Awkwafina - Korean/Chinese/American Comic/Actor

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Awkwafina - Korean/Chinese/American Comic/Actor

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.allure.com
Awkwafina Changes the Rules of the Game
AS A HIGH-SPIRITED KID FROM AN OUTER BOROUGH OF THE BIG CITY, AWKWAFINA (AKA NORA LUM) TOOK A BIG RISK ON FAME. SEVERAL MOVIES, TV SHOWS, AND A RAP CAREER LATER, IT HAS PAID OFF SPECTACULARLY. THE NEXT MOVES ARE HERS.

In a year when much of the world seemed to come to a screeching halt, this 33-year-old actor has had to grasp onto her spare time when she can find it. I catch her on a Zoom call during a rare break from filming. On the first morning that we chat, she’s already showered and gone for a walk with Haeng-Un, the three-year-old pup she adopted a few weeks earlier. She’s back in bed with Haeng-Un (which means “good luck” in Korean) for our conversation, and afterward, she’ll rush off to the set.

Lum has worked almost nonstop through the pandemic: Marvel’s all-Asian superhero movie, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, was fortuitously filming in Australia, where COVID-19 had been quickly brought under control. She flew home to L.A. for a month or two, and then to Vancouver to film Swan Song with Mahershala Ali. Then it was back to New York for season two of her Comedy Central series, Nora from Queens.

“It’s insane. I’m doing it every day and many weekends,” she says of filming. “But it fills the time up better when you’re busy rather than kind of idle. I was watching this Joan Rivers documentary and she has this scene that I really relate to, where she pulls up a calendar and said some iteration of, ‘My nightmare is when these boxes are all blank.’ ”

In Hollywood, funny people typically stay in their lane for at least a few years before trying to prove their dramatic chops. But just a year after being heralded as one of comedy’s brightest new stars, Lum showed her range in The Farewell, Lulu Wang’s bittersweet family drama, portraying a granddaughter stuck in an intergenerational family lie. Then she made history in 2020, becoming the first Asian American woman to win a Golden Globe for best actress.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Mrich

Re: Awkwafina - Korean/Chinese/American Comic/Actor

Post by Mrich »

She was great in "Crazy Rich Asians" and "Ocean's Eight". I tried watching "Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens" on Comedy Central" but couldn't get into it.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”