Hijack This Thread

Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Oddly, I have a big backup of Albuterol. If anyone has questions just PM me.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Before its fall, Akorn settled a lawsuit for $7.9M

Paige Twenter -
Thursday, March 2nd, 2023

Akorn Operating Co., a Gurnee, Ill.-based drugmaker that shut down in late February after years of manufacturing violations and dwindling finances, settled for $7.9 million in a lawsuit involving Medicare false claim allegations.

A few months before its sudden closure — which may hinder efforts to resupply the nation's stock of liquid albuterol — Akorn paid nearly $8 million to resolve the case in September, according to the Justice Department. In its settlement, the company admitted to selling generic drugs through obsolete, prescription-only labeling.

Medicare Part D pays only for prescription drugs, and Akorn admitted to delaying the conversion from prescription-only to over-the-counter status. The three products were Diclofenac (diclofenac sodium 1%), a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory cream; Olopatadine (olopatadine hydrochloride 0.1% and 0.2%), an antihistamine eye drop; and Azelastine (azelastine hydrochloride 0.15%), an antihistamine nasal spray.

Before this settlement, Akorn's financial history was rocky for years, according to the Herald & Review. In 2018, Fresenius Kabi walked out of a $4.75 billion deal with Akorn because of manufacturing safety discrepancies. It then filed for bankruptcy in 2020 but stabilized later that year when its sale was approved to existing lenders.

On Feb. 22, 2023, Akorn filed for bankruptcy again, laid off hundreds and closed all operations.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/p ... -7-9m.html
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Restoftheworldia" is now a Lexicon, Snarksaurus, and Atlas entry. Congrats, sam! :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:22 am "Restoftheworldia" is now a Lexicon, Snarksaurus, and Atlas entry. Congrats, sam! :clap:
Will be adding it to the Lexicon
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

I'm sitting here in the orthopaedics waiting room the TV is on the ABC Australia morning show, and some clown is on wearing a single feather on his forehead like a South American native warrior or something. I gather from the subtitles he's a singer that been on one of the TV singing comps, what I can just make out from what little I can hear is he's got a strong Aussie accent.

I don't like to indulge in racial profiling but physically the guy would not be out of place in Adolph's ideal dreams.

What the he'll is he dressing up like an Inca warrior?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

A cleaning company illegally employed a 13-year-old. Her family is paying the price.
One of 27 minors hired to clean a Nebraska slaughterhouse, the middle-schooler and her family now fear deportation and more.

By Maria Sacchetti and Lauren Kaori Gurley
March 3, 2023 at 1:58 p.m. EST

At 13, she was too young to be cleaning a meatpacking plant in the heart of Nebraska cattle country, working the graveyard shift amid the brisket saws and the bone cutters. The cleaning company broke the law when it hired her and more than two dozen other teenagers in this gritty industrial town, federal officials said.

Since the U.S. Department of Labor raided the plant in October, Packers Sanitation Services, a contractor hired to clean the facility, has been fined for violating child labor laws. The girl, meanwhile, has watched her whole life unravel.

First, she lost the job that burned and blistered her skin but paid her $19 an hour. Then a county judge sent her stepfather to jail for driving her to work each night, a violation of state child labor laws. Her mother also faces jail time for securing the fake papers that got the child the job in the first place. And her parents are terrified of being sent back to Guatemala, the country they left several years ago in search of a better life.

“I have no words,” the mother said last month, sobbing in the doorway of their pale-peach house hours after police had led her husband away in handcuffs. The girl, now 14, hugged her mother and struggled to describe how she felt.

“Bad,” she said, finally.

As a subcontractor to Brazil-based JBS, Packers Sanitation Services employed minors to clean the Grand Island meatpacking plant. JBS is one of the world’s biggest beef producers. (Madeline Cass for The Washington Post)
A sweeping investigation of Packers found 102 teens, ages 13 to 17, scouring slaughterhouses in eight states, part of a growing wave of child workers illegally hired to fill jobs in some of the nation’s most dangerous industries. Driven in part by persistent labor shortages and record numbers of unaccompanied migrant minors arriving from Central America, child labor violations have nearly quadrupled since 2015, according to Labor Department data, spiking in hazardous jobs that American citizens typically shun.

