SCOTUS

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

Bang up job, I would say.
https://x.com/NikkiMcR/status/1807795765122609231
nikki mccann ramírez @NikkiMcR wrote: in the last 10 days the Supreme Court has ruled that the president can do crimes, bribery is legal, agencies have no actual authority, and also that the homeless can be thrown in prison for the crime of not having a home.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

https://x.com/robertjdenault/status/1807799342327030133
Robert J. DeNault @robertjdenault wrote: Notably much of the Mueller Report Vol. 2’s findings that Trump obstructed justice by firing James Comey as FBI Director, trying to curtail Mueller, ordering McGahn to fire Mueller, dangling pardons to Flynn and others is now absolutely immune from criminal prosecution.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:35 am It will come down to judging whether or not any presidential act is in his official capacity or not. And THAT ruling will come down to whatever court it's in. So if Project 2025 become an official presidential doctrine, then all the horrors contained therein will be legal act of the president.

Can Biden appoint "acting" Supreme court justices, like Trump did with cabinet members? No need for senate confirmation.
That would be bad enough, but there is another layer of monarchy: There is a presumption* that _any_ communication POTUS has with his staff, DOJ, and other officials is in an official capacity, and _cannot_ be used to prove malign intent. So that burden has to be overcome. IOW, fuckhead telling Pence to break the law is not admissible evidence. Which is two-thirds of the case against fuckhead.

As Maya Wiley said, this is a ruling written to get fuckhead off the hook.
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

:winner:
https://x.com/BradMossEsq/status/1807787529850216606
Bradley P. Moss @BradMossEsq wrote: The Supreme Court just ruled that a president can have the military execute them and the president is immune from prosecution for it.
What are we waiting for? They are a clear and present danger.

We won't even need to expand the court, just make some room.
sugar magnolia

SCOTUS

Post by sugar magnolia »

And so begins the interminable arguments about who decides what constitutes an "official" act. It already takes several years to decide if a cop has killed someone "officially" if he shoots somebody while off-duty but in uniform, or even if on-duty. The clusterfuck of epic proportions (with balloons) that will result is mind boggling.
Dr. Ken

SCOTUS

Post by Dr. Ken »

Hopefully the next court undoes this damage of the last week.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

https://x.com/matthewstoller/status/1807798381760176193
Matt Stoller @matthewstoller wrote: For kicks the Supreme Court retroactively made Watergate legal.
sad-cafe

SCOTUS

Post by sad-cafe »

Come on Dark Brandon-you have your mission now, I expect it done before the 4th of July
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:35 amCan Biden appoint "acting" Supreme court justices, like Trump did with cabinet members? No need for senate confirmation.
No.

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:48 am And so begins the interminable arguments about who decides what constitutes an "official" act. It already takes several years to decide if a cop has killed someone "officially" if he shoots somebody while off-duty but in uniform, or even if on-duty. The clusterfuck of epic proportions (with balloons) that will result is mind boggling.
Yup. The Florida case in particular will wallow in this delay-creating (at best) ruling.

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:58 am Hopefully the next court undoes this damage of the last week.
What next court?

Thomas is 75 and Alito is 73. I'll take the over on Biden winning and them not retiring ("etc.") while he's in office.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:58 am Hopefully the next court undoes this damage of the last week.
What next court do you envision?
Dr. Ken

SCOTUS

Post by Dr. Ken »

bob wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:15 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:48 am And so begins the interminable arguments about who decides what constitutes an "official" act. It already takes several years to decide if a cop has killed someone "officially" if he shoots somebody while off-duty but in uniform, or even if on-duty. The clusterfuck of epic proportions (with balloons) that will result is mind boggling.
Yup. The Florida case in particular will wallow in this delay-creating (at best) ruling.

I'm sure that's a relief for Cannon now she doesn't have do anything.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

https://x.com/tedlieu/status/1807811514835099755
Ted Lieu @tedlieu wrote: The extreme Justices on the Court, three of whom were appointed by Trump, JUST MADE SHIT UP to protect him.

