King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

PaulG wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:33 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:57 pm
Love that picture. I never knew she was a redhead. I blame all those black and white photos, but that photo with President Ford really shows it. The Guardian story is interesting, but I'm unsure about the line "She has outlasted 12 US presidents." Somewhere it said she had met with 13 of the 14 presidents in office during her reign. Does that mean the story was sitting on a shelf ready to run and that bit got missed? I have strange thoughts.
12 presidents started and ended their terms of service during her reign, I believe is what they mean.
Gregg

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:17 pm
Best one..

James Bond accompanies HM The Queen
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The 14 presidents whose time in office overlapped with Elizabeth's reign were

Truman
Eisenhower
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush 1
Clinton
Bush 2
Obama
Trump
Biden

Of the 14, she never met Johnson at all. She met Truman before becoming queen. That may be where the number 12 comes from.

She outlasted the 12 presidents she met while they were in office and she was queen. She met 13 of the 14 men who were president during her reign but she met Truman before she became queen.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I'm having trouble finding the lyrics to 'God Save The King' anywhere.

I expect we'll be needing to sing it a lot in the next few months, but all I can find is 'God Save The Queen'.

What to do?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Maybe dumb question, but is William now Prince of Wales? :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:06 pm Maybe dumb question, but is William now Prince of Wales? :confuzzled:
I believe that the answer is not yet but he will be.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:58 pm The 14 presidents whose time in office overlapped with Elizabeth's reign were

Truman
:snippity:

Of the 14, she never met Johnson at all. She met Truman before becoming queen. That may be where the number 12 comes from.

She outlasted the 12 presidents she met while they were in office and she was queen. She met 13 of the 14 men who were president during her reign but she met Truman before she became queen.
I think Truman was out of office by the time of her coronation in June 1953. Mrs. RC and and were discussing this list in the car today.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:06 pm Maybe dumb question, but is William now Prince of Wales? :confuzzled:
No, that title is a gift from the monarch. It's not a title automatically conferred on him.

The assumption is that he *will* become Prince of Wales, but it's not a given.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

It is not an automatic elevation, so he will have to be named. In checking some of the prior ones, it took months to a couple of years to elevate one after the incumbent became King (Charles was not named Prince of Wales until 1958, and there had not been an incumbent for a while.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks all for the helpful comments. :bighug:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:17 pm Thanks all for the helpful comments. :bighug:
Here's a handy guide to how the titles and honours have changed:

https://inews.co.uk/news/prince-william ... ed-1842711
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

PaulG wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:33 pm The Guardian story is interesting, but I'm unsure about the line "She has outlasted 12 US presidents." Somewhere it said she had met with 13 of the 14 presidents in office during her reign. Does that mean the story was sitting on a shelf ready to run and that bit got missed? I have strange thoughts.
I'm sure that every news organization has an obituary and additional stories to update and publish for every important person in the world. Everyone dies. You'll need the story sooner or later. And it's a whole lot easier to update a story than to start from scratch.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The BBC is fiercely protective of the videos with the Queen, the Bond sketch above has been taken down and is only now here:

BBC took down almost all the Paddington Bear videos, but looks like the Royal Family's YouTube channel was allowed to keep it ;) We loved this video. Amazing it was only in June. Jun 6, 2022

Hearing many people say she may be known as Elizabeth the Dutiful. With her remarkable life and service, that certainly is true.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:18 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:17 pm Thanks all for the helpful comments. :bighug:
Here's a handy guide to how the titles and honours have changed:

https://inews.co.uk/news/prince-william ... ed-1842711
TY.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

No, he is now, in order, Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, Duke of Rothesay and Earl of Carrick but Prince of Wales, when vacated, remains the gift of the sovereign and does not automatically transfer.

I am having so much fun getting to use a lifetime of anglophile trivia!

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Phillip came to me today,
and said it was time to go.
I looked at him and smiled,
as i whispered that "I know"

I then turned and looked behind me,
and seen I was asleep.
All my Family were around me,
and I could hear them weep.

I gently touched each shoulder,
with Phillip by my side.
Then I turned away and walked,
with My Angel guide.

Phillip held my hand,
as he lead the way,
to a world where King's and Queens,
are Monarch's every day.

I was given a crown to wear
or a Halo known by some.
The difference is up here,
they are worn by everyone.

I felt a sense of peace,
my reign had seen its end.
70 years I had served my Country,
as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years,
for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again,
in our Palace up above.

This poem I believe was written by a lady called Joanne Boyle
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I used to be better, but :oldlady: Had to refresh my memory on Charles I and Charles II. How could I have forgotten, especially the latter?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:40 pm I used to be better, but :oldlady: Had to refresh my memory on Charles I and Charles II. How could I have forgotten, especially the latter?
Charles II was the one who left office a head shorter.

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:42 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:40 pm I used to be better, but :oldlady: Had to refresh my memory on Charles I and Charles II. How could I have forgotten, especially the latter?
That was Charles I.

Charles II was restored after the Commonwealth.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Gregg wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:42 pm
I thought it was Charles I who was beheaded? :oldlady: :confuzzled:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I love this one.
Attachments
QEII.jpg
QEII.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We have VPN, and connected to the UK to watch iTV and Channel 4 live coverage (you can enter a UK address for those, but with the BBC you can't because you need to have paid the broadcasting fee). The sheer scope of history and accomplishment has been well worth stopping and looking back at. We have a bunch of English pound notes, they'll still be good for a while but all currency will be replaced with King Charles.

