Twitter Alternatives: The Great Migration

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:12 am I am just waiting for some techbro to reinvent usenet but not know enough computer history to remember it.

Tech really seems to go in cycles, with new devs who fetishize NOT learning from the past reinventing things over and over... there are a whole bunch of technologies in the 'nets dustbin that could probably be good starting points. Usenet+RSS+AWS ....
Can Usenet 2023 not have 'alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die', though? That one always bugged me. Wil Wheaton's a good dude.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:24 am
neeneko wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:12 am I am just waiting for some techbro to reinvent usenet but not know enough computer history to remember it.

Tech really seems to go in cycles, with new devs who fetishize NOT learning from the past reinventing things over and over... there are a whole bunch of technologies in the 'nets dustbin that could probably be good starting points. Usenet+RSS+AWS ....
Can Usenet 2023 not have 'alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die', though? That one always bugged me. Wil Wheaton's a good dude.
Unless you're Sheldon Cooper. (I loved that show.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Usenet, now that brings back memories. I recall picking an ISP based on who had the most robust newsgroup server. They varied a lot. I recall battling conservative morons on Usenet at the time of the 2000 election fiasco in Florida and SCOTUS.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I finally got around to joining Mastodon. I am FLGardener if anyone cares to follow. I am on the sunny.garden server, although not sure that should matter if you are looking for my account. I don't yet know how Mastodon works, I will get around to poking a bit in it sometime this week, I suppose.

I will probably post things like photos of the butterfly garden, butterflies/eggs/larvae, etc and also photos of my arts and crafts thingies. I made some cool (I think :batting: ) ring dishes today. I may post them in our Arts and Crafts forum after I finish curing and varnishing the last one.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”