💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by RTH10260 »

reporting from the Senate Judiciary committee

AndyinPA
Verified:

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by AndyinPA »

Somebody's going to have to tell me what that's all about. I couldn't take more than a minute and a half. Surprised I lasted that long. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Post by much ado »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:25 pm Somebody's going to have to tell me what that's all about. I couldn't take more than a minute and a half. Surprised I lasted that long. :eek:
I couldn't take much either. But this is the description...
"You just destroyed one of the most important committees in the United States Senate."
Nov 30, 2023 #cspan

"Congratulations on destroying the United States Senate Judiciary committee," says Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) in response to Chair Dick Durbin (D-IL) dismissing calls by committee Republicans to debate two judicial nominations who were previously debated in a prior meeting and calling for a roll call vote. As the roll call vote takes place, Sen. Blackburn along with other Republicans ask to speak. The heated exchange continues throughout the roll call votes. Full video here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?532115-1/ ... urt-ethics...
GOP squabbling among themselves, it seems? I guess I'm interested enough to see what the outcome was.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I got a different take from listening to it.

That non quorum debate happened
Then there was a roll call vote
Without the opportunity for Quorum debate.

If that is what happened
Then that isn’t proper imo - so imo the R’s are in the right for a change
much ado

Post by much ado »

The issue was whether additional discussion would be allowed on the nomination of Mustafa Kasubhai to be a judge in the District of Oregon. Mustafa Kasubhai is Muslim. The squabbling occurred during the roll vote. Further discussion was disallowed by Durbin, the chair. The nomination was confirmed.

Here is text reporting on the incident, which is easier to handle...

GOP senators cry foul as Durbin disallows more debate on two committee votes

More details here...

Senate GOP stages hearing walkout to protest Supreme Court-related subpoenas

Wikipedia article on Judge Kasubhai: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_T._Kasubhai
much ado

Post by much ado »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:46 pm I got a different take from listening to it.

That non quorum debate happened
Then there was a roll call vote
Without the opportunity for Quorum debate.

If that is what happened
Then that isn’t proper imo - so imo the R’s are in the right for a change
That appears to be correct. Two non-quorum debates, Durbin calls for the vote, multiple Republicans object, Durbin disallows further discussion, Muslim nominee is confirmed.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Anything Marsha Blackburn is for, I'm against, so it doesn't even matter what the issue was.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-s ... =105276627
The House is no longer set to vote Thursday on a Republican effort to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

The vote was pulled from the schedule Thursday afternoon, according to a notice from Majority Whip Tom Emmer.

It's not clear yet why leadership pulled the resolution.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

H/T @much ado for the followup!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:27 pm https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-s ... =105276627
The House is no longer set to vote Thursday on a Republican effort to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

The vote was pulled from the schedule Thursday afternoon, according to a notice from Majority Whip Tom Emmer.

It's not clear yet why leadership pulled the resolution.
Cuz they really, really, really don't want to lose another vote.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pm Cuz they really, really, really don't want to lose another vote.
Too also: there's more mileage in promoting an "upcoming" vote than in ... actually voting.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Now is The End for Joe Biden. Hunter did make payments to his Dad. Comer has hard evidence of three payments :!:

Yes, three installments of $1300 - repaying a loan for a car purchase ... :doh:

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Comer remarked that when he gives money to his kids, he doesn't expect it back. Of course, his kids aren't grown ass adults yet. I couldn't find ages for them, but his oldest daughter looks close to 18 maybe.

Also, he named his kids Reagan, Harlan, and Anniston, for the love of doG, which should be an impeachable offense.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Would the DOJ not already have access to unredacted versions of these videos?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... eelection/
Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.), who served as acting House speaker for three weeks in October while GOP lawmakers struggled to unite behind a permanent leader, will not seek reelection next year, according to a person familiar with McHenry’s plans who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a decision McHenry has not announced publicly.
Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

McHenry, 48, was first elected to the House in 2004, and represents North Carolina’s 10th congressional district. Early in his career, McHenry developed a reputation as a hyper-partisan “attack dog-in-training,” slamming Democrats but also moderate Republicans. After nearly two decades in Congress, however, McHenry has kept a lower profile, eschewing top leadership positions and chairing the House Financial Services Committee.

That changed after the ouster of then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) in early October. That move thrust McHenry into the spotlight as McCarthy’s designated speaker pro tempore, or acting speaker. McHenry presided over the chamber for three weeks — with limited powers — as the Republican conference failed multiple times to coalesce behind a permanent replacement.

In one of his first acts as temporary speaker, McHenry ordered former House speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (Md.), the former Democratic majority leader, to vacate their Capitol hideaway offices.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:42 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... eelection/
Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.), who served as acting House speaker for three weeks in October while GOP lawmakers struggled to unite behind a permanent leader, will not seek reelection next year, according to a person familiar with McHenry’s plans who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a decision McHenry has not announced publicly.
Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

McHenry, 48, was first elected to the House in 2004, and represents North Carolina’s 10th congressional district. Early in his career, McHenry developed a reputation as a hyper-partisan “attack dog-in-training,” slamming Democrats but also moderate Republicans. After nearly two decades in Congress, however, McHenry has kept a lower profile, eschewing top leadership positions and chairing the House Financial Services Committee.

That changed after the ouster of then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) in early October. That move thrust McHenry into the spotlight as McCarthy’s designated speaker pro tempore, or acting speaker. McHenry presided over the chamber for three weeks — with limited powers — as the Republican conference failed multiple times to coalesce behind a permanent replacement.

In one of his first acts as temporary speaker, McHenry ordered former House speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (Md.), the former Democratic majority leader, to vacate their Capitol hideaway offices.
With that we're now up to 37 members of congress leaving the house +1 george santos. 30 in the house and 7 in the senate.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Estiveo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:52 am Comer remarked that when he gives money to his kids, he doesn't expect it back. Of course, his kids aren't grown ass adults yet. I couldn't find ages for them, but his oldest daughter looks close to 18 maybe.

Also, he named his kids Reagan, Harlan, and Anniston, for the love of doG, which should be an impeachable offense.
Yes, impeach Biden because he didn't just GIVE his 40something child an $80k truck :lol:
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Comer: When my son needs help or my daughter I just give her money, nobody ever pays me back
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:06 pm
Estiveo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:52 am Comer remarked that when he gives money to his kids, he doesn't expect it back. Of course, his kids aren't grown ass adults yet. I couldn't find ages for them, but his oldest daughter looks close to 18 maybe.

Yes, impeach Biden because he didn't just GIVE his 40something child an $80k truck :lol:
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Comer: When my son needs help or my daughter I just give her money, nobody ever pays me back
Aren't all comer's kids under 18?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Comer loves the sound of his own voice.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm Aren't all comer's kids under 18?
I believe his eldest daughter is in college, but I don't know their ages.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The most recent pic I could find is about 3½ years old.
[attachment=0]Estiveoshot_20231205_103157.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Estiveoshot_20231205_103157.jpg
Estiveoshot_20231205_103157.jpg (188.32 KiB) Viewed 31693 times
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

As long as we are dumping on Comer...
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Comer Pyle’s amazingly gerrymandered southern Kentucky district.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:50 am Would the DOJ not already have access to unredacted versions of these videos?
Yes, I believe his purpose is to keep civilians from being able to dime them out as many have already by reporting several traitors to the FBI....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:49 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:50 am Would the DOJ not already have access to unredacted versions of these videos?
Yes, I believe his purpose is to keep civilians from being able to dime them out as many have already by reporting several traitors to the FBI....
I've heard they've led to a new spate of arrests. Well done!

Return to “Current Politics”