Kendra

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by raison de arizona »

Ron DeSantis @RonDeSantis wrote: BLM praising Donald Trump — and Trump celebrating it — makes perfect sense.

When BLM was burning down cities and assaulting police officers in cities across this country, Trump did nothing but sit in the White House tweeting “LAW & ORDER!”

We did it differently in Florida. I didn’t just tweet. I took action and called up the National Guard. We were not going to let our cities burn.

As President, I will not sit idly by and watch rioters torch American cities.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Gift link to Washington Post article which clarifies who Mark Fisher is. As you may have guessed, BLM is not supporting Trump.

Trump tries to embrace Black Lives Matter, a group he previously said ‘hates our country’
Trump wrote Wednesday on Truth Social, his social media platform, that he spoke with Mark Fisher — the co-founder of Black Lives Matter Rhode Island — and was “very honored to have his and BLM’s support.” He also repeated his frequent assertion that he has “done more for Black people than any other President.”

Fisher, a former Democrat who founded Maryland-based BLM Inc., recently expressed his support for Trump, telling Fox News, “We’re not stupid. … We understand when someone’s for us and when someone is not, and it’s obvious that the Democratic Party is not for us.”

:snippity:

Black Lives Matter RI PAC — an organization separate from Black Lives Matter Rhode Island — released a joint statement with the national Black Lives Matter organization, despite there being no affiliation between them, that sought to make clear that Fisher was not affiliated with their groups, calling the endorsement of Trump “a publicity stunt” and Fisher “an imposter.”

“Anyone can start an organization and add the words Black Lives Matter to it in an attempt to muddy the waters of our movement, as Mark Fisher did,” the groups said in the joint statement. “His organization is illegitimate and not in any way connected to the righteous BLM community fighting to protect and save Black lives. Continuing to call Mark Fisher a Black Lives Matter leader is disingenuous and inappropriate.”
Dave from down under

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Dave from down under »

Breaking (not) news

Donnie reaps the rewards of fraud.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by neonzx »

Super fun.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna126855

How religion plays into Ron DeSantis' public image — from 'armor of God' to a Bible ordered on Amazon
The Florida governor has never made his faith a major part of his public image, but he's having to talk about it more as he reaches out to conservative religious voters.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has made courting conservative evangelical voters a central part of his bid for president. He has invested considerable resources in Iowa, where those voters are a key part of the Republican base. And he has taken up the mantle of a culture warrior, signing a six-week abortion ban and leaning into social issues popular with the religious right.

But his own faith has not played prominently in his public image, in contrast to some other politicians.

On Jan. 8, 2019, DeSantis stood onstage at Florida’s historic Capitol next to his wife, Casey, who had in her hand a King James Bible.

He was set to officially become Florida’s 46th governor.

Many elected officials choose to be sworn into office on a religious text with some sort of personal meaning. But for DeSantis, this moment was preceded by scrambling by campaign and inauguration staffers caught off-guard when DeSantis, who is Catholic, told them his family did not own a Bible and he did not care whether he used one with historical significance, five former aides said.
Point of note. I do have a print bible within arms length reach while sitting at my computer. I did not have to emergency special order from Amazon.
What a phony Desantis is. :roll: :fuckyou:
sugar magnolia

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by sugar magnolia »

We're Catholic and the only 2 Bibles I ever remember in our house were the one my dad had from his Baptist preacher grandfather and the Precious Memories one my oldest daughter got as a first communion gift from her Episcopal godparents. We did have several missalettes though, so we weren't total heathens.
MN-Skeptic

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:56 pm
Point of note. I do have a print bible within arms length reach while sitting at my computer. I did not have to emergency special order from Amazon.
What a phony Desantis is. :roll: :fuckyou:
I've had my own Bible since I turned 11 years old. But I also have a Bible app on my iPhone with a number of different versions of the Bible on it. If it were me, I would just call up the app and use that to be sworn in on. In fact, I think I remember some government official doing just that.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Ben-Prime »

Raised a Jew, mostly secularized since my teens but a believer prior to that who as a child spoke fluent Hebrew, I found while digging through old boxes a few years ago my childhood one-volume 'Torah-Plus' used throughout my Hebrew school days until my mid-teens.

At the time, I was preparing to join the Foreign Service -- I was literally going through those closets to separate my life into 'pack for storage', 'pack for shipping overseas', 'give away', and 'discard' piles -- and I had a friend of about 15 years whom I'd met through online gaming who along with his spouse and daughter had all converted to Judaism within the previous few years. I knew during my training in D.C. I'd be within a 2 to 3 hour drive of them, and would see them, so I packed that childhood religious book and a couple of other books on the Talmud I'd gathered in my late teens as an undergraduate -- after giving up on religiosity but continuing to toy with religious scholarship as an academic curiosity -- and presented them to my friends as a going away present. "You're far more Jewish as Jews-by-choice than I will ever in my adult life be again as a Jew-by-birth, so please give these a good home; adopt the Torah as your family Torah and pass it down if you like or simply use it as a spare." They sniffled a bit and accepted the offer.

