X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:36 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:57 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:49 am For those concerned about the mess Wite-Out might make, it now comes in clear!
What on earth would you use clear Wite-Out for?
Oh, you're gonna hate me ....
Oops! I'm gonna blame it on, uh... Oh! Lack of sleep - because... hmmm.... because I spent too long on the Ordles last night. Yeah, that sounds good...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

New threats against the remaining employees - agree to work abusive hours, or quit now and take 3 months severance pay.

I'll take the money, thankyouverymuch. And at my next job interview, I will tell the lady she doesn't have to cry about what happened to me, just gimme the new job.

Washington Post gift article
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

There are stories like this from Intel which has a huge presence here. You have a job on Friday when you leave for the weekend. On Monday your badge is turned off, and you're directed to another building where you can gather your things and collect a check.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Everything changes. Everything.

The trick is to learn how to roll with it, but I know a lot of tech companies are cutting back.
tek

Twitter

Post by tek »

pretty sure the only people that will be left are people who are unemployable elsewhere.

It's not like nobody has been through this before.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:25 am Everything changes. Everything.

The trick is to learn how to roll with it, but I know a lot of tech companies are cutting back.
Just a few months ago there weren't enough warm bodies working.

I suspect Amazon and Facebook are doing their layoffs in a human resources-approved way, vs. firing an engineer via Twitter.
Danraft

Twitter

Post by Danraft »

Hmmm.
Seems like a 3-month pay signing bonus to stay on is the proper response. I mean, if you’re willing to pay me 3-months pay to not do my job, how much is it worth to do it?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

How much worth is the 3 month bonus when the slavery work hours are expected starting at 14 hours/day with out extra compensation or free time?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

The thing is, he's promising to make your life as an employee worse. Much worse.

And he's not promising additional pay or benefits. Just more hours work for the same pay and benefits. It's a pay cut, tbh.

Or you can have three months pay and off you go.

And I was under the impression that he had already created too many disgruntled former employees, and he was trying to keep the ones that were left.

But this seems like a good idea, if he wants to get rid of all the rest of the Earthlings who work there.

Because if everyone else takes the money and splits, you have to work that much harder because you're all alone. So then you quit, too also.

I just don't understand how this helps the company.
Off Topic
Disgruntled is one of my favorite words, because of course what you really want is gruntled employees. And, of course, gruntled former employees. Those people never cause any problems. You ever see a story, "Gruntled Former Employee Goes On Rampage"? No, 'course not. They don't do that sorta thing. They're gruntled, is why.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

He’ll do the MAGA thing of hiring second and third tier engineers and it will all go boom anyway but now MAGAtinfested.
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:37 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:25 am Everything changes. Everything.

Just a few months ago there weren't enough warm bodies working.

I suspect Amazon and Facebook are doing their layoffs in a human resources-approved way, vs. firing an engineer via Twitter.
I work very closely with Meta. Yes, their layoffs were done properly. Painful, for sure. But thought out ahead of time and in accordance with local labor laws (around the world).
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

It's easy to sit back in my chair here and say, Musk sure is screwing this all up, but man, Musk sure is screwing this all up.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

The question I have is…on purpose?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 am The thing is, he's promising to make your life as an employee worse. Much worse.

And he's not promising additional pay or benefits. Just more hours work for the same pay and benefits. It's a pay cut, tbh.
It's like, who said it, Elon Musk or King Rehoboam, son of Solomon:
"My father laid on you a heavy yoke; I will make it even heavier. My father scourged you with whips; I will scourge you with scorpions."
Crikey.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Twitter

Post by bob »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:25 pm The question I have is…on purpose?
I find it difficult to believe someone is paying Musk to piss away $44 billion.
Image ImageImage
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

What’s that they used to say about Bezos? He could give billions away and still be a billionaire.

His family was part of the white power structure in South Africa. His beginnings lean authoritarian. I don’t believe what he says and I don’t trust him. I don’t trust him reaching out to Russian players. I don’t think he has anyone’s best interests at heart. He doesn’t seem to care about the trappings of wealth, certainly not like the gilt tfg slaps on everything and calls it classy.

I know, I sound paranoid. Why aren’t you?
humblescribe
Verified:

Twitter

Post by humblescribe »

If one were to search Twitter back around 2016, Tesla was having many difficulties getting their second mass-produced vehicle, the Model X, into production. The Model X featured Musk's personal design of their "falcon wing" doors. The doors to the rear seats would open up like a raptor's wing for entry and exit. Early on they just did not have the mechanical engineering down well enough to allow for assembly-line production at decent levels. This configuration was a nightmare at the outset.

So, what does Musk do? He decides to camp out on the assembly line. He lived there for a couple of weeks, sleeping on the floor when he decided he could afford forty winks. He was going to solve this manufacturing issue by working untold hours per day for however many days it would take.

He was the plurality shareholder with about 27% of the stock in his name. He was angling for more stock in the near future to increase his stake. In the eyes of the public, Tesla Motors = Musk Motors. So, while I think this was as much a publicity stunt as anything else, I'll give him a pass--his future and his company's future was at stake.

But a bunch of skilled computer dudes and dudettes do not have that much of a vested interest in Twitter to withstand such 19th Century working conditions. They actually have lives outside their jobs, unlike Musk who only wants to be the center of the universe.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

Twitter

For completeness, the hardcore email:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Twitter

Post by tek »

"at its heart, Twitter is a software and servers company"
Nope.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

tek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:53 pm
"at its heart, Twitter is a software and servers company"
Nope.
That's kind of like saying Tesla is a battery and mechanical engineering company.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter

Post by Ben-Prime »

Because Twitter sells both software and servers, duh. COME ON, PEOPLE!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Next buyer in line: Dell :blackeye:
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

an opinion of a Twitter user, recorded five months ago, when the puchase by Musk was already in the air.

raison de arizona

Twitter

Apparently several hundred people resigned in advance of the deadline today. No comment from Twitter, as they don’t have a communications department anymore!
dan1100

Twitter

Post by dan1100 »

tek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 am pretty sure the only people that will be left are people who are unemployable elsewhere.

It's not like nobody has been through this before.
I'm pretty sure they are down to mostly the people who will get deported if they lose their jobs.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”