Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

It's a new state law and applies to every mail-in ballot. They were all cancelled and everyone has to start over.
tek

Ron DeSantis

Post by tek »

Palm Beach County tries very hard to keep voters on the rolls.. when that law was enacted, we got several letters from the county telling us to make sure we're all good..
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

Many have second thoughts after moving to Florida during the pandemic | Wed, May 29
Few states had a bigger population boom than Florida during the Covid pandemic. But now, many who moved there have decided that Florida is not for them, citing high inflation and the state's politics, among other things. NBC News' Shannon Pettypiece reports.
Video: https://apple.news/AdFgkVWucQpWF6cEuIicPzg
Original NBC News: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi ... 1889733831

#1 reason for leaving? The politics. With an honorable mention to the rising cost of things such as auto and home insurance, and real estate prices.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron DeSantis

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:57 pm #1 reason for leaving? The politics. With an honorable mention to the rising cost of things such as auto and home insurance, and real estate prices.
....price increases caused by policies which are the result of politics, of course.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
tek

Ron DeSantis

Post by tek »

Can confirm, though we moved here just before COVID...
The GOP majority is laser-focused on everything but the needs of their constituents. And it shows.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've got my place up for sale...cheap!!! In my case, it's all of the above, plus PTSD from Hurricane Ian. I'm terrified of getting hit again and then I'm stuck here for another two years trying to rebuild. But most people I talk to shrug their shoulders at hurricane talk. Fine for them and better for me, but even if you mention La Nina, the usual response is, "Every year they say this will be a bad year and it never is." Remember, these are the same people who now believe the trump administration was Utopia on Earth.

But I'm one of thousands just in this area trying to sell so it's an uphill battle. Apparently people are still buying but there's so much available, they can have their pick. And new builds are still going up hugely. From what my realtor friends have told me, you can get a brand new house for what many of these resales are asking.

Everyone send good juju my way.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

Good luck on your listing, slim. I think I heard on the news recently there were about 2,000 on market in the Cape.

Its crazy they keep building new stuff as well without a supporting infrastructure. Insanity. This place is hell.
Resume18

Ron DeSantis

Post by Resume18 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:09 pm I've got my place up for sale...cheap!!! In my case, it's all of the above, plus PTSD from Hurricane Ian. I'm terrified of getting hit again and then I'm stuck here for another two years trying to rebuild. But most people I talk to shrug their shoulders at hurricane talk. Fine for them and better for me, but even if you mention La Nina, the usual response is, "Every year they say this will be a bad year and it never is." Remember, these are the same people who now believe the trump administration was Utopia on Earth.

But I'm one of thousands just in this area trying to sell so it's an uphill battle. Apparently people are still buying but there's so much available, they can have their pick. And new builds are still going up hugely. From what my realtor friends have told me, you can get a brand new house for what many of these resales are asking.

Everyone send good juju my way.
Good luck to you. I can't believe I almost built there.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

I tried to talk both my brother and son into coming here. I am so glad they didn't. But they moved to Missouri and Dallas, Texas respectively so, other than hurricanes, I'm not sure they're that much better off.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

https://twitter.com/ajdelgado13/status/ ... 1140310450
Ron DeSantis @GovRonDeSantis wrote: Former President Donald Trump hasn't lost his voting rights in Florida. Rights are not removed in Florida where they haven't yet been stripped in the convicting jurisdiction.

That said, given the absurd nature of the New York prosecution of Trump, this would be an easy case to qualify for restoration of rights per the Florida Clemency Board, which I chair.

The bottom line is that Donald Trump’s vote this November will be one of millions that demonstrate Florida is now a solid Republican state!
A.J. Delgado @AJDelgado13]
But this is especially gross, considering your administration went after felons (mostly black ones) for the crime of (checks notes) voting, and had police officers show up at their homes and put them in cuffs.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Can't have the people just straight up voting their will on these things!
DeSantis’ ‘Freedom Fund’ will target abortion, pot amendments on Florida ballot
DeSantis’ new political committee will also get involved in school board races in the state.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has launched a new political committee to target a pair of ballot initiatives on abortion access and legalizing marijuana in Florida, as he looks to block policies Democrats believe will bring them back into relevancy in the state.

The committee — called the Florida Freedom Fund — was quietly launched late last month and its official chair is James Uthmeier, the governor’s chief of staff who also worked as campaign manager for DeSantis’ run for president.

The creation of the committee — which did not report raising any money in the final week of May — comes as DeSantis tries to reassert control over his home state after his failed presidential run. It reinforces that DeSantis primary political goal for the 2024 election is the defeat of the amendments, both of which have already raised millions of dollars.

