Effect of DiFi's passing on the Senate (and who will replace her)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

June bug wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:18 pm Without Feinstein, the Senate Judiciary Committee has an equal number of Dems and Republicans. During or after her shingles absence, I read speculation that the Republicans would not agree to putting any Democrat onto the Committee to replace her. So no Biden judicial nominees would be passed out of Committee.
And now here we are...
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:55 am
June bug wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:18 pm Without Feinstein, the Senate Judiciary Committee has an equal number of Dems and Republicans. During or after her shingles absence, I read speculation that the Republicans would not agree to putting any Democrat onto the Committee to replace her. So no Biden judicial nominees would be passed out of Committee.
How can they do that? The Dems run the Senate, so Schumer should be able to appoint people to committees - at least that seems to make the most sense (which means that's probably NOT how they do it... ugh!)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
I turned these posts into a new thread so we don't clog up the Rest in Peace thread with a lot of political speculation.

Carry on ...
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Doesn't Newsom just get to appoint someone in her place? It's a safe seat. But I don't know about the Senate committee.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/29/politics ... index.html

:snippity:
Her death hands California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom the power to appoint a lawmaker to serve out the rest of Feinstein’s term, keeping the Democratic majority in the chamber through early January 2025. Newsom has publicly pledged to appoint a Black woman if Feinstein were to vacate her office and told NBC’s “Meet the Press” earlier this month that he would make an “interim appointment” who wouldn’t be any of the candidates who are seeking the seat in next year’s election.
:snippity:

I did hear a mention on CNN that DiFi's daughter had just arrived in DC for a weekend visit with her, but sadly did not make it in time for farewells. That was from a former Congressional colleague.
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:42 am How can they do that? The Dems run the Senate, so Schumer should be able to appoint people to committees - at least that seems to make the most sense (which means that's probably NOT how they do it... ugh!)
Short answer: filibuster.
Image ImageImage
June bug

Post by June bug »

bob wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:48 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:42 am How can they do that? The Dems run the Senate, so Schumer should be able to appoint people to committees - at least that seems to make the most sense (which means that's probably NOT how they do it... ugh!)
Short answer: filibuster.
That’s what the speculation was in the case of her resigning from the Senate. They may very well do the same thing now, but it may be a bit harder to reach the magic number of 41 in this circumstance. Wouldn’t surprise me though…
bob

Post by bob »

Newsom has publicly pledged to appoint a Black woman if Feinstein were to vacate her office and told NBC’s “Meet the Press” earlier this month that he would make an “interim appointment” who wouldn’t be any of the candidates who are seeking the seat in next year’s election.
This is code for "Barbara Lee, if she promises not to run 2024."
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Senate R's are signaling they won't try and block Feinstein's committee seats (Judiciary, Intel, Approps & Rules) from being filled.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

It would be lovely if they acted like adults.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m not holding my breath.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:40 pm I’m not holding my breath.
Same here. I seem to remember a certain leader of the Republican Senate saying something about it being wrong to seat a Supreme Court Justice in an election year. So, yeah, the trust factor has been long gone for me.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RVInit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:46 pm
Same here. I seem to remember a certain leader of the Republican Senate saying something about it being wrong to seat a Supreme Court Justice in an election year. So, yeah, the trust factor has been long gone for me.
Yeah, wasn't Neil Gorsuch's confirmation pushed through about a month before the 2020 election?
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

noblepa wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:42 pm
Yeah, wasn't Neil Gorsuch's confirmation pushed through about a month before the 2020 election?
I think it was the Handmaiden.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
June bug

Post by June bug »

noblepa wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:42 pm
That was Amy Coney Barrett. Gorsuch was Scalia’s replacement after McConnell refused to consider Merrick Garland…because 2016 was an election year…
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Man, I HATE that McConnell almost seems reasonable by comparison these days.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

bob wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:05 pm
Newsom has publicly pledged to appoint a Black woman if Feinstein were to vacate her office and told NBC’s “Meet the Press” earlier this month that he would make an “interim appointment” who wouldn’t be any of the candidates who are seeking the seat in next year’s election.
This is code for "Barbara Lee, if she promises not to run 2024."
Gavin Newsom has pledged that he will not appoint anyone currently running for the seat. He doesn't want to appear to endorse anyone. Current frontrunner is Secretary of State Shirley Weber.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:56 pm Man, I HATE that McConnell almost seems reasonable by comparison these days.
Not so much reasonable - just better at not being quite as blatant about it IMHO.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

June bug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:31 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:56 pm Man, I HATE that McConnell almost seems reasonable by comparison these days.
Not so much reasonable - just better at not being quite as blatant about it IMHO.
He's no longer leader, and he's also not well. He's been in the foreground more for being unwell than doing anything, at least from what's posted here.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes. I heard him speaking for the first time in a while the other day. He did not look nor sound well.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’d like to see him appoint Phil Angelides as interim. He won’t run, so he won’t break any promises to Barbara Lee or whomever else.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybe I'll get some blowback here, but I just saw Barbara Lee's age. With all the talk in the last few years about the advanced age of people in the House and Senate, how is someone who is 77 years old being seriously considered a good candidate for a first term in the Senate? She's got to be a lot more productive as a long-standing member of the House.
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:48 pm Maybe I'll get some blowback here, but I just saw Barbara Lee's age. With all the talk in the last few years about the advanced age of people in the House and Senate, how is someone who is 77 years old being seriously considered a good candidate for a first term in the Senate? She's got to be a lot more productive as a long-standing member of the House.
I reckon Lee believes she has paid her dues.

I suspect the voters with thank her, and choose someone else.
Image ImageImage
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I like Barbara Lee just fine and her voting record. I live in her district. But I ain't gonna give you no blowback, she's starting to time out. We only get two senators so we need one who can stick around and get seniority and stuff.

I was never a fan of DiFi and the larger machine in which she was a part. Dating back to when she was mayor of SF, but that's off-topic.

The temp worker will be a loyal apparatchik. Padilla is an a loyal apparatchik. Some of my friends like Porter's politics, but she's too portly for the script. I'm rooting for Schiff.

Return to “Current Politics”