So, to bring this back on full topic: Yeah, if I were elected to office tomorrow, I guess I'd need to hit up a local synagogue for a new one, or call them and ask to borrow it back for a couple of days ("Come see me get sworn in and bring that family Torah along and we'll take a picture with it together"). What I would NOT do is mail-order one. Crikey, it's not like Florida doesn't have churches and religious bookstores all over the place. What, they couldn't run someone to get one?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:56 pmWhat, they couldn't run someone to get one?
I have no doubt various organizations would have thrown theirs at him, so they could claim the honor that he was sworn on their copy.
Image ImageImage
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Frater I*I »

Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:56 pm :snippity:

So, to bring this back on full topic: Yeah, if I were elected to office tomorrow, I guess I'd need to hit up a local synagogue for a new one, or call them and ask to borrow it back for a couple of days
Or, stick with me here...maybe take your oath on a book of laws as did our 6th President...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Or, stick with me here...maybe take your oath on a book of laws as did our 6th President...
Now to find a Republican who actually believes in the rule of law.

Although, come to think about that, they adhere as much to the law as they do to the teachings of Christ. So... no difference.
Ben-Prime

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Ben-Prime »

So, to bring this back on full topic: Yeah, if I were elected to office tomorrow, I guess I'd need to hit up a local synagogue for a new one, or call them and ask to borrow it back for a couple of days
I mean, I could, sure, and would have no problem with doing so. But while I am not a religiously practicing Jew, I'm still proud enough ethnoculturally that I would want to honor my ancestors at the same time -- especially given that as of my grandmother's death 4 1/2 years ago when I began my first tour in the Foreign Service, I am the eldest of my direct line, and feel an obligation.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by keith »

Or, stick with me here... maybe look in your hotel room's bedside drawer, as did Rocky Racoon ...
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:32 pm

Or, stick with me here... maybe look in your hotel room's bedside drawer, as did Rocky Racoon ...
Edit: um... sorry I meant that for the DeSanctimonious team, not for you, Ben
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by AndyinPA »

Borrow one from a hotel was my first thought. :biggrin:

I still have the one I got for my confirmation when I was 12. After my husband died, I found two really ancient family ones that he had. Not sure how he got them.

He bought from Amazon because he thought no one would know if he got it there.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Good greif, *I* could find a Bible in my home with a bit of effort.

Of course if I were ever to get sworn in for anything using a religious item, I'd need either an Oath Ring or a Hammer (or, preferably, a Hammer with an Oath Ring, which I'd have to have made as the hammer I have doesn't have an Oath Ring on it.) That would be the most traditional thing for a Heathen to use.

Some have suggested Heathens could use the Havamal, a book known as the Sayings of Odin, but it's not considered to be the inerrant words of Odin (largely because it was preserved in writing by priests) so it doesn't have quite the same level of meaning a BIble would for a Christian, the Torah for a Jew or the Koran for a Muslim.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd use The Princess Bride because I'm...well ..me
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:22 am I'd use The Princess Bride because I'm...well ..me
"Sweawing ... sweawing is what bwings us heaw today...." is how the officiant would begin the oathtaking cewem---er, ceremony.
[/offtopic

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Slim Cognito »

:rotflmao:

Also, perfect!

ImageImageImage x4
NewMexGirl

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by NewMexGirl »

Sidebar: Are bibles still placed in hotel and motel rooms? We travel quite a bit and it just occurred to me that I haven’t seen a bible in a drawer or cupboard in quite some time.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Slim Cognito »

Me either.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by AndyinPA »

We travel quite a bit, too, and, yes, they are still there. If you're in Utah, the Mormon Bible.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Yep, comes in handy when they forget to restock on facial tissues. :twisted:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by Frater I*I »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:35 pm Yep, comes in handy when they forget to restock on facial tissues. :twisted:
Or toilet paper.....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Ron Desantis 2024

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:56 pm Point of note. I do have a print bible within arms length reach while sitting at my computer. I did not have to emergency special order from Amazon.
That's better than me. The closest one to me is 5 feet away, so I have to get up. Granted, if I am looking for a quick version, I run to Bible Gateway, Oremus, or maybe the Blue Letter Bible (which can be helpful in looking up the Greek, Hebrew, or Latin Vulgate, etc. though I don't do that often since I am not a biblical scholar). The large ones I have are New Revised Standard Edition since that is what is normally used but Episocpal and some other mainline denominations. That would be heresy in DeSantis's base (as the New American Bible would probably be since it is Catholic and now the God-written KJV).
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:17 pm We did have several missalettes though, so we weren't total heathens.
I have no missalettes sitting around but I have various Catholic hymnals, along with Epsicopal, Lutheran, Baptist, Methodiist, UCC, Christian Science, etc. ones sitting around. And being and Episcopalian (and being employed by an Episcopal parish), I also have the Book of Common Prayer 1979, various versions of the Book of Occasional services, Lesser Fasts and Feasts (need to get the newer one), Enriching our Worship, 1, 2 3 and others, and lots of different psalters. Also have the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship around here somewhere.

I also have books about all those books.
101010 :towel:

Return to “US President”