A person familiar with DeSantis’ plans — but not authorized to speak publicly — said the political committee would not only target the two amendments, but also get involved in school board races.

“As Gov. Ron DeSantis continues to lead our great state, the Florida Freedom Fund will be championing issues and candidates committed to preserving Floridians’ freedom,” said Taryn Fenske, a spokesperson for the governor. “From up and down ballot races to critical amendments, we’re steadfast in our mission to keep Florida free.”
:snippity:
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/1 ... t-00162567
Welll dagnabit, they sure do have a strange idea of "free."
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Aaron Reichlin-Melnick @ReichlinMelnick wrote: Hilarious. Governor DeSantis claimed in March that Florida has helped the Coast Guard stop 13,500 migrants in Florida waters.

This was apparently news to the Coast Guard, which said that number is higher than all interdictions across US waters in the entire Caribbean combined.
MN-Skeptic

Ron DeSantis

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Chris “Law Dork” Geidner
@chrisgeidner

BREAKING: Federal judge rules that Florida’s ban on gender-affirming medical care for minors and many of its restrictions on similar adult care are unconstitutional. More to come at Law Dork. https://lawdork.com

Here is the 105-page opinion from Judge Robert Hinkle, a Clinton appointee who has overseen several challenges to Florida’s anti-transgender policies:

On pages 25–29, Hinkle addresses Eknes-Tucker, the 11th Circuit ruling reversing a preliminary injunction against Alabama’s similar ban as to minors, and other prior decisions. Florida is in the 11th Circuit, so this analysis is key to his being able to rule how he does.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .224.0.pdf
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Carlos Guillermo Smith @CarlosGSmith wrote: DEVASTATING: DeSantis just vetoed Cultural & Museum and facility grants that funded 577 arts programs and 33 facilities across Florida.

These funds would have secured even more matching dollars for exponential rate of return.

This is insane and never happened in modern history.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:11 pm https://twitter.com/CarlosGSmith/status ... 9941851460
Carlos Guillermo Smith @CarlosGSmith wrote: DEVASTATING: DeSantis just vetoed Cultural & Museum and facility grants that funded 577 arts programs and 33 facilities across Florida.

These funds would have secured even more matching dollars for exponential rate of return.

This is insane and never happened in modern history.
Hmmm - the Nazis in Germany also had a fear of degenerate art. And the former Führer of the WH had inspirations of Speer in city construction plans.
Suranis

Ron DeSantis

Post by Suranis »

Er... Hitler was an Artist... so that's not really true as such. They burned books by Authors seen as enemies of the State, but they did it because they were enemies of the state. That didn't mean the Nazis hated Art as such.

Hating "degenerate art" might be true of American Fascism, but defaulting to "The NAZIs DiD ThIs TOo,", is just going to start arguments and discredit the whole thing about whether they are Fascists.
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:24 am Er... Hitler was an Artist... so that's not really true as such. They burned books by Authors seen as enemies of the State, but they did it because they were enemies of the state. That didn't mean the Nazis hated Art as such.

Hating "degenerate art" might be true of American Fascism, but defaulting to "The NAZIs DiD ThIs TOo,", is just going to start arguments and discredit the whole thing about whether they are Fascists.
Or maybe the Nazis hated "degenerate art" so much they had a special exhibit for it.
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/3868
Suranis

Ron DeSantis

Post by Suranis »

And, according to that, sold them for cash. :batting:

And, the question remains; if they hated them so much, why didn't they destroy them. :shrug:
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

Wasn’t there a movie made about trying to recover all the great artwork that the Nazis stole? Some of which was never recovered.

ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:29 am And, according to that, sold them for cash. :batting:

And, the question remains; if they hated them so much, why didn't they destroy them. :shrug:
Actually, they did, according to the article you apparently didn't read, it also says
Some of those works were later destroyed; others, officially declared “internationally marketable,” were sold through art dealers acting on behalf of the German government.
There were at least 2 large public bonfires, one destroying about 4,000 paintings in Berlin and another in Paris a few years later that burned artwork from artists such as Klee and Miro. In addition to the known destruction of thousands of pieces of art, either intentional or as a result of the war, many more are unaccounted for. Some gaps in the history of the Nazi art destruction and looting were filled in about 10 years ago by the discovery of the Gurlitt Trove but that also included some old masters in addition to the degenerate art.

