Food but not recipes

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Decades ago the petrochemical company I worked for in association with Nestle developed a process to produce chocolate from crude oil. I worked with an engineer who had tried the result. He said it was very good. However oil prices jumped soon after so the project was abandoned.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Oregon officials close entire coast to mussel harvesting due to shellfish poisoning
Oregon authorities have closed the state's entire coastline to mussel harvesting due to an outbreak of shellfish poisoning they described as “unprecedented.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ore ... -110747937
Oregon authorities have closed the state's entire coastline to mussel harvesting due to an “unprecedented” outbreak of shellfish poisoning that has sickened at least 20 people.

They've also closed parts of the Oregon coast to harvesting razor clams, bay clams and oysters.

“We've had a paralytic shellfish poisoning event in Oregon that we have never seen in the state,” Matthew Hunter, shellfish program manager for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, said during a briefing on Friday. The outbreak’s unprecedented nature was due both to the number of species impacted and the number of people falling ill, he said.

Oregon's Department of Fish and Wildlife and Department of Agriculture announced the new closures Thursday. Elevated levels of toxins were first detected in shellfish on the state's central and north coasts on May 17, Hunter said.

State health officials are asking people who have harvested or eaten Oregon shellfish since May 13 to fill out a survey that's meant to help investigators identify the cause of the outbreak and the number of people sickened.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Yet another reason to avoid shelled seafood.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:49 am Yet another reason to avoid shelled seafood.
And spinach and chicken and?
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

Well, kinda hard to follow up behind horror movies about Red Lobster and poison oysters, but here goes ....

I ate fried cactus last night.

It was my neighbor's 50th birthday party yesterday, and she threw a humdinger of a celebration. Her whole famdamly was there along with a tonne of us neighbors. Her father and grandfather did all the cooking in the backyard on several large gas flattops and grills. Massive buffet table filled with food. A dozen or more tables spread out for us to sit at.

Grilled chicken, grilled garlic shrimp, kabobs, rice, stuffed mushrooms, salads, fresh fruit, tortillas, Texas toast, an assortment of red, green, and white chili sauces, and prickly pear cactus leaves fried on the flat top.

Not bad. Actually, it had no flavor. Taste and texture were akin to cooked asparagus minus the slight bitterness asp can have sometimes. You sauce it up. Eat it with a bite of chicken or shrimp. A bit of cactus with the spicy pickled red onions on a corn tortilla with a squeeze of lime and a dribble of the red sauce was pretty darn good.

YMMV
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:49 am Yet another reason to avoid shelled seafood.
I never eat anything with an exoskeleton.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Estiveo
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Estiveo »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:53 pm
More sea-bugs for me! And bivalves and gastropods and cephalopods!
🦐🦞🦀🐚🐌🐙🦑
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:27 am
Maybenaut wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:53 pm
More sea-bugs for me! And bivalves and gastropods and cephalopods!
🦐🦞🦀🐚🐌🐙🦑
:sick: :vomit:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

Strawberries and yogurt on day old donuts! Yum!

I did not take a picture. I just ate it.
bill_g

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

There's no such thing as leftover bisquits. [trump_truth]In some states, it's illegal to possess uneaten bisquits. Can you imagine such a thing?[/trump_truth] But, living alone, it's bound to happen. The recipe says use this much flour, this much butter, etc, etc. Even halving the recipe, you still end up with four bisquits in the basket after dinner. What are you gonna do?

I came up with a couple remedies: a bisquit bake, and croutons.

The bisquit bake is a baked casserole of scrambled eggs, crumbled breakfast sausage, and cheese over cubed day old bisquits. On my first attempt the bisquits weren't stale enough. They soaked up too much of the scrambled eggs, and never cooked through before the rest of the dish was browning. Kinda mushy. I like soft scrambled eggs, but I'm not fond of wet bread. So, I decided to toast the cubed bisquits before adding the other ingredients. That fixed them. They soaked up a little bit of egg, but overall stayed crunchy. I'm sure you could add other bits like onions or bacon, or you could skip the cheese. You're eating it. Make it your way.

The toasted bisquits gave me an idea about making croutons for a salad. This was a success the very first time I tried it. I like my croutons light and crisp, and I've never thought of bisquits as being either. I cubed them into half inch squares in a stainless steel bowl, drizzled some EVOO over them, salt, pepper, a pinch of basil and oregano, stirred gently, placed in a cold oven, and baked in the bowl. Set the oven to 375F. While those were cooking, I made the salad. When the oven reached temp, I turned it off, and let them coast to the light brown I wanted. I let them rest a couple minutes, poured them into the salad bowl, and served. I was very surprised how well they turned out.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Peter Sellers "The Gourmets" Sketch from Not Only But Also

Andrew Peel
9 Mar 2013

Sketch from the first series of Not Only But Also originally broadcast on 20 March 1965 and starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore with Peter Sellers.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Food but not recipes

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:46 am There's no such thing as leftover bisquits. [trump_truth]In some states, it's illegal to possess uneaten bisquits. Can you imagine such a thing?[/trump_truth]

:snippity:
Yeah well, I've never been a bisquit fan. My mom made great bisquits, but I just didn't go for them.
Scones in Australia are better but no one can figure out the difference between scones and American bisquits (fat content maybe?). Australian bisquits are cookies.

