Jake Teixeira posted secrets on Discord

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/21/politics ... index.html
Jack Teixeira, the Air National Guardsman accused of leaking highly classified military documents on social media, pleaded not guilty in a Massachusetts court Wednesday to six federal charges.

Teixeira, 21, was indicted earlier this month on several counts of willful retention and transmission of classified information related to the national defense. He has been held in federal custody since his arrest in April.

The Massachusetts native stands accused of sharing classified military documents on the social media platform Discord. The documents included detailed intelligence assessments of allies and adversaries alike, including the state of the war in Ukraine.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

xpost
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:27 pm Didn't know where to put this as I couldn't remember the thread for teixeira. But he's using Donald trump being charged for the same crime as a defense.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Has he even heard of Reality Winner?.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

He has a point. This is the two tiered system we pretend not to have.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Weird I tried searching for this thread with his last name and couldn't find it
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:06 pm He has a point. This is the two tiered system we pretend not to have.
I would make the counter-argument that Trump is surrounded by law enforcement and has a higher profile in a specific way, making him less able to flee.

Teixeira has no reason not to flee, and released from pretrial detention would lack the constant law enforcement presence that would be able to track his movements. This may not be definitive, but shirley it's something to consider.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Teixeira's arsenal may have something to do with it. IIRC, he was threat-y.
Within arm's reach of his bed, Teixeira had a gun locker filled with handguns, bolt-action rifles and an assault-style weapon. There was ammunition on his dresser and a silencer in a desk drawer. Half of Teixeira's $19,000 net worth is tied to the value of his guns, according to the filing.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:49 am
RVInit wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:06 pm He has a point. This is the two tiered system we pretend not to have.
I would make the counter-argument that Trump is surrounded by law enforcement and has a higher profile in a specific way, making him less able to flee.

Teixeira has no reason not to flee, and released from pretrial detention would lack the constant law enforcement presence that would be able to track his movements. This may not be definitive, but shirley it's something to consider.
Those are excellent points, but I'm still not at all surprised that he tried to get pretrial released based on the appearance of a two tiered system, which we really do have. Maybe it doesn't strictly apply to this specific single situation, but still, it doesn't surprise me one bit that he would try using this argument.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I would certainly make that argument, in his position. Rotting in jail while FUNGUS is wandering around shouting at rallys and playing bad golf has got to sting at the very least.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”