💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Jim

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Jim »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:44 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am If they keep voting maybe Hakeem will win!
I was thinking that. Wouldn't it be hilarious if 5 Republicans crossed over to vote for Jeffries? Problem solved!
If 10 pubs decide they can no longer support a party that doesn't support them, gives out their phone numbers, threatens them and their families with death, decide not to vote, problem solved!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Also from the nbcnews feed -- just in.
7m ago / 3:30 PM EDT
There will be a third vote for speaker today, Jordan says

Kyla Guilfoil and Kyle Stewart

Jordan said this afternoon that he plans to call for a third vote on the floor today to see if he can finally reach the 217 votes needed to be elected speaker.

As he passed reporters asking whether members would go to the floor for a third vote today, Jordan said, "That's the plan."
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

4m ago / 3:44 PM EDT

The plan to give McHenry more power seems to have died.
:popcorn:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

7m ago / 4:04 PM EDT
Rep. Dave Joyce: 'These people couldn’t agree on the time of day'

Kyle Stewart

Rep. Dave Joyce, R-Ohio, said he was not surprised at the pushback from fellow Republicans on his proposal to elect Patrick McHenry as speaker pro tempore.

“You must not cover our conference,” he said to reporters when asked for his reaction. “These people couldn’t agree on the time of day.”

Joyce said he can’t introduce his resolution while the House is in recess (as it currently is) but that he can do it the next time the floor reopens. Joyce cited the looming government shutdown and the need to “keep this country moving” as why he wants to elect a speaker pro tempore.

“That’s why it’s a deep concern of mine, I know it’s a concern of many of the people in the room,” he said. “And there’s other folks who just want to see it dead. So they come out and tell you all it’s dead. It’s a live motion that can be filed, or a petition that can be filed at any time.”
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Getting a taste of their own medicine, I see.
https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1715 ... 78243?s=20
Melanie Zanona @MZanona wrote: Some Jordan holdouts are refusing to meet with Jordan or take his calls, sources tell me — a sign of the uphill climb Jordan faces in winning 217.

Meanwhile, one of the Rs who voted against Jordan had to have a sheriff stationed at their daughter’s school because of threats.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Seems to me the odds of having some Rs voting for Jeffries (never really likely) have dropped to about zero. Or however they give odds.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Jim

Post by Jim »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:36 pm Seems to me the odds of having some Rs voting for Jeffries (never really likely) have dropped to about zero. Or however they give odds.
"House rules require that the speaker receive a majority of votes cast"

I could see a few pubs getting sick of the MAGAts keeping them from doing the work they were elected to do and not vote at all.
raison de arizona

Listen, no one should be getting death threats over this sort of thing, but I do wonder how he felt when it was Ds getting the threats. Did he stand up and say something then? Or only when it happens to him? Better late than never, I suppose.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

KKKlowns.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Zanona: We're told that they encouraged Jordan to drop out and that they delivered a blunt message to him, which is that you're not going to be speaker and this is the right thing for you to do which is to drop out of the race.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Some people just want to see the word lose.
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:00 pm KKKlowns.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Zanona: We're told that they encouraged Jordan to drop out and that they delivered a blunt message to him, which is that you're not going to be speaker and this is the right thing for you to do which is to drop out of the race.
Maybe they can get a bunch of their flying monkeys to threaten his family if he doesn't drop out.

Think that'll do the trick?
raison de arizona

What's good for the goose... Unfortunately I think most of the flying monkeys are on his side.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

So no vote on Jordan tonight. haha
26m ago / 7:10 PM EDT
Next House speaker vote slated for tomorrow morning

Rebecca Kaplan

Jordan spokesman Russell Dye said tonight that the next speaker vote will be at 10 a.m. on Friday.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

My couple of not thought out well guesses on Jordan.
1. The overview: Everything Trump touches dies. Good for almost all situations anymore
2. My thought is that after Jordan pulled out (this morning to keep from being further humiliated) he got a call from TFG telling him that he better not withdraw using his most persuasive logic. That's why he is back in.
3. Why, hmmmm, I wonder how much dirt they have on him. Cassie Hutchison mentioned those type of implied "concerns" when she was trying to get thru her mess. And she was small potatoes compared to Jordan.
4. The chaos party wants the shutdown so they don't care if it happens. Time is their friend. Also, go back to #1.
So, those are my evening thoughts on this. I wait with bated breathe for the new episode of GOP Caucus fight club tomorrow.
raison de arizona

Ruby Freeman would like a word.
Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Rep. Ken Buck: “I've had four death threats. I've been evicted from my office in Colorado...because the landlord is mad with my voting record on the Speaker issue...Family members have been approached and threatened...There's going to be some tension.”
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:31 pm Ruby Freeman would like a word.
:snippity:
Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Rep. Ken Buck: “I've had four death threats. I've been evicted from my office in Colorado...because the landlord is mad with my voting record on the Speaker issue...Family members have been approached and threatened...There's going to be some tension.”
Awwwww...sucks to be you...you rode the hydra, now deal with it when it wants to eat you.... :fingerwag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

It's all the Democrats fault.
Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy once again blames the Democrats for the GOP's inability to elect a Speaker.
raison de arizona

Language.
Andrew—Author of America Rises On Substack—Wortman @AmoneyResists wrote: Party of family values, everyone:
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

I’m kinda disappointed that nobody secretly recorded some of these closed-door meetings. Wouldn’t that be the best entertainment evah?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The klown show begins again with another vote.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Vote live feed

3 for "others," so far
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

stophiting.jpg
stophiting.jpg (106.85 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

21 for "others." About 100 left. Pelosi got a small round of applause when she voted.
Hic sunt dracones
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

As I write this, the vote is 175 for Jordan, 196 for Jeffries and 24 for Others.

IIRC, the split in the House is about 220 R's and 215 D's.

Jordan needs 217 to be elected as Speaker. Assuming that all 215 D's will vote for Jeffries, plus the 24 for "others", that leaves only 196 votes that could possibly go for Gym. It seems as if Jordan has already been mathematically eliminated.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Jordan 192. Jefferies 210. Others 25. They are calling for non responsive now

Edit - Final vote 194 / 210 / 25 / 0 (present) / 4? Missing
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”