Religious Threadjacks

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Moi aussi!!!! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Religious Threadjacks

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was at my niece's bridal shower on Saturday and the guests were mostly conservative Christians. They were there to celebrate my niece's upcoming wedding so politics, etc. was not really a thing there. I'm not sure how the subject came up, but I was chatting with the woman who was a horseback riding instructor and she was bemoaning the fact that the rainbow symbol had been hijacked and so she couldn't use it in her Sunday School class (or something like that). I pointed out that all she had to do was include Noah's ark with the rainbow and everything would be good. She hadn't thought about that.

:roll: :brickwallsmall:
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

Well, I was talking with a teacher in England last year who was pissed that his bosses had told him he cant have his kids painting Rainbows anymore because "its disrespectful." I said to tell them the Pride flag has 6 colours not 7, therefore it is not a classical rainbow, and to let his kids paint whatever the heck they want.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cx77ve1djjlo
'Sadness' as church rejects baptism changes

A Church of Ireland parishioner has said she is saddened that her attempt to stop ministers refusing to baptise children of single or unmarried parents has failed.

Patricia Barker submitted the motion to the church's Synod, which makes church laws.

Currently it is up to individual clergy to decide whether or not to baptise children of single or unmarried parents.

The motion was passed by the lay members of the Synod but was rejected by the clergy by 72 votes to 69, meaning it failed.
Getty A 6 month old baby boy is baptizedGetty

'Appalled'

Ms Barker told BBC News NI she brought the motion because she was "appalled" that some parishes were not baptising children if their mothers were not married.

"In Ireland we’ve come through a terrible period of victimising women using terms like ‘fallen woman’ in relation to unmarried mothers and I genuinely thought we’d moved on," she said.

"I felt saddened and let down when the motion was rejected. I feel the result really doesn’t represent the church I belong to which is one of inclusion over exclusion."

She said she hoped it would shine a light on what she described as a "bad practice".
'
Impaired engagement'

One of the clergy who voted against the motion was Archdeacon of Derry the Venerable Robert Miller.

He said in 30 years as a Church of Ireland minister he had never denied baptism but instead took it as an opportunity to "welcome, engage and disciple".

Archdeacon Miller said he opposed the motion as he did not believe a minister should be told they "must" baptise.

This, he said, would have "impaired this engagement between minister and parishioner – an engagement built on trust".

"The shared commitment to love, to pray, to teach and to be an example – made in the baptismal liturgy – is made within the fellowship of the church," he said.

"I still believe the motion was unnecessary since the Church of Ireland’s generous orthodoxy around the sacrament of baptism is already enshrined in the canons.”
*cough* The Roman Catholic Church has no problem baptising Children of single parents. *Cough*
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Religious Threadjacks

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Matthew 19:14 (NIV version) -
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cx77ve1djjlo
:snippity:

Archdeacon Miller said he opposed the motion as he did not believe a minister should be told they "must" baptise.

This, he said, would have "impaired this engagement between minister and parishioner – an engagement built on trust".
Then the Church wonders why people leave the Church, could it be a loss of trust? :think:
qbawl

Religious Threadjacks

Post by qbawl »

When I was an altar boy (yes, an atheist too) 4 - 8th grade. I seem to recall that anyone could baptize and the RC church considered it valid. I don't recall the cat my buddy Jerry baptized ever attending mass though.
sugar magnolia

Religious Threadjacks

Post by sugar magnolia »

qbawl wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:34 pm When I was an altar boy (yes, an atheist too) 4 - 8th grade. I seem to recall that anyone could baptize and the RC church considered it valid. I don't recall the cat my buddy Jerry baptized ever attending mass though.
Sort of. There are certain requirements and circumstances for lay people to perform a valid baptism.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You could baptize if someone was dying and you knew they were not baptized a Roman Catholic.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Foggy »

I heard the dude who baptized Jesus didn't have a license. :blackeye:

Oh Hai, I'm just waiting for the verdict. :wave:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Sam the Centipede

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:17 pm I heard the dude who baptized Jesus didn't have a license. :blackeye:

Oh Hai, I'm just waiting for the verdict. :wave:
No no, I've seen the pictures: those old folk didn't use paper certificates. Instead they wore halos around their heads to show they were certified to perform deity-adjacent aqueous rites and general dogoodery, including attracting immolation.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Religious Threadjacks

Post by zekeb »

My doorbell rang yesterday. It's usually a neighbor wanting something, so I decided to answer the ring. Opening the door, I said "oh crap" to myself. It was an older woman in a mid-calf length dress and a little girl - maybe age 10. They were obviously JW. Not to be unpleasant, which I usually am, I didn't slam the door in their faces. So starts the conversation:

JW: Hello, we're here to bring comfort to your life.