Having said that, bisquits drowned in gravy are terrific.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

bill_g wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:46 am There's no such thing as leftover bisquits. [trump_truth]In some states, it's illegal to possess uneaten bisquits. Can you imagine such a thing?[/trump_truth] But, living alone, it's bound to happen. The recipe says use this much flour, this much butter, etc, etc. Even halving the recipe, you still end up with four bisquits in the basket after dinner. What are you gonna do?

I came up with a couple remedies: a bisquit bake, and croutons.

The bisquit bake is a baked casserole of scrambled eggs, crumbled breakfast sausage, and cheese over cubed day old bisquits. On my first attempt the bisquits weren't stale enough. They soaked up too much of the scrambled eggs, and never cooked through before the rest of the dish was browning. Kinda mushy. I like soft scrambled eggs, but I'm not fond of wet bread. So, I decided to toast the cubed bisquits before adding the other ingredients. That fixed them. They soaked up a little bit of egg, but overall stayed crunchy. I'm sure you could add other bits like onions or bacon, or you could skip the cheese. You're eating it. Make it your way.

The toasted bisquits gave me an idea about making croutons for a salad. This was a success the very first time I tried it. I like my croutons light and crisp, and I've never thought of bisquits as being either. I cubed them into half inch squares in a stainless steel bowl, drizzled some EVOO over them, salt, pepper, a pinch of basil and oregano, stirred gently, placed in a cold oven, and baked in the bowl. Set the oven to 375F. While those were cooking, I made the salad. When the oven reached temp, I turned it off, and let them coast to the light brown I wanted. I let them rest a couple minutes, poured them into the salad bowl, and served. I was very surprised how well they turned out.
Funny thing you should mention problems with bisquits in general. Being a single person, those Pillsbury things in a tube don't stay nice after opening, and rolls in a bag at the bakery shelf are yucky after they go in the freezer. Don't stick your noses in the air until you try them and decide for your self, but Pillsbury (and others) sell biscuits in the freezer aisle (yah, I know they look like hockey pucks), but pop them in a pan in the oven and they puff up nicely for a tasty treat. Even the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits that IMHo were a pain trying to make the mix just right and not have a crumbly mess are a handy alternative. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Mrich

Food but not recipes

Post by Mrich »

I love these 2 guys - Josh and Ollie, their youtube channel name is "Jolly". They post videos of them trying various foods from traveling around the US (their video at Waffle House is a classic; I posted it in the "best on youtube" thread), but they also have posted several videos of them trying out the foods on schoolboys in Britain. Here the kids try American biscuits, gravy, and fried chicken:

The young men are so cute and polite!
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

South Fork

No, we don't shop there. ;)

Hamptons deli charging $120 for pound of lobster salad

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 63634.html
The Red Horse Market in the luxurious area of East Hampton, New York, is known to attract famous faces including Martha Stewart, Alec Baldwin and the Kardashians.

Despite the outrageous price of the salad – which – owners of the deli say that “only some” customers are unwilling to pay. “It’s because of the quality we’ve got to charge these prices,” store manager Chistian Pineda told the New York Post.

“For our customers, they’re primarily focused on quality. The local quality is what they want, especially with our meats and seafoods.”

The gourmet Red Horse Market was opened in the early 1990s by former ad exec Jerry Della Femina and the late David Silver, the founder and CEO of Regency Home Fashions.

The price of one pound of lobster salad from the gourmet deli is just under half of the amount spent on groceries per week by the average American family – $270.21 – according to a study by HelpAdvisor that analyzed the US Census Bureau Household Pulse Survey, released in January.

Such extravagance is not unfamiliar to locals however.

Last year the Seafood Shop in Wainscott – also located in East Hampton – went viral after a customer posted a small tub of the avocado dip which was being sold for $29.51.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Food but not recipes

Post by keith »

Mrich wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:33 pm I love these 2 guys - Josh and Ollie, their youtube channel name is "Jolly". They post videos of them trying various foods from traveling around the US (their video at Waffle House is a classic; I posted it in the "best on youtube" thread), but they also have posted several videos of them trying out the foods on schoolboys in Britain. Here the kids try American biscuits, gravy, and fried chicken:

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzdbFnv4yWQ

The young men are so cute and polite!
All good except for overdosing the tea with sugar. Ice Tea doesn't NEED sugar - but by all means do your own thing.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:01 pm
bill_g wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:46 am There's no such thing as leftover bisquits. [trump_truth]In some states, it's illegal to possess uneaten bisquits. Can you imagine such a thing?[/trump_truth]

Yeah well, I've never been a bisquit fan. My mom made great bisquits, but I just didn't go for them.
Scones in Australia are better but no one can figure out the difference between scones and American bisquits (fat content maybe?). Australian bisquits are cookies.

