Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

zekeb wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:13 pm The Epoch Times. Has anyone else received a free sample of this asswipe "newspaper"? I received mine in the mail today. One look at the front page and I decided that it wasn't worth opening. Let's just say it's a means of communicating with the right wing nut job crowd. Of course the literate will read it to see how people think on a different galaxy.
I get a copy of Epoch Times at least twice a year, and it is a far right hyper-conservative rag. I know I got on their mailing list from a donation I made to a Catholic charity. I "encode" my donations with creative misspellings of my name that I keep track of. Epoch has that misspelling.

On the plus side I've received tons of unsolicted Catholic bling as a free gift if I would just send them some money for their cause. I have scads of little wooden and plastic crucifixes, rosaries in a variety of colors, a number of necklaces with various saints emprinted on small medallions, cards for all occasions, shopping bags, note pads, pens, return address labels, and a lot of adorable photos of starving / war torn / natural diaster survivor / persecuted people around the world.

PS - Wait until you get your own America Needs Fatima calendars. Beautifully made. Totally nuts.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Had a quick look at the website, loved the “Request a Fatima home visit” option.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:37 am I get a copy of Epoch Times at least twice a year, and it is a far right hyper-conservative rag. I know I got on their mailing list from a donation I made to a Catholic charity. I "encode" my donations with creative misspellings of my name that I keep track of. Epoch has that misspelling.
I'm really sad that it doesn't surprise me for a second that Catholic Charities is in bed with the extreme far right Epoch Times. I sincerely believe that Catholic Charities do some really great things, but it's been quite a few years since I've been able to bring myself to donate anything. So sad.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

RVInit wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:26 am Yeah, military women marching in form fitting pants and high heels is definitely an idea that came from a man that loves to look at women.
I used to wear high heels - my highest ones (I'm puny) when I was a litagator. I'd strut - click clacking up my way though the courtroom.

But the reality is that high heels throw the body out of balance and cause spinal problems. I still have a few shoes with 1" heels, but that's about it for me.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

I get life insurance mailings from some Catholic life insurance company about three times a year. I haven't been inside or registered as a member of a Catholic church for close to 40 years. I suspect that they got my name from my National Czech Museum membership. They seem to think all Czechs were Catholic. From my research a good share of Czech immigrants were Free Thinkers. Most coming over here to flee the grip of that Church.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

covfefe wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:05 am
bill_g wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:37 am I get a copy of Epoch Times at least twice a year, and it is a far right hyper-conservative rag. I know I got on their mailing list from a donation I made to a Catholic charity. I "encode" my donations with creative misspellings of my name that I keep track of. Epoch has that misspelling.
I'm really sad that it doesn't surprise me for a second that Catholic Charities is in bed with the extreme far right Epoch Times. I sincerely believe that Catholic Charities do some really great things, but it's been quite a few years since I've been able to bring myself to donate anything. So sad.
This was a Catholic charity, not Catholic Charities, though I get requests from them as well.

In my case it was Sisters of St. Benedict in Ferdinand IN. I received a random request for a paltry $10-20 donation to repair the foundation on the sanctuary. After a little research, I determined their request was real, the building was in danger, and having been on church building committees, I sent them a lot more than ten bucks. That put me on the whale list which they may, or may not have monitized by selling to lateral groups. It's a reality of modern times. Within months I was single handedly keeping the postal service employed with all the mail I received.

Ultimately, that was my real goal - keep USPS alive. Honest. Truely. That was it. That's what I tell myself. Miracles don't just happen. You make them happen.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Serious Catholic Bling!
Attachments
20210703_Fatima.jpg
20210703_Fatima.jpg (252.53 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh, goody. More words I never thought I’d say:

Sprout has a gig in Vegas. :shock:
He, not his band, He all by his lonesome, is opening at a house party for Sublime. Sublime also plays Mandalay Bay Sunday night.

My shy boy with social anxiety will stand before 100 strangers with his hair in pig tails, wearing a sparkly red duster over his ripped jeans, and play his guitar and sing his heart out.

I’m still in shock. :P

Wavy Davy, do you know Sublime? From San Diego, Reggae-ska/ punk. Not exactly my cuppa, but hey. That’s the tradition, isn’t it? Your parents can’t stand the music you love.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

They're Sublime With Rome now, since Bradley Nowell's estate owns the Sublime name & wouldn't license it out after his death.

It's some really good music, though.

My favorite, & arguably their best known:

Edit: Oh yeah, WAY TO GO, SPROUT!!
Image Image Image Image
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like that one.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:36 pm Oh, goody. More words I never thought I’d say:

Sprout has a gig in Vegas. :shock:
He, not his band, He all by his lonesome, is opening at a house party for Sublime. Sublime also plays Mandalay Bay Sunday night.

My shy boy with social anxiety will stand before 100 strangers with his hair in pig tails, wearing a sparkly red duster over his ripped jeans, and play his guitar and sing his heart out.

I’m still in shock. :P

Wavy Davy, do you know Sublime? From San Diego, Reggae-ska/ punk. Not exactly my cuppa, but hey. That’s the tradition, isn’t it? Your parents can’t stand the music you love.
Tiptoe Through The Tulips played on a ukulele should be easy.
Largo al factotum.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

That’s awesome!!!!!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Yay, Sprout!!!
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:36 pm …Sprout has a gig in Vegas…
When is the gig? Hope it goes well.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Way to go, Sprout!!!!!!! Be sure to give a shout out to yo' Mama! :dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Go to Facebook as instructed. It is worth it. Hubby sent this.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

It shows as unavailable here. Is that intentional?
Largo al factotum.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

You have to click on "watch on Facebook" which is why TRL said to go to Facebook as instructed, so, yes, as Facebook intended.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:51 am It shows as unavailable here. Is that intentional?
Yeah, FB videos can be restricted by the uploader to not allow embeds on other sites (Youtube has the same option). Just click the link and it will open on facebook.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That was fun!

It took me three times clicking ‘watch on FB’ before it took me there. First it took me to my friend’s page where I learned that one of Sprout’s old friends is getting married and moving to DC. His fiancé will be working at NIH under Dr Fauci. 😊
Thanks, trl!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:38 am Go to Facebook as instructed. It is worth it. Hubby sent this.
OMG TRL. Who thinks this stuff up? I'm always amazed at how creative people can be. Thx!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

In comparison to past celebrations, it was a ghost town around here last night. Hardly a firework heard. Because of the drought conditions, fireworks bans checkerboard across the state with some areas allowing it, and some not. It seems most people took heed personally deciding for a second year in a row to forego displays. In one way it was a relief. We could go to bed at ten. In another way, it was missed. We enjoyed gathering with neighbors well into the evening, but not a single invitation came around. (sigh)
Lani

Post by Lani »

Same here. It rained on and off all day and evening, My dog hates fireworks (unlike me), so when some fireworks began, I gave him his CBD treats. (Yes, it is very calming.) When the rain took a break, some fireworks started, he was fine. But all in all, it was a quiet night.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We had a last-minute change of plans. People who were scheduled to visit Maybelot had to cancel. Our daughter-in-law then invited us to go out on their boat to watch fireworks from the water in the Chesapeake Bay. The marina is a 2.5 hour drive and we were expecting traffic. Nope. None. A few boats on the water, but not the flotilla I was expecting. It was a gorgeous evening, Low 70s, flat calm water. Plenty of fireworks on the shore. It was fun!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Stuff”