Homeland Security Investigations has opened a criminal investigation into possible human trafficking related to the Department of Labor’s civil probe, a spokesperson said, and the Biden administration this week pledged a broader crackdown. But the fallout in Grand Island illustrates the painful complexity of enforcing the nation’s child labor laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -migrants/
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Islington Sunset.jpeg
Islington Sunset.jpeg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Sunset from the roof of my sister in law's flat in Islington London :lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pmNice!
It was…. now I’ve just tested positive for Covid and am stranded in this nice little loft on the roof for no telling how long. At least it is a cozy/comfy little spot with everything I could possibly need, except the rest of the family that is... :(
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bummer, Ms.Daisy!!!!!!!! :cry:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Oh, noes! :eek:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I'm sorry to hear this - get better fast! :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

Terrible timing. :(
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Texas Observer
@TexasObserver@texasobserver.social
2.7 million Texans—people like Tiayana Hardy—are expected to lose access to #medicaid after the #COVID emergency expires on March 31. A single mother of two needs to earn less than $4K per year to be eligible for Texas Medicaid insurance, while childless adults are totally ineligible.

Advocates worry many won't even realize their #insurance is gone until they reach the doctor's office, reports @sarahutch:
https://www.texasobserver.org/medicaid-tex
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

More for the rest of us.

Texas is walling itself off from the rest of us. Buh-bye!! Don’t look back.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Also, boo, Ms Daisy! At least you have a nice view. :bighug:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

So, we have many a lawyer and once were lawyers around these parts so I haz a question [not legal advice]...

My friends sprout [I shamelessly stole that from our Ms 520 :batting: ] is going to be a lawyer [corporate law] after the grad HS next year, she will be doing pre-law as her major for her bachelors...

Soooo...she wants to know what would be the best minor for her to take...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm Soooo...she wants to know what would be the best minor for her to take...
The actual topic probably doesn't matter as much as her grades, sad to say.

But because of that, my advice would be to minor in whatever interests her the most. That way she will really enjoy the classes and will be likely to get great grades too also.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:31 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm Soooo...she wants to know what would be the best minor for her to take...
The actual topic probably doesn't matter as much as her grades, sad to say.

But because of that, my advice would be to minor in whatever interests her the most. That way she will really enjoy the classes and will be likely to get great grades too also.
I agree. I would also suggest that many law schools will look down on a pre-law major. She may be better off pursuing whichever academic discipline most interests her. To get a feel for what actual legal work is like, she may want to volunteer at a legal services charity.

Also, I am thinking that, with the rise in AI, law schools may focus more on standardized testing, and less on undergraduate grades (which could be inflated with the use of AI).
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

I know a surprising number of attorneys who majored in...history. Too late they realized that...gasp...history doesn't pay the rent, so they went to law school and became affluent lawyers who then worried about how they were going to pay for their kids' college.

A few remained interested in history.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

If you want to be a corporate lawyer for a bank, for example, would it make sense to get some kind of finance degree?

Or, if interested in being a corporate lawyer for a chemical company, would it make sense to get be a chemistry major?

:shrug:
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Don't forget to watch most of your clocks change themselves tonight.

Yes, I effectively rise at 4:30, would be the time if not for the adjustment. :biggrin:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:43 pm Don't forget to watch most of your clocks change themselves tonight.

Yes, I effectively rise at 4:30, would be the time if not for the adjustment. :biggrin:
What is this barbaric clock changing of which you speak? :mrgreen:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

So, do we gain or lose an hour tonight? I can never remember...
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

► Show Spoiler
:twisted:

ps. Europe makes the Great Transition on March 27 this year (last Sunday in March)

Return to “General Stuff”