Having said that, bisquits drowned in gravy are terrific.
I don't eat biscuits often, but when I do, it's Popeye's.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:52 pm All good except for overdosing the tea with sugar. Ice Tea doesn't NEED sugar - but by all means do your own thing.
That's a Southern thing, too also. If'n you are extremely weird :rolleye: and don't want a metric shit ton of sugar in your iced tea, you have to ask for "unsweet" tea.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

The first time I was in the south at Atlanta and went to lunch with clients. Ordered an Ice Tea. One sip and I was thinking wtf is this??? Waitress replaced the diabetes water with normal tea.
Maybenaut

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

Speaking of iced tea…

I used to drink diet coke. A LOT of diet coke. My urologist was like, you need to stop that RIGHT NOW! I tried. It was so hard. I couldn’t do it. Then I went to Nepal where there IS NO diet coke.

I had a cup of tea in the morning and at lunch time (some caffeine but not nearly enough), the occasional fresh lemon soda (seltzer with lemon juice, which is surprisingly refreshing), and water the rest of the time. By the third day (after the no-caffeine headache had mostly gone) I called my husband and told him to get rid of all the diet soda in the house.

So now I drink iced tea. A LOT of iced tea. I make it up from home-made concentrate. I put six and 1/2 quarts of water in my big stock pot and bring it to a boil, then add 40 tea bags, reduce the heat to a simmer, then turn it off after a few minutes. Then I let it steep for a while, then put it into quart jars and put it in the refrigerator.

Each quart jar of concentrate makes one gallon of tea. I’ll store single servings in pint jars and plastic Pure Leaf tea bottles that I’ve saved.

I like my tea lemony and sweet but not too sweet, so I use one packet of sucralose and two packets of True Lemon dehydrated lemon juice, which I add right before I drink it. I have an insulated bag and a few frozen ice packs so I always have cold iced tea with me when I leave the house.

I admit it. I’m addicted to caffeine. But iced tea is a way better choice than diet coke (which I haven’t had since the 2nd of April), and my urologist approves; unlike diet soda, black tea has a variety of health benefits.

I know. Artificial sweetens are bad. But I can’t give up everything.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Congrats on the cure of the diet Coke. I have/had friends who I swear were literally addicted, who were also told by their doctors not to drink that stuff. One of them actually kept a bottle open by the bed at night. :eek:

I traveled with his wife recently, and although I thought they had pretty much given up on it, I see she is back on it again. Lunch wasn't done until she had three full glasses of diet Coke. I drank it occasionally (prefer diet Pepsi) at the beginning of the trip, but couldn't hack it after a while and switched to iced tea. I don't drink diet Pepsi on a daily basis, but have a definite preference for Pepsi over Coke. I like iced tea, but I can't drink the Southern sweet tea.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:18 am Congrats on the cure of the diet Coke. I have/had friends who I swear were literally addicted, who were also told by their doctors not to drink that stuff. One of them actually kept a bottle open by the bed at night. :eek:

I traveled with his wife recently, and although I thought they had pretty much given up on it, I see she is back on it again. Lunch wasn't done until she had three full glasses of diet Coke. I drank it occasionally (prefer diet Pepsi) at the beginning of the trip, but couldn't hack it after a while and switched to iced tea. I don't drink diet Pepsi on a daily basis, but have a definite preference for Pepsi over Coke. I like iced tea, but I can't drink the Southern sweet tea.
Quitting diet coke was, by far, the hardest diet-related thing I’ve ever done. I used to drink a lot of beer and secretly worried that I might be an alcoholic, like my parents. Giving up beer was easier than quitting diet coke.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

re too much sugar
► Show Spoiler
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As a person who doesn't drink anything hot - so no coffee or tea - I've gotten in the habit of just taking a 200-mg caffeine table first thing in the morning. Jet-Alert tablets from Walmart are real cheap. But I also take a pill for my low thyroid in the morning and caffeine can interfere with that, so I make sure I take those two pills at least an hour apart.

I don't need the sugar of regular soda and I'm not a big fan of diet sodas, so those are not sources of caffeine for me either.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Food but not recipes

Post by Luke »

These YouTube kids are insane.

50K calories in 24 hours.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “General Stuff”