Weather Alerts

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Glad you’re safe, Mrich! :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Oldies radio reporting death toll is up to 215. Most since Katrina. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

we just got a notice from the drainage district to lower the level of Lake Humidity - to prepare for up to 30 inches of rain this weekend into next week.. so I guess southeast FL is gonna get wet..
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

'We don't want you here': NC Gov. Cooper to fall color tourists after historic floods

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/new ... 494195007/
As peak leaf season approaches in the mountains, N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper told the Citizen Times that tourists are not wanted in Western North Carolina in the fallout of the historic, devastating floods have been confirmed to have taken 97 lives in the state and devastated the region's infrastructure.

Cooper said he only wants people who are dedicated to response efforts coming to the region.

"Whenever you come to Western North Carolina you get emergency notifications that we don't want you here unless you are directly helping with the response," Cooper told the Citizen Times Oct. 3 in .

:snippity:

Visit North Carolina, the state's official destination marketing organization, has continued to issue a travel advisory warning to all who intend to visit the region typically known for its strong tourism industry as the leaves turn in the fall. Currently, the message is: Do not travel to the region as cities and towns continue to battle power and water outages.

"State and local officials strongly advise all motorists avoid travel in Western North Carolina due to the continued challenges and risks from riverine flooding, landslides, slope failures, road closures and downed trees," the Visit North Carolina advisory, updated Oct. 3, read. "Power and cell phone service outages are also widespread as are shortages of water, food and gas."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Sadly, that autumn traffic that drives up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway looking at the glorious fall colors in the mountains - that Roy is warning not to arrive this year - is the basis for a lot of the economy for the mountain folk. The tourists they're having to turn away this year stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, hit the tourist traps, and spend money. But not this year. This year they're unwelcome.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

I got a notice today that our management company has stopped all bookings for our STR. Our house is ok, but we're very nearby major disaster; our neighborhood is being used as staging for responders and their equipment. We've had one cancellation already - for this weekend, but the folks booked for 10/17 haven't cancelled (yet).

Winter is typically slow. I've been ruminating about offering a discounted interim availability for displaced locals. On one hand, I want to help the area and the people, but my business hat is concerned about longer-term tenants. Will 3 months really help? What if I can't get them out of there?

I did see a post saying maybe us long distance folks could buy gift certificates for local business but not go there to use them...let them go to folks who are there already.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 3:47 pm I got a notice today that our management company has stopped all bookings for our STR. Our house is ok, but we're very nearby major disaster; our neighborhood is being used as staging for responders and their equipment. We've had one cancellation already - for this weekend, but the folks booked for 10/17 haven't cancelled (yet).

Winter is typically slow. I've been ruminating about offering a discounted interim availability for displaced locals. On one hand, I want to help the area and the people, but my business hat is concerned about longer-term tenants. Will 3 months really help? What if I can't get them out of there?

I did see a post saying maybe us long distance folks could buy gift certificates for local business but not go there to use them...let them go to folks who are there already.
I like it. Any ideas where to start?
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

CNN just showed part of the remarks Brian Kemp is giving right now, with tfg standing to one side with that swaying side to side thing he does. The stage is full of needed supplies, although I was grateful to see the paper towels were on the opposite side outside of reach of tfg.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:52 pm Sadly, that autumn traffic that drives up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway looking at the glorious fall colors in the mountains - that Roy is warning not to arrive this year - is the basis for a lot of the economy for the mountain folk. The tourists they're having to turn away this year stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, hit the tourist traps, and spend money. But not this year. This year they're unwelcome.
I think he’s right. Western NC is not ready for tourists. To the extent that the hotels and restaurants have survived, they need to be available to people who have lost their homes, as well as all of the out-of-town folks coming in to do the clean-up, get the power back on, assess damage for insurance, search and rescue, and all the other work that comes with recovery. None of those folks should be competing with tourists for scarce resources.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:39 pm I think he’s right.
Oh, I'm not arguing. Of course they can't have the fall foliage tourists this year - even the Blue Ridge Parkway has almost no access, with more than 500 roads still out. Those hotels and restaurants are damaged, too also. I hope the tourists get the message and stay away (but some won't).

I was just pointing out, it's a double whammy for those people. First the storm ravages the region, and then the tourists with the money to rebuild it can't get there either. It will take a long time to rebuild the area.
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:06 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:39 pm I think he’s right.
Oh, I'm not arguing. Of course they can't have the fall foliage tourists this year - even the Blue Ridge Parkway has almost no access, with more than 500 roads still out. Those hotels and restaurants are damaged, too also. I hope the tourists get the message and stay away (but some won't).

I was just pointing out, it's a double whammy for those people. First the storm ravages the region, and then the tourists with the money to rebuild it can't get there either. It will take a long time to rebuild the area.
If I were a regular tourist to the area, I'd figure out how much money I'd normally spend on hotel, dining, souvenirs, guides, whatever, and donate it to one of the on-the-ground-organizations. Not ideal but something.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 33b8&ei=89
Fact Check: Did Biden-Harris Migrant Spending Drain FEMA Hurricane Budget?
Rolodex

Weather Alerts

Post by Rolodex »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 3:50 pm
Rolodex wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 3:47 pm I got a notice today that our management company has stopped all bookings for our STR. Our house is ok, but we're very nearby major disaster; our neighborhood is being used as staging for responders and their equipment. We've had one cancellation already - for this weekend, but the folks booked for 10/17 haven't cancelled (yet).

I like it. Any ideas where to start?
Look on a map and pick a town. They probably have a facebook page and they probably have posts about current progress in their area. Just ask on that page if this would be helpful and who is up and able up take credit cards.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Problem is that could cause a longer term accounting issue - they have to carry those GC's as Liabilities then forever, or at least until they expire.

Oh, I see. You are buying GC's to give to the local needy. Carry on. As long as there is someone to administer the distribution.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

one of many

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

a guys life story just disappeared

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Mother nature cleansing her lands, I guess.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

She will always win. She may lose a few battles but she will come out on top.
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Helene death toll up to 225. :( Many still missing.
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

My girlfriend in Asheville recommends belovedasheville.com as a good non-profit to donate to if you feel so moved.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

After a little bit of thought, I decided to donate to the Buncombe County Schools system, because 1) it will help kids and maybe teachers, and 2) I kind of trust them to use it wisely. Buncombe County is where Black Mountain (and Asheville) are.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for the suggestions.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Tropical Depression 14 has formed in the Gulf of Mexico. Forecast has it becoming a hurricane and making landfall in western Florida next week.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:55 pm Tropical Depression 14 has formed in the Gulf of Mexico. Forecast has it becoming a hurricane and making landfall in western Florida next week.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/4exxjEC

Gifted.
These inland mountain communities are often safe from tropical storms. The cyclones that batter the U.S. southeastern coasts typically weaken as they come ashore. Many peter out before they reach a mountain town like Chimney Rock.

But this time, something different happened. Helene moved fast and carried its warm, moist air hundreds of miles inland into the Carolinas.

“It was a worst-case scenario for the type of tropical system that could deliver really extreme impacts that far inland,” said Gary Lackmann, professor of atmospheric sciences at N.C. State University.

Here’s what fueled Helene and caused so much devastation in the Appalachian Mountains.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”