State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
tek

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by tek »

is PAB going to be sitting there glaring at his children while they testify?

That would be worth pay-per-view.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

yep, and he's livid over their being called to testify
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN says Junior was just called to witness stand. Details to come after commercial break. Almost done working on work that must be done on the 1st and can go look at all the links you guys provided.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Yep, Jr has been called to the stand.

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Slow going so far; just education background, etc. I have a feeling it's all going to be "we relied on our CPAs to fill out those forms."
Hopefully AG won't let him get away with that - Trump was telling them what things were worth and there's evidence to prove it.

I think Eric is ridiculous and probably stupid, but I thing Jr is clever. But I think he's evil and there's something about him that just pisses me off that he even exists. I mean...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just saying. <a href="https://t.co/43Jwm8MOBS">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; 🇺🇸A Wake in the Desert🇮🇱 (@Desert_yoSemite) <a href=" 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Ugh - sorry. How do I remove all the gobbledegook around the tweet? I used the "embed tweet" option from twitter, copy/paste. Help?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Just copy/paste the URL.
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/ ... =103642561

Donald Trump Jr. takes the stand

Donald Trump Jr. has taken the stand, where he will be the first of the former president's children to testify.

Before taking the stand, Trump Jr. sat while news photographers snapped pictures.

'I leave it to my CPAs,' Trump Jr. says of accounting standards

"Sounds very exciting, but no," Donald Trump Jr. answered to a state attorney's question about whether he knows about accounting certifications, professional organizations, or accounting standards other than GAAP, which stands for "Generally Accepted Accounting Principles."

"I know nothing about GAAP," Trump Jr. said, adding, "I leave it to my CPAs."

"I'm a real estate broker," Trump Jr. said as he introduced himself on the witness stand. He testified that he began working in the family real estate business "right after 9/11," working on Trump Park Avenue and the former Sun Times building in Chicago.

State attorney Colleen Faherty tried to pressed him on his lack of accounting knowledge, prompting several objections from the defense.

Judge Engoron sustained the objections and admonished Faherty against asking negative questions.
"I should've worn makeup," he quipped.

Trump Jr. to be questioned by assistant AG

Assistant New York Attorney General Colleen Faherty will start off the direct examination of Donald Trump Jr.

Faherty is familiar with questioning high-stakes witnesses, having led the direct examination of former Trump attorney Michael Cohen last week.

Her quick objections during Cohen's cross-examination led Trump attorney Alina Habba to accuse Faherty of trying to "throw off" her game.

A seven-year veteran of the New York attorney general's office and a former criminal defense attorney, Faherty has been a vocal presence in the courtroom since the start of the trial.

Her willingness to spar with Trump lawyer Chris Kise previously led to some heated exchanges in court, such as a sidebar when Faherty demanded Kise "be more respectful."

"No," Kise responded.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:20 pm Just copy/paste the URL.
Correct, you do not have to use the media embed tool but make sure it is a "twitter.com" link and not an "x.com" link. I notice if you use the Twitter share button on the bottom right of a Tweet then Twitter/x gives you the x.com link. You can also just edit the x to twitter in the url.
cjroberts
Verified:

Post by cjroberts »

Did they have to put a booster seat in the witness chair for Jr. or is he in a highchair? I can't believe the Deep state is taking aim at mere children.
Go Land Crabs!
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Called it.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ivanka Trump appeals ruling ordering her to testify at civil fraud trial

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
An attorney for Ivanka Trump, Bennet Moskowitz, filed the notice of appeal on Wednesday in a New York appellate court after Judge Arthur Engoron ordered her to testify last week.

Ivanka Trump’s attorney had been seeking to quash the subpoena for her testimony because she’s no longer a defendant in the case. But Engoron last week ruled she must testify, though he gave her time to file an appeal.

Among the issues Moskowitz asked the appellate court to consider was whether the New York civil court had jurisdiction over Ivanka Trump since she has not lived or worked in New York since 2017.

