill-seat
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:04 pm
Gregg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:56 pm Its not uncommon for Federal Judges to retire to Senior Judge Status which let's them lower their case load and open the seat up for a new appointee. Since they have lifetime appointments, they don't really retire per se and the only way to no longer be a Federal Judge is to resign.
You are exactly right, you get all the points. Thanks!
Sullivan will be taking senior status, a form of semi-retirement, on April 3, according to a statement from Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton. She’s D.C.'s nonvoting delegate in the House. Norton is already looking for a replacement for Sullivan and accepting applications, the statement said.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-we ... -fill-seat
I had one as a professor once, he explained it pretty well.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

D.C. police officer's suicide after Jan. 6 riot declared line-of-duty death
@ryanjreilly

@LACaldwellDC
https://nbcnews.com/politics/politics-n ... -rcna19433 via
@nbcnews
raison de arizona

"We support law enforcement." :(
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sentencing now underway for Jan. 6 defendant Micajah Joel Jackson, an extremely prolific Twitter user.

DOJ is seeking 60 days of incarceration.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Please tell me he's one of the ones who will get closer to 60 months than 60 days.

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:26 pm Please tell me he's one of the ones who will get closer to 60 months than 60 days.
Judge is deferring sentencing for two weeks. Wants to look at Jackson possibly losing VA benefits.
raison de arizona

Azastan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:34 pm
Gregg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:26 pm Please tell me he's one of the ones who will get closer to 60 months than 60 days.
Judge is deferring sentencing for two weeks. Wants to look at Jackson possibly losing VA benefits.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Plea changes happening. Random one from email.
03/10/2022 06:41 PM EST

Case number: 1:21-cr-141
Name: DAUGHTRY, Michael Shane
Charges:
Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Impeding Ingress and Egress in a Restricted Building or Grounds and Aiding and Abetting

Associated Documents: Associated document, Associated document, Associated document, Associated document, Associated document
Location of arrest: Georgia, Middle District
Case status:
Arrested 1/15/21. Charged via criminal information 2/19/21.

Arraigned 3/8/21 where he pleaded not guilty to all counts.

Status conference held 3/17/21.

Pleaded guilty 3/10/22.

C’mon, man, did you do it or not?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybe the quick guilty verdict in last week's trial had something to do with it?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Detention hearing today is postponed for Enrique Tarrio in Jan 6 conspiracy case

In filing earlier this week, he noted his invoking of his right to remain silent ====>
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:26 am Maybe the quick guilty verdict in last week's trial had something to do with it?
Absolutely 110%. Prosecutors are telling defense attorneys, "Did you see the result in Reffitt? Did you see what the jurors said to the newspapers? This is now a race. Those who plead guilty the fastest will be the (relative, of course) winners. Where does your client want to finish the race, huh?"

That's why I said, that case was super important because of how much of a slam dunk it was, and because all the other defendants got to see what it'd be like to go to trial. Most of them CAN'T go to trial, not even with a public defender. They'll end up like Reffitt.

I only wish we didn't have to wait for sentencing until June. I know they need time to prepare a proper sentencing report, but I bet the judge already knows what he's going to sentence the bastid to.

:boxing:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:57 pm I only wish his sentencing wasn't until June. I know they need time to prepare a proper sentencing report, but I bet the judge already knows what he's going to sentence the bastid to. :boxing:
IDK, letting those folks stew over the max Reffitt could get and not knowing what he actually gets for a while might help them make up their minds a little sooner. Especially if the judge goes light on Reffitt, might be better to make the others wait.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Scoop:
@glennkirschner2
applauds DOJ for indicting Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio without a single leak and says it proves they are working their way up to the command structure of the insurrection—all the way to Trump.
Not holding my breath, just posting it here for the record.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I am not holding my breath on Trump, but that they managed to avoid leaks on both the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers leadership is rather impressive.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I read somewhere that Garland is very good at keeping things close to his chest until he's ready to go.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

New rule: “fair trial” means the trial must take place at least four states away from the scene of the crime.
Another high-profile Jan 6 defendant is seeking to transfer his case outta DC and into his home area (Iowa)

Doug Jensen

He argues he can't receive a fair trial. "Anyone living in the DC was less than 7.5 miles away from the events that occurred at the US Capitol on January 6"

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”