More from that Guardian story (which is from 2017, many outlets including NYT are referring to it, but of course things could have changed). WaPo is referring to it too at https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... on-bridge/:
In the nine days that follow (in London Bridge planning documents, these are known as “D-day”, “D+1” and so on) there will be ritual proclamations, a four-nation tour by the new king, bowdlerised television programming, and a diplomatic assembling in London not seen since the death of Winston Churchill in 1965.
The most elaborate plans are for what happens if she passes away at Balmoral, where she spends three months of the year. This will trigger an initial wave of Scottish ritual. First, the Queen’s body will lie at rest in her smallest palace, at Holyroodhouse, in Edinburgh, where she is traditionally guarded by the Royal Company of Archers, who wear eagle feathers in their bonnets. Then the coffin will be carried up the Royal Mile to St Giles’s cathedral, for a service of reception, before being put on board the Royal Train at Waverley station for a sad progress down the east coast mainline. Crowds are expected at level crossings and on station platforms the length of the country – from Musselburgh and Thirsk in the north, to Peterborough and Hatfield in the south – to throw flowers on the passing train. (Another locomotive will follow behind, to clear debris from the tracks.) “It’s actually very complicated,” one transport official told me.

In every scenario, the Queen’s body returns to the throne room in Buckingham Palace, which overlooks the north-west corner of the Quadrangle, its interior courtyard. There will be an altar, the pall, the royal standard, and four Grenadier Guards, their bearskin hats inclined, their rifles pointing to the floor, standing watch. In the corridors, staff employed by the Queen for more than 50 years will pass, following procedures they know by heart. “Your professionalism takes over because there is a job to be done,” said one veteran of royal funerals. There will be no time for sadness, or to worry about what happens next. Charles will bring in many of his own staff when he accedes. “Bear in mind,” the courtier said, “everybody who works in the palace is actually on borrowed time.”

Outside, news crews will assemble on pre-agreed sites next to Canada Gate, at the bottom of Green Park. (Special fibre-optic cable runs under the Mall, for broadcasting British state occasions.) “I have got in front of me an instruction book a couple of inches thick,” said one TV director, who will cover the ceremonies, when we spoke on the phone. “Everything in there is planned. Everyone knows what to do.” Across the country, flags will come down and bells will toll. In 1952, Great Tom was rung at St Paul’s every minute for two hours when the news was announced. The bells at Westminster Abbey sounded and the Sebastopol bell, taken from the Black Sea city during the Crimean war and rung only on the occasion of a sovereign’s death, was tolled 56 times at Windsor – once for each year of George VI’s life – from 1.27pm until 2.22pm.

The 18th Duke of Norfolk, the Earl Marshal, will be in charge. Norfolks have overseen royal funerals since 1672. During the 20th century, a set of offices in St James’s Palace was always earmarked for their use. On the morning of George VI’s death, in 1952, these were being renovated. By five o’clock in the afternoon, the scaffolding was down and the rooms were re-carpeted, furnished and equipped with phones, lights and heating. During London Bridge, the Lord Chamberlain’s office in the palace will be the centre of operations. The current version of the plan is largely the work of Lieutenant-Colonel Anthony Mather, a former equerry who retired from the palace in 2014. As a 23-year-old guardsman in 1965, Mather led the pallbearers at Churchill’s funeral. (He declined to speak with me.) The government’s team – coordinating the police, security, transport and armed forces – will assemble at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. Someone will have the job of printing around 10,000 tickets for invited guests, the first of which will be required for the proclamation of King Charles in about 24 hours time.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... don-bridge

There are also documents released by POLITICO last year at https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-e ... on-bridge/
These are the full details of Operation LONDON BRIDGE and Operation SPRING TIDE — the plan for Charles’ accession to the throne.

D-Day
In the hours after the queen’s death, a “call cascade” will take place informing the prime minister, the cabinet secretary (Britain’s highest-ranking civil servant) and a number of the most senior ministers and officials. The PM will be informed by the queen’s private secretary, who will also tell the Privy Council Office, which coordinates government work on behalf of the monarch.
► Show Spoiler
https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-e ... on-bridge/

If she dies at Balmoral in Scotland, Operation UNICORN will be activated, meaning her body will be carried down to London by royal train if possible.
Stand by for Operation UNICORN.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:36 pm We have VPN, and connected to the UK to watch iTV and Channel 4 live coverage (you can enter a UK address for those, but with the BBC you can't because you need to have paid the broadcasting fee). The sheer scope of history and accomplishment has been well worth stopping and looking back at. We have a bunch of English pound notes, they'll still be good for a while but all currency will be replaced with King Charles.

:snippity: .
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... don-bridge
[/quote]

I understand that the fed is getting cancelled, don't know if it already happened.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

The TV licence fee is currently in force until at least 2024, and is supposed to be abolished in 2027.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Luke

Post by Luke »

Just checked and it's still asking for it. "A standard TV licence is currently £159."

Licence.JPG
Licence.JPG (57.35 KiB) Viewed 646 times

BBC America finally shifted over to royal coverage... this afternoon they were still running their regular programming.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

What must Liz Truss be going through? Right after seeing Her Majesty must be devastating. Parliament is adjourned for 10 days right in the middle of an economic crisis, hearing many people are having to pay more for their energy than their rent/home payments. And totally new to the job. She seems pretty shaky here. Wishing her luck, she has a huge amount of responsibility over the next 10 days/

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”