Donald J. Trump 2024

Volkonski
Verified:

Donald J. Trump 2024 (low energy)

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:10 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:01 pm Well it's not $8 at my station, but I'm sure it is somewhere else*.

*New York or California
Haven't been California lately, but I was in NYC last week and it was under $4 a gallon there, I even paid under $3 on LI!
Well of course. It is winter. People don't drive to the North Fork in winter so there is no demand for gas on LI. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My closest Costco, where I typically fill up, is selling gas for $2.48 today. I really should fill up this week before the bitter cold comes in this weekend.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I gassed up at Murphy last week at $3.21 and it's $3.16 today. Shell and Chevron are almost $1 higher. :confuzzled:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I paid $5.19 at a Chevron today (credit/debit price; 10¢ less for cash, 20¢ less for cash & purchase of a car wash.) It was $4.89 at the Arco I usually go to, but they were closed to replace their pumps today. There are two cheap ass gas stations, but their gas sucks, they only have 4 pumps each, & they're frequent targets of card skimmers, so their $4.29 prices aren't worth it.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Gasbuddy around me says $2.90s to $3.10s per gallon.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Petrol Prices here in Ireland are at 1.69 euros a Liter. Which works out to 7 dollars a US Gallon. DAMN YOU BIDEN!!
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Cannot vouch for the veracity of this, but I've been reading the substance of it from a few different sources, so... :shrug:
Trump cannot legally qualify for Nevada’s 2024 primary ballot
The Supreme Court may consider if states can disqualify Trump from their primaries. No matter how justices rule, it will not alter the Silver State’s election.

When Nevada’s Republican voters receive their sample ballots for the state’s presidential preference primary this month, the name of the party’s current frontrunner will be missing.

His absence has nothing to do with any legal challenges to former president Donald Trump’s eligibility to participate in the state’s primary. Nevada’s Supreme Court, unlike Colorado’s, was never given the opportunity to rule on whether Trump’s behavior during and immediately following the 2020 election violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which forbids those who commit insurrection from being eligible for elected office. Similarly, Secretary of State Cisco Aguilar, a Democrat, didn’t have the opportunity his colleague in Maine had to weigh in on the question himself.

No, Trump is ineligible for Nevada’s primary ballot because Trump’s campaign didn’t fill out an application to place him on Nevada’s primary ballot.

As hilarious as it would have been if this was the product of a paperwork snafu committed by an incompetently run campaign, Trump’s absence from Nevada’s primary ballot was wholly intentional. They merely followed the directions provided to them by a truly incompetently run organization — the Nevada GOP, which decided the same primary election process that’s been used to select every other non-presidential Republican candidate, including our current governor, in the state for decades is still not good enough for presidential candidates in 2024. In case anyone didn’t get the memo, the state party warned presidential campaigns that if it saw their candidates’ names on the primary ballot, those candidates would be ineligible to participate in and receive delegates from the caucus.
:snippity:
https://thenevadaindependent.com/articl ... ary-ballot

Seems like the Nevada GOP could just change the rules and let him in. But I dunno.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:21 pmSeems like the Nevada GOP could just change the rules and let him in.
An explainer (from October): ABC: Explaining Nevada's dueling 2024 primary system and why it matters:
The GOP candidates are split between two races, but only the caucus matters.

In February, Nevada Republican voters are expected to be able to choose from two entirely different ballots for the 2024 presidential nomination.

On one -- for the caucus held by the Nevada Republican Party on Feb. 8 -- will be former President Donald Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, businessman and commentator Vivek Ramaswamy, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and pastor and entrepreneur Ryan Binkley.

And on the other -- for the state-run primary on Feb. 6 -- will be former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott and Vice President Mike Pence, along with some long shot candidates.

While Nevada voters can cast ballots in both the caucus and primary, the latter slate of hopefuls are competing for a symbolic victory. The 26 Nevada delegates that will help determine who wins the Republican nomination will be awarded only through the caucus, not the primary.

The unprecedented parallel contests -- which some local experts worry could turn off voters, given all of the intricacies -- were the result of a conflict between the state GOP and a 2021 state law that mandated a primary must also be held.

How did these competing contests come about?

Nevada has long been a caucus state for both the Republican and Democratic parties, but the state law enacted two years ago mandated a primary if more than one candidate files -- as happened in the 2024 race.

The Democratic Party has since adopted the primary for 2024, with President Joe Biden and author and speaker Marianne Williamson both filing to compete. But the Nevada Republican Party decided to hold a caucus anyway, declaring that the caucus would be the only way for candidates to win delegates regardless of the outcome of the required primary. (State Republicans also unsuccessfully sought to stop the primary entirely, but the courts allowed them to restrict delegates only to the separate caucus.)

The Nevada Republican Party leadership's push to continue with the caucus has been a hotly contested topic over the past few months, with critics of the move claiming that the caucus -- which includes in-person gatherings where voters publicly disclose their preferred candidate in tidy groups, versus traditional voting -- was championed by allies of Trump, who already has a deep network of vocal supporters and organizational power across Nevada.

Earlier this summer, when it became apparent that Nevada was inching toward dueling Republican nominating contests, the state GOP tried to direct candidates to the caucus ballot, penalizing those who chose to participate in the primary by making them ineligible to receive delegates.

But to some Nevada Republicans' surprise, that didn't stop several major presidential candidates -- Haley, Scott and Pence -- from filing for the primary, effectively giving up on Nevada's delegates.
So the Nevada Republicans did "change the rules": they still wanted a caucus; they got a caucus.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

I get it now, thanks Bob. That is a bit confuddling though. What a mess.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Sample ballots are being mailed out in Nevada and some people are going nuts about the primary candidates, or lack thereof.

