It sucks growing old

AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, 2023 is going to be a year I will happily see the end of. After my husband died in April, I was diagnosed with Afib, which seems to be controlled well with medications. When I was in to see the PA for that diagnosis, I mentioned that I occasionally had a tremor in my right hand. She also noticed that it was also in my right leg, which I hadn't noticed. She suggested a neurological consult, which I had today. Turns out it's very, very early Parkinson disease. Now, I'm on more medications. He said I have probably had it for four or five years. The medication will help stave off worse symptoms. It will probably be at least another five to ten years before more serious symptoms occur. They will look to see what clinical trials are available.

2023 sucks big time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

It sucks growing old

Post by Uninformed »

:( :bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

:bighug:
NewMexGirl

It sucks growing old

Post by NewMexGirl »

Keep the faith. Great strides are being made to mitigate the worst symptoms of diseases that afflict us old people. That being said, I’m so sorry. :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:41 pm Well, 2023 is going to be a year I will happily see the end of. After my husband died in April, I was diagnosed with Afib, which seems to be controlled well with medications. When I was in to see the PA for that diagnosis, I mentioned that I occasionally had a tremor in my right hand. She also noticed that it was also in my right leg, which I hadn't noticed. She suggested a neurological consult, which I had today. Turns out it's very, very early Parkinson disease. Now, I'm on more medications. He said I have probably had it for four or five years. The medication will help stave off worse symptoms. It will probably be at least another five to ten years before more serious symptoms occur. They will look to see what clinical trials are available.

2023 sucks big time.
Oh Andy, I'm so sorry to hear this - though knowing it will be a while before you have to deal with the worst of it with give you some solace. Who knows what they can develop in that time.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Oh man. That's terrible news, Andy. I'll be glad to see the end of 2023 myself. It hasn't been a good year.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Amen to 23 being a rough one. Chin up Andy. We're with you.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Poor baby :cantlook: :bighug:
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

:grouphug: Let’s hope 2024 is a better year for us and for our country!
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

Anyone else wish they could revive a 62-year-old like this?

Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:41 pm Well, 2023 is going to be a year I will happily see the end of. After my husband died in April, I was diagnosed with Afib, which seems to be controlled well with medications. When I was in to see the PA for that diagnosis, I mentioned that I occasionally had a tremor in my right hand. She also noticed that it was also in my right leg, which I hadn't noticed. She suggested a neurological consult, which I had today. Turns out it's very, very early Parkinson disease. Now, I'm on more medications. He said I have probably had it for four or five years. The medication will help stave off worse symptoms. It will probably be at least another five to ten years before more serious symptoms occur. They will look to see what clinical trials are available.

2023 sucks big time.
Oh Andy, I'm so sorry to hear this - though knowing it will be a while before you have to deal with the worst of it with give you some solace. Who knows what they can develop in that time.

I'm so sorry. Old is a problem.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Old is a problem, alright. I am a witness.

But ...

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

There's more, but it means fight to stay alive, fight to make it comfortable, and above all, never stop learning and never stop planning and never stop doing.

My father, as y'all know, is 95 and a half years young, and he can't use his body too much anymore, but he gets up every morning and gets his butt in gear. Right now he is organizing the apartment he lived in for 16 years, shipping furniture to his progeny, and then getting it cleaned out and sold. It's a hell of a job, I'm glad I don't have to be in charge of it, but that man is 100% on top of it.

So my point is, fight the old and savor your wins and fuggedabout your losses, and whatever you do, keep moving forward. I offer several people here as examples of what I'm talking about. :oldman: :oldlady:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybe this is us old folks anthem?

Stood there boldly, sweatin' in the Sun
Felt like a million, felt like number one
The height of summer, I'd never felt that strong
Like a rock

I was 18, didn't have a care
Working for peanuts, not a dime to spare
But I was lean and solid everywhere
Like a rock

My hands were steady, my eyes were clear and bright
My walk had purpose, my steps were quick and light
And I held firmly to what I felt was right
Like a rock

Like a rock, I was strong as I could be
Like a rock, nothin' ever got to me
Like a rock, I was something to see
Like a rock

And I stood arrow straight
Unencumbered by the weight of all these hustlers and their schemes
I stood proud, I stood tall
High above it all
I still believed in my dreams

20 years now, where'd they go?
20 years, I don't know
I sit and I wonder sometimes
Where they've gone

And sometimes late at night
Oh, when I'm bathed in the firelight
The moon comes callin' a ghostly white
And I recall, I recall

Like a rock, standin' arrow straight
Like a rock, chargin' from the gate
Like a rock, carryin' the weight
Like a rock

Oh, like a rock, the sun upon my skin
Like a rock, hard against the wind
Like a rock, I see myself again
Like a rock
Oh, like a rock

sad-cafe

It sucks growing old

Post by sad-cafe »

so Monday night early Tuesday Morn I had to get up to pee @ 2 am well half asleep I tripped over the doggie stair and broke 3 ribs

It is now Sunday and still hurts like hell

this old woman is miserable
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry. I hope you heal quickly. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Busted ribs suck. Watch out for diaphragm spasms - when I separated my floating ribs in a fencing tournament, my diaphragm would spasm whenever I got in or out of bed. I literally couldn't breathe until I relaxed enough to stop the spasms.
Patagoniagirl

It sucks growing old

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Well, well. I don't find comfort in others journey through the old age foibles and agonies. Though it is somehow comforting that I am not alone.

I've been a lurker here for sometime because the news, politics.are.just too depressing. And I am - have caused my medical situation. I am at peace with my prognosis which is six months to a year. I am peaceful with it now. I have an appointment with hospice next week to discuss palliative care. I've pretty much taken care of my affairs (house is my only asset so while simple, it wasn't cheap but a real comfort.
p.s. Fuck Trump.
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

Sorry to hear about your prognosis. :( :( :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
sad-cafe

It sucks growing old

Post by sad-cafe »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:45 pm Well, well. I don't find comfort in others journey through the old age foibles and agonies. Though it is somehow comforting that I am not alone.

I've been a lurker here for sometime because the news, politics.are.just too depressing. And I am - have caused my medical situation. I am at peace with my prognosis which is six months to a year. I am peaceful with it now. I have an appointment with hospice next week to discuss palliative care. I've pretty much taken care of my affairs (house is my only asset so while simple, it wasn't cheap but a real comfort.
p.s. Fuck Trump.
oh man I'm so sorry
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry to hear that. :bighug:
RVInit

It sucks growing old

Post by RVInit »

I am way behind on this thread. Andy, I am so sorry. Like others have said, progress is being made and I am hoping for the best for you.

Sad Cafe - hope those ribs feel better soon! Ouch!

Foggy - your stories about your dad help me as I am caring for my mother. I never have said thank you for that. Thank you.

PatagoniaGirl - :cry: :crying: :cry: I don't know what else to say. :brokenheart:

Sigh. I was actually going to post about the last few days with my mother, but after catching up and seeing what others are going through I probably will wait on that. Although I am totally exhausted, just got home from the emergency room with mom after several hard weeks and 5 days of hell, my situation seems pretty lame compared to others so I will skip the details, at least for now.

Take care and :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to everyone.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”