It sucks growing old

W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Why y'all postin' a picture of me at age 16?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

So on a day when horking up the entire contents of my stomach wasn't even close to the worst thing that happened to me this morning, I quit. I just quit.

In the morning, this will be a totally different world. :towel:
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy - :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Thanks, ladies, today is a better day. :biggrin:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

Don't you hate it when you go to a blues jam and your apple watch keeps bitching the music is too loud?
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

It sucks growing old

Post by Maybenaut »

:lol:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

It sucks growing old

Post by jez »

So the last few weeks, my right hip has decided it doesn't want to do what a hip is supposed to do. It hurts, to say the least. Finally got to an Ortho for x-rays. Good news is nothing is broken, no tendons are torn, there doesn't seem to be a large amount of swelling around the bursa, etc.

It's arthritis. In my hip. So... Celebrex, hot/cold therapy, gentle exercise to help with mobility, and my trusty cane for bad days.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

Dammit, jez! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, that's not cool, my friend. What about steroids, and I don't say that facetiously, because steroids have helped me a lot with similar maladies. My surgeon sent me a list of things to try to alleviate pain - it even included aromatherapy, which, it's true I am an aging ex-hippie, but :nope: :talktothehand:

And I'm also gonna suggest a pain management doctor, if they can't fix the underlying issue.

Love you, Jez. :bighug:
jez

It sucks growing old

Post by jez »

Thanks all.

Arthritis runs in the family, on both sides. It was really just a matter of time. I was thinking my hands would go first, actually. My paternal grandmother and maternal great-grandmother both had arthritis so bad in their hands they basically became claws.

As for steroid therapy: I have a very low tolerance for steroids, be it injected, creams, or oral. Those would be a last ditch effort. For now, the NSAIDs are helping, as is the Aspercreme and Icy/Hot. Doesn't totally kill the pain, but I'm able to walk decently without relying heavily on my cane.

Just another pain factor that I will learn to tolerate.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

jez wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:33 pm Thanks all.

Arthritis runs in the family, on both sides. It was really just a matter of time. I was thinking my hands would go first, actually. My paternal grandmother and maternal great-grandmother both had arthritis so bad in their hands they basically became claws.

As for steroid therapy: I have a very low tolerance for steroids, be it injected, creams, or oral. Those would be a last ditch effort. For now, the NSAIDs are helping, as is the Aspercreme and Icy/Hot. Doesn't totally kill the pain, but I'm able to walk decently without relying heavily on my cane.

Have you tried Voltaren?
jez

It sucks growing old

Post by jez »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm Have you tried Voltaren?
I haven't, but I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

~Paarthurnax
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm
jez wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:33 pm Thanks all.

Have you tried Voltaren?
Second the Voltaren. I just picked up a prescription for Dr. Vicklund of a higher dosage than the OTC version of that medication - it helps her a lot. (But as with all things medical, make sure it is right for you and any other medications you take)
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

FWIW, I also use a lidocaine 4% roll-on. Icy Hot makes one. I buy the generic from amazon, a couple at a time. I also have a prescription for the diclofenac sodium (Voltaren), as it is pricey.

I keep both around, because various parts of me respond better to one or the other.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

jez wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:16 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm Have you tried Voltaren?
I haven't, but I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
Yeah works pretty well for me. I just use OTC pills.

For me I just use one or two before bed, very occasionally when my hip or back is acting up making it difficult to sleep, or when I've had a particularly busy physical day. I'm pretty stoic about the pain in my hip (arthritis/ bone on bone/ screaming for a bionic replacement) and back arthritis (lower back/ neck), but it does make it hard to sleep sometimes. I am really mindful of not getting addicted, dependent, or tolerant to any pain medication. Nurefen works for me.

The hip was shot full of replacement lubricant about 18 months ago and I can walk pretty good, but it is getting hard to bend enough to trim my toenails or put on socks even. I think its time to see the surgeon for hip number two, but I'm not sure if I'd be overinvesting (a new hip will cost me about $AUD3000 all up this time I think) and the recovery will probably be much longer than the previous one 15 years ago.

P.S. Not only but also, my GP recommended Voltaren gel when I banged my shin and the pain moved down to my ankle. Not sure it really did any good to be honest, but at least I felt I was doing something worth while.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

A year ago, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's. Last week, I had my third visit to the neurologist. When I went for my second visit, he called it "probable" Parkinson's. This time, he said I had Parkinson's symptoms. In the last year, it has not advanced at all, and I am still on the smallest possible dosage of medications. He asked if I wanted to try going without the meds, and I declined. He said I could take an annual appointment next year or stick with six months. I went with the six months. He said it's possible that this might be as bad as it gets since there has been no change in a year, but it can also move in jumps, so no guarantees. We will see, but it's not going badly, so far.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Rolodex

It sucks growing old

Post by Rolodex »

Ugh. Parkinsons sucks. One of our dear friends was diagnosed a couple of years ago. He's a rheumatologist and had to retire (years before he otherwise would have). I hope your symptoms do not advance.

I went to have my second knee injection last week. Doc told me that I'd know when it was time for replacement and I think on my next visit I might be there.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

Andy :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

Andy and Dex- :bighug: :bighug:
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: :grouphug: :bighug:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

To Andy and Dex :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Me myself I am getting my vax boosters today before lunch for flu and covid.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”