The Media are the Goddam Problem

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:45 am For news now, I am using the Google News aggregator, which shows headlines from a lot of different sources, so I can get a feeling for a story before wasting time on it. Als, I follow Tech, Science, a few other topics.
I also read International news
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Flatpoint High wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:33 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:45 am For news now, I am using the Google News aggregator, which shows headlines from a lot of different sources, so I can get a feeling for a story before wasting time on it. Als, I follow Tech, Science, a few other topics.
I also read International news
Same here. I have completely dumped CNN, although sometimes I watch a short segment on YouTube. Their treatment of Joe Biden disgusted me. And of course, giving a pass on every damn thing Trump does has always irritated me.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I follow international news too, but I didn't mention it because I was told many years ago that only 4% of Americans follow any foreign policy or events. The vast majority of our fellow countryfolk have no idea where the border of Iraq and Ukraine is, to this very day. :lol:
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

For several decades, CNN International was all there was for folks living overseas. It was a terrific channel, mainly because it was so much more effing woke than CNN domestic. They did news; they did not repeat racist tropes or give endless opinions. I watched it for a long time after I got back to the States in 2005. I haven't for a while; will have to give it another try.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:59 am I follow international news too, but I didn't mention it because I was told many years ago that only 4% of Americans follow any foreign policy or events. The vast majority of our fellow countryfolk have no idea where the border of Iraq and Ukraine is, to this very day. :lol:
So true. Even aside from that, foreign news sources often have more intelligent and honest reporting about US news. I get not only news from around the world, but even better reporting about things here at home from sources. Why, just this morning I heard Harris is headed to Wisconsin for a rally from.... Al Jazeera. CNN is likely just pointing out "why xxxxx is bad for Harris". No thanks, I'd prefer to have at least a passing chance of finding out what is going on in the world around me, and even closer to home.

Here at home my local ABC station has not been consumed by Sinclair. Thank goodness. So, that is another source of news I go for.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

When I have time, I do what Foggy does and hit Google News, which I have personalized to restrict some new sources entirely that I never want to hear from, just to get a feel for what's out there before settling on what article seems the most reasonable.

When I don't have time, I just check out The Guardian.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”