Shameless Promotion - join us in making football picks!

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, here's what John Thomas8 does:

1. He selects a group of college and pro football games and gives them to us in a weekly thread throughout the season. We have until kickoff to make our picks.

2. He keeps track of wins and losses. He tells us who won the week, and he keeps statistics on all the picks. He is accurate. He does an awesome job.

OK, here's what I do:

1. Mostly in prior years, I made very few picks. The problem is, I stink. I always pick the teams I like, which is not smart. I don't know enough about college football, but I know nothing about pro football, so I don't even bother.

2. But this year, I'm going to pick all the college games.

3. I have fun with it. We don't bet money, so who cares if I'm not going to win several weeks this year? I try to pay attention to the college game, and I think about my picks, and every so often I have a good week, even if I don't win. It's very enjoyable, and then I watch the games. :biggrin:

OK, here's what you do:

1. Go to the User Control Panel and the Usergroups tab, and join the Sports Fans group. Then you can see a whole new area of the forum, including all sports.

2. Look for the weekly threads for a) college, and b) pro football games.

3. Make your picks and take your chances. Look out for Reality Check, that guy wins half of everything.

4. Check your results the following week - JT8 delivers them faster than you can believe. Did you win? Yay!

(The first group of college games was posted yesterday. In one week from today, we interrupt this marriage in order to bring you FOOTBALL SEASON. :thumbsup:)
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Can we pick which team's uniforms are the cutest? And the most handsome players? Can that be part of the betting and picks?
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Aw, shucks, thanks Foggy.

This is year 15, it's been fun.

Uniforms? Until somebody gets a grip on Phil Knight I can't say that unis will contribute. :lol: :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Luke wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:04 am Can we pick which team's uniforms are the cutest? And the most handsome players? Can that be part of the betting and picks?
Definitely, but don't expect JT8 to keep track of those!

Here's the first set of picks for the year in college football. I quoted the whole thing. I want you to look at how much work he did, formatting and team records (they're all 0-0 now, but that will change), a tiebreaker, everything in precise order and a shorthand version in case you want to use it.

That represents hours of work. Basta! :boxing:

Besides, I think the really cutest guys grow their hair so long, you can't read the name on their jersey. You might have to do your own research, Luke! :lol:
John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:31 pm Welcome to this year's College Football Pick 'em

I thought about generating two weeks out of "opening weekends", but too many of the games just aren't good enough.

Saturday, 24 Aug 24:
#10 Florida State (ACC, 0-0) @ Georgia Tech (ACC, 0-0)

Thursday, 29 Aug 24:
Western Carolina (Southern, 0-0) @ #24 North Carolina State (ACC, 0-0)
North Carolina (ACC, 0-0) @ Minnesota (B1G, 0-0)

Friday, 30 Aug 24:
Temple (AAC, 0-0) @ #16 Oklahoma (SEC, 0-0)
Florida Atlantic (AAC, 0-0) @ Michigan State (B1G, 0-0)
Elon (Coastal Athletic, 0-0) @ Duke (ACC, 0-0)
TCU (Big12, 0-0) @ Stanford (ACC, 0-0)

Saturday, 31 Aug 24:
#14 Clemson (ACC, 0-0) @ #1 Georgia (SEC, 0-0)
#8 Penn State (B1G, 0-0) @ West Virginia (Big12, 0-0)
Akron (MAC, 0-0) @ #2 Ohio State (B1G, 0-0)
Colorado State (MWC, 0-0) @ #4 Texas (SEC, 0-0)
Eastern Michigan (MAC, 0-0) @ Massachusetts (IND, 0-0) + tie break total combined points (over/under is 49.5)
#19 Miami, FL (ACC, 0-0) @ Florida (SEC, 0-0)
Western Kentucky (C-USA, 0-0) @ #5 Alabama (SEC, 0-0)
Idaho (Big Sky, 0-0) @ #3 Oregon (B1G, 0-0)
#7 Notre Dame (IND, 0-0) @ #20 Texas A&M (SEC, 0-0)
Fresno State (MWC, 0-0) @ #9 Michigan (B1G, 0-0)
UCLA (B1G, 0-0) @ Hawai'i (MWC, 0-0)
New Mexico (MWC, 0-0) @ #21 Arizona (Big12, 0-0)

Sunday, 1 Sep 24:
#23 USC (B1G, 0-0) @ #13 LSU (SEC, 0-0)

Monday, 2 Sep 24:
Boston College (ACC, 0-0) @ #10 Florida State (ACC, 0-0)

Shorthand:
FSU1 @ GT
WCU @ NCSU
UNC @ MIN
TEM @ OK
FAU @ MSU
EL @ DK
TCU @ ST
CLE @ GA
PSU @ WVU
AK @ OSU
CSU @ TX
EMU @ UMass + tie break total combined points (over/under is 49.5)
DaU @ FL
WKU @ AL
ID @ OR
ND @ TAM
FSU2 @ MI
UCLA @ HI
NMU @ AZ
USC @ LSU
BC @ FSU1
OMG. :shock:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Wait, the one time I picked, I based my choices on the uniforms. DId I do it wrong?
101010 :towel:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

You did it EXACTLY RIGHT!

When you join the sportsball group, you'll have exclusive access to the can't-miss Hot Jock Pick System™ ® 2024: viewtopic.php?t=2685
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:45 am Wait, the one time I picked, I based my choices on the uniforms. DId I do it wrong?
No, no, that's how a lot of people do it. I do it by team names, like (Anybody) Tigers vs. (Delaware) Blue Hens. I mean, tigers against chickens, how fair is that? Why are the hens blue, anyhow?

It gets harder when the Temple Owls play the Rice Owls. Those games are hard to figure out! :confuzzled:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Does this help ensure a Harris-Walz win if i participate ?
I'm looking for a WIN!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:32 am No, no, that's how a lot of people do it. I do it by team names, like (Anybody) Tigers vs. (Delaware) Blue Hens. I mean, tigers against chickens, how fair is that? Why are the hens blue, anyhow?

It gets harder when the Temple Owls play the Rice Owls. Those games are hard to figure out! :confuzzled:
No worries for you on that one this year, or any prior year. They have never played.

There was an Owl pillow fight last year but it was the Florida Atlantic Owls against the Rice Owls. I would have lost on that pick because my natural instinct would be to pick Rice to lose. They actually won, and even went to a bowl game, which I would have not predicted (though they were only 6-6).

This year's owl fight is Temple vs. FAU.

I have a Certificate in Fundraising Operations from Rice. It would appear that I have attachments to schools with stellar football teams (I have also had a few courses through Northwestern).
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”