NOWHERE IN THE CONSTITUTION DOES THE WORD “IMMUNITY” APPEAR.

This is radical judicial activism by the MAGA Justices.
Adam Klasfeld @KlasfeldReports wrote: Sotomayor's dissent:

"Orders the Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune. Organizes a military coup to hold onto power? Immune. Takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune."
sterngard friegen

SCOTUS

Post by sterngard friegen »

On December 1, 2023, after the D.C. Circuit opinion in Blasingame relating to Presidential civil immunity for official acts, I emailed Andrew Weissman and told him that was the way the D.C. Circuit might decide the Trump criminal immunity case. I never heard from Professor Weissman. He must have thought I was nuts. The D.C. CIrcuit didn't do what I suggested it might. Sadly, today, SCOTUS did.

All I can say is thanks to Merrick Garland for sitting on his ass for a year and dithering, prosecuting trespassers while the lead conspirator was allowed to stay free and lie to his heart's content. This is on Merrick Garland as much as the 6 outlaws on SCOTUS.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

That too (also) should be worth another year of delay (each) in the federal cases.

And some delay in Georgia.

I doubt this will meaningfully delay the case in New York.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

https://x.com/AOC/status/1807814421168710111
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC wrote: The Supreme Court has become consumed by a corruption crisis beyond its control.

Today’s ruling represents an assault on American democracy. It is up to Congress to defend our nation from this authoritarian capture.

I intend on filing articles of impeachment upon our return.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

SCOTUS

Post by Slim Cognito »

Now that Trump is immune from his presidential crimes, will he start bragging at his rallies about all the crimes he committed and laugh that they can't touch him?

Cuz I can see that happening.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

SCOTUS

Post by sugar magnolia »

SCOTUS = Screwing Citizens Of The U. S.?
That's how I see it. :crying:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

SCOTUS

Post by Foggy »

I weep for my country. :cry:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

As others have noted, impeachment of the president is basically a dead letter now. For Republican presidents at least.

While impeachment always has been inherently political, basically now any member of Congress can say, "I'm voting not to impeach/convict because the president had immunity and therefore no crime was committed."
Image ImageImage
realist

SCOTUS

Post by realist »

IMO, one of the scarietst parts of the opinion (setting aside Thomas' invitation to Trump to attack the legality of Smith's appointment with SCOTUS and they'll fix that also) is on Page 21. It's this pronouncement, which is jaw dropping, and I will explain why. To me at least.

"Trump is therefore absolutely immune from prosecution for the alleged conduct involving his discussions with Justice Department officials."

The AG and Justice Department employees are not the President's attorneys. He has his own counsel. Even with your own counsel there is a fraud crime exception (see the FL documents case). The court is saying there is no such exception here. Therefore, the President can discuss hiring hitmen to get rid of his opponents and those discussions can't be used in a future prosecution. Now if the President discusses with his own counsel about hiring a hitman it could potentially be admissible. How does that make any sense? The court is encouraging the President to use justice department officials to assist with illegal acts over his own counsel or private actors, because there is absolute immunity
Image X 4
Image X 32
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

Same.

It's a license for autocracy.

If that had been the law* in 2020, Biden would never have taken office.
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

This is a good point, as SCOTUS also made itself the final decider.

Between this and the scrapping of Chevron, the real power is being consolidated by a small, untouchable group.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

SCOTUS

Post by RTH10260 »

Just skipping over everything to the end for this Question:

Did SCOTUS define what a official acts is, cause I do not see anything different to before?
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

The three justices who are not treasonous should appear tonight on every network and cable channel explaining that our democracy is technically over.

Every night from now on.
New Turtle

SCOTUS

Post by New Turtle »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:31 pm Just skipping over everything to the end for this Question:

Did SCOTUS define what a official acts is, cause I do not see anything different to before?
They say it's for other courts to decide, then they have the option to review if asked.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”