Ivanka Trump’s testimony is tentatively slated for next Wednesday, November 8. It’s not clear whether the appeal will affect that timing.

Ivanka Trump had initially been listed as a co-defendant – along with Donald Trump, Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and several Trump Organization executives – in the $250 million lawsuit filed last September by New York Attorney General Letitia James, alleging they were involved in an expansive fraud scheme lasting over a decade that the former president and his eldest children used to enrich themselves.

In June, however, a New York appeals court dismissed Ivanka Trump as a co-defendant, finding the claims against her were too old, because she was not part of an August 2021 agreement between James’ office and the Trump Organization to toll the statute of limitations.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump Jr. pressed about departure of ex-CFO

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/ ... =103642561
Donald Trump Jr. struggled to answer questions when pressed about why former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg departed the family's firm.

"Because some legal issues he got himself into," Trump Jr. said, declining to offer specifics about Weisselberg's guilty plea on tax evasion charges last year.

Previously giving lengthy answers to questions about his background and even smiling with the judge, Trump Jr. appeared tense on the witness stand as he answered questions about Weisselberg.

"The specific event was he was indicted," Trump Jr. said.

He added that when began working for the Trump Organization as an executive vice president in the 2010s, Weisselberg outranked him. Trump Jr. would seek Weisselberg's approval for certain business decisions such as refinancing loans.

"Who is above you in your role as an executive vice president in the Trump Organization?" state attorney Colleen Faherty asked.

"Obviously I would have reported to my father in that period of time … people like Allen Weisselberg would have still been senior to me," Trump Jr. said of that time period.

Trump Jr. said he gained more responsibility in 2016 when his father became president and he was named a trustee of his father's revocable trust. He said that he, Weisselberg and his brother Eric Trump became a kind of triumvirate running the Trump Organization.

"We stopped reporting to my father on decisions involving the business," Trump Jr. said.

That relationship broke down once Weisselberg got himself into "legal issues," Trump Jr. said. He testified that he could not recall the circumstances of Weisselberg's exit, including the multimillion-dollar severance deal that Weisselberg received, which Weisselberg faced questions about during his own testimony earlier this month.

"I have no knowledge of the specifics of how it happened. He is no longer working at the Trump Organization," Trump Jr. said of the former CFO.
cjroberts
Verified:

Post by cjroberts »

He thinks GAAP is somewhere you don't try to shop in a small town.
Go Land Crabs!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

To me, "How dare you go after my children" is the attempt to counter "Don't you dare go after my clerk."
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:22 am Thanks for the links guys. Now to get my receivables closed so I can go home and read them all :popcorn:

:snippity:
"This Rigged Trial, brought by the Racist New York State A.G. Letitia James before Trump and developer Hating Judge, Arthur Engoron, which should have never been brought in that the so-called STAR WITNESS, SleazeBag Lawyer (for many people) Michael Cohen, admitted last week on the stand that he LIED, and also that your favorite President, Donald J. Trump, or anyone from the Trump Organization, NEVER TOLD HIM TO INFLATE VALUES ON FINANCIAL STATEMENTS, the opposite of what he told the A.G. in order to get this HOAX started," Trump wrote.

"Therefore, on that fact alone, this Fake Case should be dismissed. Additionally, however, the Financial Statements Values are Conservative (LOW!), Mar-a-Lago is worth MUCH MORE than $18,000,000, there is a 100% Disclaimer Clause on the 1st page of the Statements, the Banks and Insurance Companies were paid in full, no defaults, they all made money, and there is no Victim (except me!).

"Leave my children alone, Engoron. You are a disgrace to the legal profession," he added.

Trump's legal team has been contacted for further comment via email.
:snippity:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... f6b89&ei=9

As a very lasped accountant I would like to point out that from a strictly techinal point of view, a statement that is too low is just as fraudulant as one that is too high. They goal being to have one that is accurate.

It saves you the trouble of trying to keep one set for the tax man and one set for the banker. Or giving one of the above the set meant for the other, whichis...awkward.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

"Move it along," judge tells lawyer questioning Trump Jr.

