George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 am
I think I can. :think: :think:

Elizabeth Warren and the time she said she had indigenous heritage several years before. We’re still hearing about it.

I guess IOKIYAR :roll:
Good memory. That's an example. I recall the kerfuffle over Hillary's claim of landing in Bosnia under sniper fire. That was later defuted by WaPo and other news sources, and became fodder for the GOP campaign trails in the ensuing years, especially Trump's in 2016.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Colbert had Harvey Guillén on last night doing his delightful impression of Santos. I highly recommend watching it. (Full disclosure, I adore Guillén. He reminds me of my oldest during his awkward teen years.)

My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:57 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:48 am Is he a state representative or a US representative?
US House Rep. (same as Kitara Santos)

...and Anna Paulina Luna? Trifecta!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:02 pm :snippity:

...and Anna Paulina Luna? Trifecta!
Hat Trick!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:47 pm
He's going to make sure his constituents don't have train derailments?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

At my mom's house earlier and she mentioned the train derailment. Her first comment was something along the lines of "Pete B must have been busy feeding his baby when that happened." I simply asked her if he was supposed to let the baby starve and she quickly changed the subject to how quickly Haley Barbour visited the coast when Katrina hit. When I mentioned that Dewine had delayed even declaring an emergency, she changed the topic to some book she was reading.

My mother is well-educated, smart and (I thought) stayed up on current events. Nope. 24/7 Fox news in the background. They've ruined her to the point my s-i-l and I both dread going out there because we know she's going to be spouting some crazy shit at us. Last time, it was antifa in the trees ambushing Atlanta cops and what a shame it was that nobody was reporting all the deaths.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
June bug

Post by June bug »

Which one?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:lol:
George Santos's elaborate lies has seen the Congressman compared with a 19th-century huckster. History bears that out.

Allegra Rosenberg
Mon, February 20, 2023 at 12:30 PM GMT+1
That's not entirely off-base. Santos' behavior is well in line with 19th century fakes.
Lots of scammers faked a resume, dressed nice to deflect inspection, claimed great feats.
If you haven't been keeping track of George Santos's lies lately, I don't blame you. It's hard to stay up to date with the reveals!
But my fascination isn'treally about the specific lies — that he was a star player on Baruch College's volleyball team or that he founded an animal charity that saved thousands of pets. Instead it's the vibe of the lies, and the depth of them, the way once you start looking deeper they expand endlessly in a fractal of fraud. The lies, taken together, form an aesthetic of pure shamelessness which holds an eternal appeal.

My obsession is summed up pretty well by a tweet from @blagojevism: "George Santos is essentially a 19th-century character. He should be traveling about the countryside in a mule drawn wagon, with a trunk full of patent medicines and the deeds to various fictional gold mines."

The traveling conman archetype the tweet references is part of a constellation of tropes that also includes the quack doctor, the Barnum-esque showman, and the fake psychic. Media depicting these characters found inspiration from real life: in a time before digital records and facial recognition, opportunity was everywhere. You could reinvent yourself from town to town as you moved across the expanding frontier; or you could settle in a big city and take advantage of a steady flow of brand-new suckers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-santo ... 00112.html
(original: INSIDER)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

George Santos claims he was forced to fabricate his background to gain the acceptance of local GOP party officials: “I’ve been a terrible liar .. I made mistakes of allowing the pressures of what I thought needed to be done in order to - this wasn’t about tricking anybody.”
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:o :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Yep, he’s pure liar all the way through. He’s even figured out the one thing that would appeal to both sides.

Dems: aww, poor George. Look what those mean Republicans made him do

Rep: oh, nice move George. Appeal to those emotions we don’t have.

Fuck me. I HATE this timeline.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:02 pm
George Santos claims he was forced to fabricate his background to gain the acceptance of local GOP party officials: “I’ve been a terrible liar .. I made mistakes of allowing the pressures of what I thought needed to be done in order to - this wasn’t about tricking anybody.
What Santos describes is precisely about tricking people. "… in order to …"? in order to get what he wanted.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA17IYrh
Even serial liar George Santos has soured on Don Lemon.

The Long Island congressman with a penchant for embellishment canceled an exclusive sit-down with the embattled CNN anchor over the latter’s widely condemned sexist remarks about former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley.

Santos instead opted to do an interview with Post columnist Piers Morgan.

“We heard the comments and it was in very poor taste and we did not wish to do a sit-down with someone who could speak ill of women in that regard,” a spokesperson for the New York Republican told the Daily Mail.

“It shouldn’t matter if it’s a Republican or Democratic woman running for public office, but we’re not going to sit down with someone who would say such horrible things.

“I don’t think he should be rewarded for bad behavior,” the rep added.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:01 pm “I don’t think he should be rewarded for bad behavior,” the rep added.
:faint:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:01 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA17IYrh
Even serial liar George Santos has soured on Don Lemon.

The Long Island congressman with a penchant for embellishment canceled an exclusive sit-down with the embattled CNN anchor over the latter’s widely condemned sexist remarks about former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley.

Santos instead opted to do an interview with Post columnist Piers Morgan.

“We heard the comments and it was in very poor taste and we did not wish to do a sit-down with someone who could speak ill of women in that regard,” a spokesperson for the New York Republican told the Daily Mail.

“It shouldn’t matter if it’s a Republican or Democratic woman running for public office, but we’re not going to sit down with someone who would say such horrible things.

“I don’t think he should be rewarded for bad behavior,” the rep added.

I got $10 that says CNN/Lemon cancelled, he's kind of suspended I hear.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What Lemon said was bad, but it’s definitely not worse than dozens of things tfg has said and gets a pass on. And Lemon apologized at least, unlike tfg.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Pretty sorry attempt at blackmail if you ask me.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Does Santos always talk about himself in the third person?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:00 am Does Santos always talk about himself in the third person?
I've never noticed him doing it. Is it a recent thing?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:13 am
jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 am
I think I can. :think: :think:

Elizabeth Warren and the time she said she had indigenous heritage several years before. We’re still hearing about it.

I guess IOKIYAR :roll:
Good memory. That's an example. I recall the kerfuffle over Hillary's claim of landing in Bosnia under sniper fire. That was later defuted by WaPo and other news sources, and became fodder for the GOP campaign trails in the ensuing years, especially Trump's in 2016.
If I recall correctly, Elizabeth Warren actually does have some native-American blood, but not nearly as much as she implied at the time. That is an example of embellishment. Not good, but not a complete lie, either.

Santos, on the other hand, has said quite a few things that simply have no basis in fact, whatsoever. Not quite the same thing.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:47 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:00 am Does Santos always talk about himself in the third person?
I've never noticed him doing it. Is it a recent thing?
He said it three times above - "we heard the comments ...", "we do not wish to sit down...", "we're not going to sit down ...".

And then just to check myself, I looked up the grammar rules about WE. We is first person *plural*, not third person. My mistake. Without more context, I cannot tell who he associates himself with to form a We. I've worked with bloviators before, and they love to refer to themselves as We as if they are larger than life, and a force of many in a single person.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

"we" doesn't sound third-person to me. It sounds like he is speaking of himself and staff collectively.

Now some politicians in the past have distinctly used third-person speak. i.e. Bob Dole talking about Bob Dole. :biggrin:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Maybe he has a multiple personality disorder. Would explain some of the lies. An alter said those things, not Georgie Porgie.

Return to “Current Politics”