State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Gregg

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:36 pm Woot!
Engoron’s ruling, in a phase of the case known as summary judgment, resolves the key claim in James’ lawsuit, but six others remain.
And sanctions!

And dissolution!
I am sexually aroused.

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:33 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:17 pm Here’s the ruling:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... upreme.pdf
Apparently I’m no longer even someone upthread.
You will always be that to me....you keep driven them...I'll keep fixin what you break... :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Eric pulling a Dr. Evil. It's really worth one hundred bajillion million dollars

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:33 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:17 pm Here’s the ruling:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... upreme.pdf
Apparently I’m no longer even someone upthread.
Sorry, GG. I missed your post :bag:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Are the mold and warm seafood fridges part of the billion?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This is the bestest birthday present I've ever gotten!!!!!

Thanks, Judge!!!!

:mbounce: :groupdance: :groupdance: :ymca: :ymca:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:15 pm Love this one, it sums up Trumpism. Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 6.13.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 6.14.07 PM.png
So, the Judge is a Marxist.
Hic sunt dracones
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

So bottom line for moi, an IANAL if there ever was one:

Are y’all saying that trump org will no longer exist; can no longer do business in NYS; that the trumplets Eric, Jr. and Ivanka are out of jobs; would they be permitted to start a new, shinier business under a different name?

OT: JFC, I miss Sterngard. There’s no longer anybody on this blog who yells at me for being an ignorant git. :crying:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:50 pm So bottom line for moi, an IANAL if there ever was one:

Are y’all saying that trump org will no longer exist; can no longer do business in NYS; that the trumplets Eric, Jr. and Ivanka are out of jobs; would they be permitted to start a new, shinier business under a different name?

OT: JFC, I miss Sterngard. There’s no longer anybody on this blog who yells at me for being an ignorant git. :crying:
I think we need to get through the inevitable appeals first. He has 30 days to appeal, so of course will file at 29 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59.999999 seconds.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

jez wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:53 pm :snippity:

I think we need to get through the inevitable appeals first. He has 30 days to appeal, so of course will file at 29 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59.999999 seconds.
Yes, I understand that everything will be appealed, ad nauseum. My queries pertain solely to Engoron’s ruling.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

“the trumplets Eric, Jr. and Ivanka” :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Ivanka wasn’t included, her criming happened too long ago for the statute of limitations and they had to cut her loose.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:09 am Ivanka wasn’t included, her criming happened too long ago for the statute of limitations and they had to cut her loose.
Jarvanka are Teflon-coated. As their cosmetically-altered faces attest.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Trump has declared that Mar-a-Lago is worth at least $1 billion. I’d love to see the real estate tax bill he gets from the county for the upcoming year based on that statement!
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Weisellberg and McConney, too! This surfeit of schadenfreude is not healthy for an :oldlady:
bob

Post by bob »

What I'm currently curious about:

It seems the court order effectively won't let the crime family run their businesses, but the receiver(s) could restructure everything to allow the family to profit from them.

That is, even piercing the various corporate veils, they still own a vast amount of property legally. And even if those properties are sold, they'll still collect some paychecks; if they aren't sold, they'll still receive profits even if they aren't actively managing them.

In other words, I think the kids and grandkids aren't going to hungry.
Image ImageImage
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

bob wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:59 am What I'm currently curious about:

It seems the court order effectively won't let the crime family run their businesses, but the receiver(s) could restructure everything to allow the family to profit from them.

That is, even piercing the various corporate veils, they still own a vast amount of property legally. And even if those properties are sold, they'll still collect some paychecks; if they aren't sold, they'll still receive profits even if they aren't actively managing them.

In other words, I think the kids and grandkids aren't going to hungry.
I don’t want the grandkids to suffer. They have done nothing wrong. Eric and Jr., on the other hand…

The NYTimes is of your view. The linked article is far more detailed than the WaPo article, a much better explainer.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

According to a usually reliable commenter on emptywheel.net, foreign assets are included. Those golf courses in Scotland, for instance. :thumbsup:
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

I openly and knowingly attest and affirm I am not a lawyer..... :biggrin:

The judges ruling seems to form a Catch-22 'ish element for the Trump organisation

To run a business and the like in NY and NYC, you are required to hold and maintain business licences
To move the assets from NY or NYC you are required to hold and maintain said business licenses in the originator and end recipient legislation
If you have said licences revoked legally and legitimately you have no ability to run a business or access the assets
Since the assets are now incapable off being run or accessed by the revoked licence holder they must be managed and controlled by an appropriate entity
The management and control must be short term and finite with the intent of disposing of the assets to the legitimate owners, minus taxes, liens, penaltities, fees et-al
The disposal cannot be punitive but should reflect true market value of the tangible and intangible assets as this is neither a bankruptcy of "firesale"

Based on the already stated fraudulent over valuation of assets this with not reflect well on the organisation
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Unless tfg is going to run the restructured companies from prison, there’s a good chance Don Jr. will royally screw thongs up. Eric would, too. Lara seems cold-blooded (wine-soaked?) enough. Maybe she and Ivanka could. Now that all his trusted people are indicted or in jail because of him he has no one else to entrust it to but fam. :lol:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 6.05.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 6.05.37 PM.png (13.51 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Also see Kushner/Saudi Arabia

h/t RdA
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The main reason that American banks "got paid back" is that they took over control of his businesses for over a decade and ran them profitably. And if they were "very happy" why did they then cut all ties with him? Even Duechebank cut ties with him in 2021
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:36 am Trump has declared that Mar-a-Lago is worth at least $1 billion. I’d love to see the real estate tax bill he gets from the county for the upcoming year based on that statement!
Doing the math with generous rounding for everyone's benefit -

The Google says property taxes in Florida range from .8 to .91% of valuation. If FL is like OR, that valuation is stated on the annual tax statement which we are not privy to. If we go by Eric's estimation, MAL property taxes would be just south of $10M. If we go by senior Trump's previous valuation, they would pay south of $2M in the $1.5M area.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”