Me: Okay.

JW: Do you think we can end all the madness and pain and suffering in this corrupt world?

Me: Well, umm... I don't have an answer for that. You know, the world has seen worse times.

JW: Do you think Jesus can help? (I was a bit taken aback. She didn't refer to him as Jehovah)

Me: I don't know. I'm not one to second-guess what he can do or how he can do anything.

JW: The answer in in the Bible.

Me: That depends on how you interpret certain parts of the Bible. Actually, I've a bit more optimistic. I don't see all those problems. The world isn't perfect, but it never has been. There are so many Christians who don't preach what Jesus preached. They couldn't care less about their fellow man.

JW: Okay. Thank you for your time.

Off they went to bother my neighbor.
Largo al factotum.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

Shrek has risen.jpeg
Shrek has risen.jpeg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
p0rtia

Religious Threadjacks

Post by p0rtia »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
poplove

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

IMG_1856.jpeg
IMG_1856.jpeg (81.95 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Flatpoint High »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:13 pm You could baptize if someone was dying and you knew they were not baptized a Roman Catholic.
The Mormons do mass baptizims of non-mormon dead. They even 'baptized' my distant cousin, Ann Frank
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Religious Threadjacks

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 pm
*cough* The Roman Catholic Church has no problem baptising Children of single parents.*Cough*
Neither does the Church of Ireland.

The Church of Ireland is not Roman Catholic and no mention of the RC church was made or implied in any way. Nor was it suggested it was Church policy to deny Baptism, but it was up to the involved clergy to decide who they would or would not baptise.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Sam the Centipede

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Sam the Centipede »

There is an old joke about the elderly, sick Ulster Protestant lying in his bed. He knows his time is short so he asks his wife, "Mary, please go over to St Patrick's church and fetch the priest." Mary is shocked, her husband is a lifelong Orangeman, always put on his bowler hat and sash to join the marches, bigoted to the core. "Why so, she asks, why on earth would you wish to do that?" He gasps, draws a breath and says "I want to be baptised, better that a bloody Catholic dies than a good Protestant!"
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

keith wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:19 am
Suranis wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 pm
*cough* The Roman Catholic Church has no problem baptising Children of single parents.*Cough*
Neither does the Church of Ireland.

The Church of Ireland is not Roman Catholic and no mention of the RC church was made or implied in any way. Nor was it suggested it was Church policy to deny Baptism, but it was up to the involved clergy to decide who they would or would not baptise.
Which is one reason that was written in tiny case, showing it was clearly written a bit tounge in cheek. Especially as certain quarters had been filling threads with their Catholiphobia and anti-me crap at the time.
Hic sunt dracones
poplove

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

IMG_1866.jpeg
IMG_1866.jpeg (90.68 KiB) Viewed 803 times
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Religious Threadjacks

Post by northland10 »

poplove wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:09 pmIMG_1866.jpeg
:rotflmao:
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Christian Hate Preachers Were Denied Service at Milwaukee Subway During RNC

Queer News Tonight
23 Jul 2024

At the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, a group of Christian hate preachers faced an unexpected snub at a local Subway restaurant. The four white men, donning t-shirts emblazoned with inflammatory messages such as “Abortion is murder” and “Homo sex is sin (Romans I),” were denied service by a Subway employee. In a video shared on Facebook, the group is seen confronting the staff member, with one of the preachers saying, “She’s refusing to serve us.” The employee confirms this, saying the decision is based on the messages written on preachers' shirts. The incident has sparked outrage from far-right commentators, with The Daily Mail accusing Subway of religious discrimination. The tabloid’s report implied that the men had the right to display their contentious views without facing backlash, though it notably blurred out the offensive anti-LGBTQ message on one of the shirts. The group is led by notorious street preacher David Grisham, who has previously caused controversies with his disruptive stunts. Despite the controversy, many locals were in support of the employee's decision and showed disdain for the provocative display. One local resident remarked that he would rather have some radical love exhibited in Christ’s name around here than have a traveling road show on their shirts.
pipistrelle

Religious Threadjacks

Post by pipistrelle »

It's hard to say it's religious discrimination. You know if they'd walked in with verses from the Sermon on the Mount no one would have batted an eye. Of course they know that too.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

Doesn't a business have a right to turn away customers? No shoes, no shirt, no service.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Religious Threadjacks

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:21 pm Doesn't a business have a right to turn away customers? No shoes, no shirt, no service.
Yes. And if they are hiding behind religion to promote hateful messages offensive to workers and other customers, they can be refused. And were.

It's not discrimination based on religion. They got booted out for being assholes.

The Subway franchisee stood with the crew leader/workers. Subway corp did not get involved.

And local news did not blow this up.

Return to “Religion and Politics”