Counties remind Nevadans: Trump didn’t file for presidential primary, so he won’t be on ballot
https://www.nevadacurrent.com/2024/01/1 ... on-ballot/
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It's almost like someone was afraid that he might lose in a straight vote. Or that he would not get an overwhelming magority, which means more people voted against him that for him. Like what happened in most of the Republican primaries in 2016.
Hic sunt dracones
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:41 pm So the Nevada Republicans did "change the rules": they still wanted a caucus; they got a caucus.
IANAL, but it seems to me that the new law is NOT being complied with. The law requires that a primary be held. They are holding something that is CALLED a primary election, but, IMHO, is nothing of the sort. I don't know what it is, but it is NOT a primary election.

A real primary would select the delegates to the National convention for the purpose of choosing the party's candidate in the November general election. This sham primary does not do that.

Is the statute so poorly written that this non-primary can be considered to have complied with the law?
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:51 pmIs the statute so poorly written that this non-primary can be considered to have complied with the law?
I haven't looked at the statute, but my WAG is the answer is both yes and no.

Political parties are, fundamentally, private organizations. Drafting a law to compel an organization to use a particular selection method is fraught with landmines. Especially in a state that has a bit of a libertarian streak.

Democrats, generally, are moving away from caucuses, for a variety of reasons. So Nevada's instituting a primary system was a bit of a nod to the Democrats' preference.

But, ultimately, I'm not surprised at least one faction of one party wanted to keep the old ways. So I wouldn't be surprised if the law was intentionally drafted with this possibility in mind.
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:01 pm
noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:51 pmIs the statute so poorly written that this non-primary can be considered to have complied with the law?
I haven't looked at the statute, but my WAG is the answer is both yes and no.

Political parties are, fundamentally, private organizations. Drafting a law to compel an organization to use a particular selection method is fraught with landmines. Especially in a state that has a bit of a libertarian streak.

Democrats, generally, are moving away from caucuses, for a variety of reasons. So Nevada's instituting a primary system was a bit of a nod to the Democrats' preference.

But, ultimately, I'm not surprised at least one faction of one party wanted to keep the old ways. So I wouldn't be surprised if the law was intentionally drafted with this possibility in mind.
I agree. The R party should be allowed to select a candidate in any manner they choose. That is sort of why I'm opposed to open primaries. Primaries should be where registered R's select the R candidate and registered D's select the D candidate.

That being said, it seems that perhaps the state overstepped their authority. If they HAVE the authority to mandate how a party selects its candidates, the law should have made clear that primary is the ONLY way that a party may select a candidate.

If the state does NOT have that authority, they shouldn't have enacted the statute.

In any event, it seems to me that the R party may have shot themselves in the foot.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:05 pm
I agree. The R party should be allowed to select a candidate in any manner they choose. That is sort of why I'm opposed to open primaries. Primaries should be where registered R's select the R candidate and registered D's select the D candidate.
They would have to pass a bunch of new laws to do that because of all the states that don't register by party.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Donald J. Trump 2024 can no longer be described as (low energy). Could that modifier be removed?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by RTH10260 »

June bug wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:45 pm Donald J. Trump 2024 can no longer be described as (low energy). Could that modifier be removed?
Did you call?

;)

or should it be (no energy) :think:
June bug

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by June bug »

Thank you, RTH! :kiss:

I could only wish it were (no energy). :(
raison de arizona

Donald J. Trump 2024

https://x.com/costareports/status/17455 ... 21578?s=20
Robert Costa @costareports wrote: Trump told me today at 40 Wall Street that he plans to attend all of his trials, civil and criminal, state and federal. A remark that could have an impact on the campaign calendar and general election, if he packs his time with sometimes voluntary appearances in various courthouses. @CBSNews

COSTA: Have you made decision about whether you're going to show up for the federal trials? You’ve showed up here in New York for your civil fraud trial. You just said you're going to show up for the E Jean Carroll case. Are you planning to show up in court…

Trump: Yeah – [crosstalk]

COSTA: … when they begin, whenever they begin.

TRUMP: Sure, sure

COSTA: In that documents case and the January 6th case?

TRUMP: I would do that. … I want to go to all of my trials…
AndyinPA
Verified:

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by AndyinPA »

Is attending a criminal trial optional? I would have thought, not.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:34 pm Is attending a criminal trial optional? I would have thought, not.
It can be. A judge may order (or waive) a defendant's appearance, depending on the circumstances.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by AndyinPA »

Is that very rare? I can't ever remember seeing a case where the defendant had that choice, but then I watch more murder stuff.

Interesting.

TY
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:39 pm Is that very rare? I can't ever remember seeing a case where the defendant had that choice, but then I watch more murder stuff.
It is unusual, and usually done only for lesser crimes, like misdemeanors.

And only where identity isn't an issue.

It also isn't a good idea, as jurors tend to dislike defendants who can't be bothered. (Which is why not appearing for trial usually only happens when it is a non-jury trial.)

Relatedly, an ill-behaved defendant can be involuntarily removed from their own trial, but that's rare.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Donald J. Trump 2024

Alright, this was clever. "White House Senior Living" skit posted by tfg on Truth.
Kendra

Donald J. Trump 2024

Post by Kendra »

He's not one to talk about senior issues...

I haven't seen a link yet, but I *think* I heard mention on CNN of Trump team hiring SUVs or similar in Iowa to get peeps through the snow to the caucus on Monday. I could be wrong, it was pre-covfefe. I don't know about trusting campaign team to get them back home, wasn't there at least one time they hired some buses to bring them in to a rally, but the buses didn't show up to get them back to their cars?

Return to “US President”