💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Gregg

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Gregg »

Yeah, I have to agree. It's a shame it's necessary and, yes, there will be blowback but what's new? I'm sick to death of: On today's show we'll discuss Nazis. Evil or just misunderstood?
On at least 4 networks you could add
NewsFoxMax wrote:'We have a swastika waving Jew who you might want to listen to after this, from "Fleece Gold and Bullion".
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

No working with the dirty Dems. Yet. Goog luck herding them squirrels McCarthy!
Manu Raju @mkraju wrote: McCarthy only can lose four Rs if all Ds are opposed.
I asked him if it’s time to cut a deal w Democrats on the continuing resolution. “This isn’t the 30th, we have a long ways to go.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Rep. Spartz issued a statement regarding her position.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

So she scolds 'both sides', but is still happy to participate in obstructionism and not cross the isle to work with democrats?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

She helps bring the worthless to Congress
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:17 pm So she scolds 'both sides', but is still happy to participate in obstructionism and not cross the isle to work with democrats?
They lack backbone, unlike her.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So she's running for Speaker, right? Show them what leadership is about. Do it!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Aisle :homophone:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:43 amAisle :homophone:
Great. I saw the alert and automatically scrolled up to see where I messed up.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Tamie Wilson for US Congress (OH-4) @TamieUSCongress wrote: Kevin McCarthy and Jim Jordan you’re BUSTED on tape!!!

We are going to blast your blatant and disgusting hypocrisy everywhere. 👇

Your illegal inquiry into President Biden without evidence has been exposed for being a scam.

You’re screwed. Let me count the ways. 👇

Literally zero Republicans I’ve talked to in Ohio say an impeachment inquiry is a good use of Congress’ time.

What the hell have either of you done?

Shame on you for being more interested in scoring political points than doing anything useful. You’re WASTING taxpayer dollars and I’m so grateful more and more people are seeing through your charade.

Jim Jordan, you constantly obstruct investigations into Republicans but you salivate over investigations into Democrats. You are pathetic.

Moderate Republicans who support me say you’re blind following of Trump turns them off.

Going after Biden will just prove you care about protecting your master over everything else.

You’re a clown Jim Jordan. Ohio deserves a REAL member of Congress, and I am the strong woman who is going to beat you!
raison de arizona

Oh look, the circus is in town. Too bad they have the ability to shut down the government.
House Devolves Into Chaos With Shouts of ‘Regular Order!’ as Speaker McCarthy Loses Control
Rep. Mike Garcia, R-Calif., was furious at his GOP colleagues for his inability to move the defense bill: 'They just handed a win to the China Communist Party'

Amid a chaotic scene and shouts of "regular order!" on the House floor Tuesday, a small faction of ultraconservatives blocked consideration of a GOP defense spending bill as the country inched closer to a government shutdown.

The vote underscored how House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is losing control of his conference. The chaos in recent weeks has led some ultraconservatives to consider a vote to remove McCarthy from his leadership post.

A House vote on a procedural rule that would have allowed amendments and debate on the defense appropriations bill failed, 212-214.

The five ultraconservatives who voted against the rule – Andy Biggs of Arizona, Dan Bishop of North Carolina, Ken Buck of Colorado, Ralph Norman of South Carolina and Matt Rosendale of Montana – have been engaged in a larger blockade on all appropriations measures as they seek deeper spending cuts.
:snippity:
https://themessenger.com/politics/house ... es-control
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So why the hell cant he bring in the Dems and 10 of his moderates, and just tell the Anarchists to just fuck off?
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Good question. Are there 10 moderates?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Suranis wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:06 pm So why the hell cant he bring in the Dems and 10 of his moderates, and just tell the Anarchists to just fuck off?
If he does that they will try to remove him from the Speakership.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kevin McCarthy Failed to Hold His Caucus Together on Defense Authorization
I never thought I'd live to see a Republican majority fail to pass a key vote on funding the national defense.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... n-failure/
Over the past decade or so, I've seen a lot of things in our politics that I never thought I'd see, The Carnival of Souls has been open for business, and all manner of grotesques have frolicked across the landscape. But one thing I never thought I'd see was a Republican majority in the national legislature fail to pass a key vote on funding the national defense. I mean, glory be to Cap Weinberger, ever since President Reagan used the defense budget to blow up the deficit for the first time in his two terms, Republicans have found their knees reliably jerking in the direction of whatever shiny new weapons system winked at them. Nevertheless, on Tuesday afternoon, Speaker Kevin McCarthy couldn't hold his caucus together on the rule allowing the defense authorization bill to proceed. Five Republicans joined all the Democratic members voting in the House to defeat the rule. It was yet another flying elbow drop onto the Speaker's noggin. (I was going to refer to its being another kick in the nuts, but they're now located in Marjorie Taylor Greene's locker at CrossFit.) This defeat came after McCarthy postponed a vote on a stopgap general funding bill that might have staved off a government shutdown earlier Tuesday afternoon. From Politico:

Democrats oppose the Pentagon funding bill, which Republicans loaded with conservative provisions that aim to limit abortion access, medical treatment for transgender troops and diversity efforts. McCarthy can lose just a few votes on that or any bill... House Rules Committee Chair Tom Cole (R-Okla.) lamented that the Pentagon bill was being blocked by a faction of right-wing lawmakers who had demanded the bill be written with a variety of conservative social provisions. “That’s not good legislation. And that’s blackmail,” Cole said. “So hey, if there’s … nothing in this bill you disagree with, tell me why you’re voting no. “There’s no justification,” he said.

