A General thread for 2024 Presidential Elections

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Interesting. I seem to recall that one of the challenges for independent presidential candidates is getting on the individual state ballots.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:50 pm Interesting. I seem to recall that one of the challenges for independent presidential candidates is getting on the individual state ballots.
As if getting on ballots is the grift's goal. :batting:

Assuming Kennedy does get on a ballot, my WAG would be a slight drag on net Democratic votes.

But as 2016 and 2020 showed, narrow margins in just the right states can make all the difference.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

He could be a drag on Republican votes.

Not that that was the plan.
bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:19 pm He could be a drag on Republican votes.
I think that will happen, to some extent in some states.

If Kennedy, for example, tossed Texas to Biden, that would be a hoot.

And, gentle reminder, Cornel West is also playing spoiler. He's seeking the nomination for the Green Party.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

WTF are these people thinking? Ok, if the GOP was looking seriously at someone sane/ish, say Scott or Haley, fine. But trump is prolly getting the nom and so many experienced election workers have quit out of fear and are being replaced by trumpers… Kennedy and West know 3rd party hasn’t a prayer, protest vote, schmotest vote. Wake the fuck up! This is not a drill.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
tek

Post by tek »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:12 pm WTF are these people thinking?
They don't care about anyone they don't see in the mirror in the morning.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:39 pm There are a few people on YT I watch, but he ain't one of 'em.
I used to watch him all the time (15 years ago). Lots of good, lefty practical politics and hard reality. Then he disconnected completely from day to day reality, and I gave him up. Also, the nasty.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:14 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:39 pm There are a few people on YT I watch, but he ain't one of 'em.
I used to watch him all the time (15 years ago). Lots of good, lefty practical politics and hard reality. Then he disconnected completely from day to day reality, and I gave him up. Also, the nasty.
We usually watch eyeliner lady. I don't say that to be snarky, I don't know her name but she always has perfect eyeliner, and the perfect amount of attitude.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/01/dean-p ... ship-biden
Rep. Dean Phillips (D-Minn.) is stepping down from his role in House Democratic leadership after floating a primary challenge to President Biden.

What he’s saying: “My convictions relative to the 2024 presidential race are incongruent with the majority of my caucus, and I felt it appropriate to step aside from elected leadership,” Phillips, the co-chair of the Democratic Policy and Communications Committee, told Axios in a statement.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Is anybody else getting a sick feeling about how long it is taking for Biden's special counsel to come to any conclusions?

I know Biden's situation was more complicated, involved more documents and found in several places (not good), so I expected it to take longer than Pence's special counsel. I really do hope it gets wrapped up before the end of the year. I don't want to see a report about this come out next summer, which I fear could be the case.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’d like to think it’s taking longer because they don’t want the appearance of rushing through to clear Biden.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
bob

Post by bob »

Polls may suggest otherwise, but Kennedy believes he's more of a drag on Biden's presumed opponent than on Biden:
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

RVInit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:37 am Is anybody else getting a sick feeling about how long it is taking for Biden's special counsel to come to any conclusions?
It took John Durham 4 years to find nothing.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don’t know but I see him pulling in a few anti trump independents in protest. Anti trump Rs may go Libertarian. I don’t see him getting any Bernie supporters.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1710411259265315172
Semafor
@semafor

NEW: Members of Trump’s team are quietly preparing to go on offense against RFK Jr. as internal campaign polling suggests his expected third party bid could draw more votes from Trump than Biden in a general election, @ShelbyTalcott
reports. https://semafor.com/article/10/06/
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

:brickwallsmall:

But at least the three remaining birthers will have something to do until next summer. :towel:
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Uygur is relying on the same law review article that Ayyadurai touts.

But, unlike Ayyadurai, Uygur graduated from law school (Columbia).

Bonus:

"Actually, the U.S. Constitution is unconstitutional."
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:lol: whatta fat grift
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Schneider v Rusk, 377 US 163 (1964) is very clear that Uygur is lying through his ass:
We start from the premise that the rights of citizenship of the native born and of the naturalized person are of the same dignity, and are coextensive. The only difference drawn by the Constitution is that only the "natural born" citizen is eligible to be President. Art. II, § 1.
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/377/163/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

There are at times tradeoffs in sake of clarity. I can feel for the baby that was born just outside at the US border but resides since then in the US, as to the baby whose mother just managed to slip the border line and gets the anchor baby with potus elligibility. But then on the other hand one may have the immigrant who passes legally, waits some ten years to become naturalized and may be fast-tracked by a party to represent the US, not what voters expect.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Those are the easy cases. Wait till we get the child of a US military family that was stationed in ... oh, say Cuba :mrgreen: and they had the child in hospital in Havana, not on a US military base.

'Course, birthers won't take a position without seeing the color of the child's skin. :blackeye:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RVInit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:37 am Is anybody else getting a sick feeling about how long it is taking for Biden's special counsel to come to any conclusions?

I know Biden's situation was more complicated, involved more documents and found in several places (not good), so I expected it to take longer than Pence's special counsel. I really do hope it gets wrapped up before the end of the year. I don't want to see a report about this come out next summer, which I fear could be the case.
I will cross post this in the topic we have specifically set up for Biden classified documents. I originally made the post here, because I fear this is going to be brought into the 2024 election against Biden in exactly the same way that Clinton emails became overblown and abused by Comey, who was head of the agency investigating Clinton's email server.

I don't always express myself well, but I am listening to Asha Rangappa and Renato Mariotti on their It's Complicated podcast dated October 13, 2023. At some point they express pretty succinctly what I meant to express here, but kept erasing and ended up with a very poor post that didn't really express what my real concern is.

So, on the It's Complicated October 13, 2023 podcast if you go to time stamp 14:00 into the podcast is where they start getting into discussion about the Hur investigation. What my whole point was intended to be all about is that, IMO, this is going to be exactly like what happened to Hillary Clinton in 2016. Mariotti is the one who expressed very well what I so poorly tried to indicate. at 15:47 into the podcast he says the name Hillary Clinton and how Hur's investigation has the potential to be used in exactly the same way Clinton's was used. The essence of it is that there is every potential that there will be a report that, just like the Clinton email, made it clear that no criminal activity took place, and charges would not be appropriate. Followed by a huge presentation being made in a press conference that went on and on and on about how careless she was, nobody should ever do this, unbelievable that anyone would do this, etc etc. To the point where every goddam person completely forgets - nothing criminal. And the justice department is not supposed to decline to prosecute someone, but then make a big press conference to imply that while not "technically criminal" it sure as fuck came close. So close in fact that I'm going to talk about it for 45 minutes non stop, and if I get any more chance to bring it up again, I sure as fuck will make sure I do that.

I don't see Hur going that far, but I do see if the foot dragging goes on long enough a report that essentially recommends no criminal charges, but includes 50 pages of words like "careless" and "sloppy" will have essentially the same effect on the this election that "her emails" had on 2016 election. I recommend anyone interested to listen to at least that section of the podcast, it's a good one.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can't argue with that.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “US President”