Donald Trump Jr. and state attorney Colleen Faherty got into a rhythm of quick questions and answers during the first hour of direct examination.

"I moved to Florida, but kept the New York pace," Trump Jr. joked at one point when asked by the judge to speak slower.

So far the state attorney has focused most of her questions on Trump Jr.'s broader roles and responsibilities at his family's firm, rather than any specific allegations in the attorney general's complaint.

"I don't see where we are going at all with this," Trump attorney Chris Kise said at one point regarding the questioning.

"Move it along as fast as you can," Judge Engoron told Faherty.

Trump Jr. to resume testimony tomorrow

Donald Trump Jr. has stepped down from the witness stand.

He is due to return to the courtroom tomorrow morning to resume his direct examination.

Court is now adjourned for the day.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I have this theory of how to crosss examine any of the Trumps, most likely to bait Jr and Daddy.

Flatter them. "You went to UPenn, didn't you?" (get them to say Wharton, they'll almost explode until they can make sure you hear Wharton), "That's a good school, eh? "In fact, a lot of people say it's one of the tfiest business schools in the world and go on such...

Then puff up Trump Org... "Is the Trump Organization a big company or as some say just a small family shop?" and invite them to make it into IBM, Apple and Toyota combined...

Then after you invited them to brag, start asking the questions they say "I'm not an accountant" to. Get about 15 of those and start in, with "So you're not qualified to answer this" and "You say you're not qualified to have an opinion about this" and ind it with "So one might surmise that you're completely unqualified to run a company anywhere near as Trump Org..."

His fekkin head wouold explode..... it would be a Col Jessup moment "I BUILT THIS COMPANY! Not a termite runs acorss the lobby that I don't know about, every nail in every building, every entree on every plate, every hole in every golf course it there BECAUSE I MADE IT BE THERE!"

"Ah, so you're guilty, eh?"

:smoking:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Eternal gratitude to everybody for the great reporting and analysis.

:like: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

cjroberts wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:36 pm Did they have to put a booster seat in the witness chair for Jr. or is he in a highchair? I can't believe the Deep state is taking aim at mere children.
I know that everyone here realizes this, and that TFG may be the only one in the world who doesn't, but the prosecutor is not going after Trump's children. He is going after the top executives of the Trump Organization.

Also, too, IIRC, the Sarbanes-Oxley bill was passed in the aftermath of the Enron debacle. The law states that top executives, particularly those who sign a company's financial statements, have a positive duty to understand them and to know, not simply believe someone telling them, that the statements are accurate. IOW, Jr.'s defense is specifically precluded by Sarbanes-Oxley.

Or does the act only apply to publicly traded companies?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Reports I'm hearing of Junior's testimony, I get the impression Weisselberg is going under the bus.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

noblepa wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:24 pm Also, too, IIRC, the Sarbanes-Oxley bill was passed in the aftermath of the Enron debacle. The law states that top executives, particularly those who sign a company's financial statements, have a positive duty to understand them and to know, not simply believe someone telling them, that the statements are accurate. IOW, Jr.'s defense is specifically precluded by Sarbanes-Oxley.

Thank you for asking this. I was curious, too, but wanted to read the entire thread-gain since I went to bed last night (I'm 10-11 hours ahead of East Coast time most of the year, so it's about 6am for me now) to see if someone else did first.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:10 pm
noblepa wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:24 pm Also, too, IIRC, the Sarbanes-Oxley bill was passed in the aftermath of the Enron debacle. The law states that top executives, particularly those who sign a company's financial statements, have a positive duty to understand them and to know, not simply believe someone telling them, that the statements are accurate. IOW, Jr.'s defense is specifically precluded by Sarbanes-Oxley.

Thank you for asking this. I was curious, too, but wanted to read the entire thread-gain since I went to bed last night (I'm 10-11 hours ahead of East Coast time most of the year, so it's about 6am for me now) to see if someone else did first.
The relevant provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley bill apply only to publicly traded companies.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”