So yes, they intentionally destroyed the ones which had no commercial value and couldn't be sold, and they sold the ones they could to finance their war, which further destroyed many more.
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:19 am Wasn’t there a movie made about trying to recover all the great artwork that the Nazis stole? Some of which was never recovered.
'The Monuments Men'
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Ron DeSantis

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:26 am
Suranis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:29 am And, according to that, sold them for cash. :batting:

Actually, they did, according to the article you apparently didn't read, it also says
Some of those works were later destroyed; others, officially declared “internationally marketable,” were sold through art dealers acting on behalf of the German government.
There were at least 2 large public bonfires, one destroying about 4,000 paintings in Berlin and another in Paris a few years later that burned artwork from artists such as Klee and Miro. In addition to the known destruction of thousands of pieces of art, either intentional or as a result of the war, many more are unaccounted for. Some gaps in the history of the Nazi art destruction and looting were filled in about 10 years ago by the discovery of the Gurlitt Trove but that also included some old masters in addition to the degenerate art.

So yes, they intentionally destroyed the ones which had no commercial value and couldn't be sold, and they sold the ones they could to finance their war, which further destroyed many more.
Hitler did not like modern art like expressionism. It was not "germanic" enough for him. He was more of a romantic in that regards (much like his love for Wagner). IIRC, Goering did like modern art, however, he understood the needs of good German propaganda, and supporting Hitler. I would not be surprised if some paintings that were sold or "lost" instead of destroyed may have been done so at his request.

The Nazi wives also liked the French fashions which were increasingly banned (because French, and many of the designers were Jewish). The ladies would still find ways to smuggle in their favorite fashions.

Don't expect consistency from extremists.
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Ron DeSantis

Post by Suranis »

Why do you say I didn't read it when I spoke about how the article says they sold some of them? I know you are desperate to hurt me, humiliate me, and "prove" that I am stupid, but at least don't make stupid statements when you are doing it. That's counter-productive to your Inquisitorial Crusade as it makes you look stupid.

Anyway, Northland's comment was very informative. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:47 am
Why do you say I didn't read it when I spoke about how the article says they sold some of them? I know you are desperate to hurt me, humiliate me, and "prove" that I am stupid, but at least don't make stupid statements when you are doing it. That's counter-productive to your Inquisitorial Crusade as it makes you look stupid.

Anyway, Northland's comment was very informative. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
You asked a specific question. "Why didn't they destroy them?" and I answered with actual manner, time and place of the destruction.

RTH made a perfectly accurate statement that didn't even mention Hitler, then you jumped in about them burning books (writing is an art) but not hating art and using "the nazis did it too" is somehow proving your point about "American fascism."

My last comments on this tortured conversation....
Degenerate art is an art movement, not a description of the art itself.
The term Degenerate art was adopted by the Nazis to identify Modernism art, and a shit ton of art that was considered contemporary but not traditional. Nobody has claimed that Hitler hated art. Visual arts were actively supported by both Hitler and the Nazis, as long as it advanced their ideas of racial purity and Nazi ideals.
Nazi Germany passed laws and created Gov't agencies to rid themselves of Degenerate art in visual art, music, books, movies, etc.
The original description and definition of Degenerate art (and the book the movement is based on) was developed from what is basically a claim that a person's character could be determined by their physical appearance. The author extrapolated that into the idea that artists producing Degenerate art were those who were mentally disturbed and were therefore deemed unworthy.
Northland made some good points and touched a bit on how the women were drawn into this too, mentioning the coveted French fashions. The French also sustained losses of their jewelry and furniture and other decorative possessions because much of it was deemed Degenerate and too French-looking so it was stolen for the wives who wanted it. One of our German exchange students told us a family story about a looted piece her grandmother (?) had possession of that had to be returned.
Suranis

Ron DeSantis

Post by Suranis »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:40 am You asked a specific question. "Why didn't they destroy them?" and I answered with actual manner, time and place of the destruction.
Sorry, you are not going to do a Trumpian "I didn't do that I really say that, and if I did I didn't mean that! And if I did why you so sensitive!" bullshit. You sneeringly declared that I didn't read the article. In fact I did, its just My eyes missed the bit about them destroying the Art. You could have just said that, but you tried to get in a stab and a victory lap. And followed it up with a sneering piece of bullshit to try and twist the knife.

Sorry I did a bit of textual Akido, turned it around, and made you look a bit dumb for it.

So your victory lap over me turned into a car crash. Again.

Newsflash: I don't care that I was wrong about the art stuff. I love it. It means that my worldview has been corrected and I now have new information to digest. What pisses me off is you leaping in with the sneering and attacking and trying to pretend I am a stupid hateful little shit AGAIN. I'm tired of it. Grow the hell up. We both have to share this insignificant piece of rock and know that there's someone out there with opinions we don't like. So just pull your socks up and deal with it.

Enjoy this piece of Degenerate Art.

Not see.jpg
Not see.jpg (94.79 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”