Rep. Tom seems to have been exploring the jungles of Papua New Guinea for the past decade. His party's power elite isn't interested in legislating. That's too close to "governing," which is itself too close to "actual work." And they haven't sought "justification" for their vandalism since the day Barack Obama was nominated. The next two weeks are going to be an amazing show.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kevin McCarthy Issues Strong Warning to Republicans

https://www.newsweek.com/kevin-mccarthy ... 1695156205
Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday issued a warning to House Republicans threatening to oust him as speaker.

McCarthy, who saw a historically troubled ascendance to the speakership in January, has been at odds with the further-right flanks of his caucus in recent months, with MAGA-aligned members expressing discontent with his leadership. The reactions were typified by Representative Matt Gaetz of Florida, who threatened to begin holding daily votes to oust McCarthy from position as speaker if certain demands were not met.

"I rise today to serve notice: Mr. Speaker, you are out of compliance with the agreement that allowed you to assume this role," Gaetz said, later adding: "So we're either going to get compliance or we're going to start having votes on motions to vacate, and we're gonna have them regularly. I don't anticipate them passing immediately. But I think that, you know, if we have to begin every single day in Congress with the prayer, the pledge and the motion to vacate, so be it."

Among the demands Gaetz has mentioned are the release of January 6, 2021, Capitol riot security footage, votes on term limits, subpoenas issued for Hunter Biden, and a more expedient impeachment process against President Joe Biden. McCarthy, looking to wrangle support from his fractured caucus, recently announced his endorsement of a Biden impeachment inquiry, which Gaetz dismissed as a "baby step."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Matt Laslo
@MattLaslo
Found on a baby changing table in restroom underneath House floor:

“Declaring the office of Speaker of the House of Representatives to be vacant,” from Rep.
@mattgaetz
, Sept. 15, 2023, 11:22am
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

That does not include the warning though
On Tuesday, Manu Raju, chief congressional correspondent for CNN, took to X, formerly Twitter, to relay a stern statement from McCarthy in which he warned that he would stick around if Gaetz's attempts to oust him were successful.

"Speaker McCarthy says he's not going to leave if Gaetz's vote to oust succeeds," Raju wrote. "And he denied he's avoiding working [with] Dems on the stop-gap bill to keep government open to save his speakership. Says he's pushing for most conservative outcome. 'I'm not quitting,' he told me."

Newsweek reached out to McCarthy's office via email for comment.

The House is in the midst of working out a spending bill that would keep the government open past the current funding deadline of September 30. If a deal is not reached by then, the government will enter a shutdown.

Several prominent MAGA Republicans have gone back and forth recently over what their demands should be for the bill. A continuing resolution to fund the government was recently put forward by Representative Byron Donalds of Florida, but Gaetz took issue with the fact that it would continue to provide funding to special counsel Jack Smith's investigations of former President Donald Trump, while Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia argued that it would also continue allowing for aid to Ukraine.
Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Coming up shortly...
The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on Wednesday, September 20, 2023, at 10:00 a.m. ET. The hearing, "Oversight of the U.S. Department of Justice," will examine how the Justice Department has become politicized and weaponized under the leadership of Attorney General Merrick Garland.
https://judiciary.house.gov/committee-a ... -justice-0
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Jordan jumps in after Rep Lofgren yields, recognizes himself and hijacks the narrative again. This isn't the normal done thing, is it?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

"Mr. Garland, have you ever told Joe Biden just to knock it off with Hunter?"

-Judiciary Committee Matt "Sleazeball" Gaetz.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

My God. Rep Spartz is practically yelling at AG Garland. Carrying on about J6 people coming there with babies in strollers and I couldn't keep track of what else she was pissed off about. The look on Garland's face...
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 6a5b&ei=20

Someone did do a write up on Spartz's tirade yesterday.
Conservative efforts to downplay the events of Jan. 6, 2021, and allege the political “weaponization” of the government seem to ratchet up with each passing week.

But rarely have they reached such a fever pitch, at least at the official level, as they did Wednesday with Rep. Victoria Spartz (R-Ind.).

During a House Judiciary Committee hearing featuring Attorney General Merrick Garland, Spartz both suggested that the scene at the Capitol on Jan. 6 was actually something of an innocent family affair and also seemed to compare the U.S. government to the Soviet KGB.

“There probably were some people that came on January 6th here, you know, that had bad intent,” Spartz allowed. “But a lot of good Americans from my district came here because they are sick and tired of this government not serving them. They came with strollers and the kids, and there was [a] chaotic situation because the proper security wasn’t provided.”

“They were throwing smoke bombs into the crowd with strollers with kids,” she said. “People showed up, you know, FBI agents, to people’s houses. You had, in my district, in my town, FBI phone numbers all over the district. … People are truly afraid.”

There do not appear to be many publicly available images of small children and strollers in the most contested areas near the Capitol on Jan. 6. Nor have many Republicans previously raised this as a complaint. A Wall Street Journal timeline states that smoke and tear gas were wafting through the crowd as of 1:13 p.m. By that point, scuffles between law enforcement and angry protesters had broken out.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

There are a lot of people who rightly feel the government doesn't serve them. What they are too brainwashed to understand is that it is their republican representatives, whom they keep reelecting,who are the cause of their misery.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Yes, there were probably people there with strollers and such. What Spatz leaves out is that those people ran off with their strollers when the crowd turned into a Mob and started attacking the police. A lot of the crowd did turn and leave at that point, and *shock* were not tear gassed or charged with anything.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”