School related violence

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

:snippity:
Questions arose Tuesday about the chief and his department following an ABC News report suggesting Uvalde police were uncooperative with state officials. Travis Considine, a spokesman for Texas DPS, told The Dallas Morning News that the report was “not accurate.”

Considine said the Texas Rangers requested a follow-up interview with Arredondo on Sunday but have not received a response. He declined to say whether investigators considered the lack of response unusual.

“Uvalde PD and Uvalde ISD are cooperating,” he said. “Plenty of their personnel have done interviews and given statements to investigators, so it’s absolutely wrong to characterize both those departments as not being cooperative.”
:snippity:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2022/05 ... iefs-role/

Article updated an hour ago.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

63faee8c668e1920d943dea010a0aa6158c3b265d4e0dc8f26f986837834441f.jpg
63faee8c668e1920d943dea010a0aa6158c3b265d4e0dc8f26f986837834441f.jpg (15.45 KiB) Viewed 824 times
see
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A sign of the times, the Girl Scouts posthumously award a Bronze Cross to a ten year old for heroism under fire.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://patch.com/texas/sanantonio/meet ... re-victims

UVALDE, TX — When Amerie Jo Garza and Maite Rodriguez were laid to rest Tuesday, Trey Ganem did his part to ensure the two 10-year-old girls would be remembered for more than the terrifyingly awful way they died inside their Uvalde, Texas, school classroom.

Ganem and his SoulShine Industries donated the custom-painted child-size coffins as part of a push organized by Texas Funeral Directors Association president Jimmy Lucas to make grief more bearable for families who are burying the 19 little ones killed in the second-worst U.S. school shooting in modern times. Two teachers were also killed.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neeneko wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:26 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:14 pm I am coming around to this point of view no matter how reluctant I would be to view those photos.

The photos of the memorials tend to sanitize things.
I really do not think it would help. There is this idea that if only the right 'knew the human cost' or that the 'do not care about children', but I do not think either hold much water since the right believe they have the solution to stopping these problems (more guns) and giving them emotionally charged evidence of how bad things are just reenforces their idea that their solutions need to be implemented rather than the ones the left proposes that will 'do no good'.
I said this before, and I guess people thought I was being anti-American, but I think its a little more complex than that.

I think these people believe the lives taken by Gun violence are an acceptable sacrifice for Freedom. They wont say it out loud, but they have been brainwashed by that Line from that Thomas Jefferson letter about The Tree of liberty being watered by blood. In Context it was a shitty line anyway (he was basically saying a rebellion every 20 years is not that big a deal and is good for the country to clear out the bad vibes.) So even if you showed them pictures of those bodies, they would internally say it is worth the price. Then they would look down on you for not understanding this higher wisdom, and how this is for the greater good.

Freedom > all. Whatever freedom is.
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:14 pm

I am coming around to this point of view no matter how reluctant I would be to view those photos.

Taking a page out of the anti-abortion playbook with their "aborted fetus" posters.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:47 am
Volkonski wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:14 pm

I am coming around to this point of view no matter how reluctant I would be to view those photos.

Taking a page out of the anti-abortion playbook with their "aborted fetus" posters.
Pretty much. The same impulse drives it, and it wont work for the same reasons as the aborted fetus pics don't work.
Edit: I suppose I'd better explain. To put it very bluntly and briefly:

Pictures like that Horrify. They repulse. They do not persuade. They are more likely to make the person involved attack the provider of the picture than change their mind.

And if someone has already made the political decision to allow whats in the picture, then showing them wont make a difference as they already intellectually know what's in the picture happens.

And in this case the gun nuts are already primed and programmed into believing the dems/etc are just using these kids as political props, so showing pics of the kids shot will just confirm that idea.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The same way depicting cancer victims on cigarette packages does not work.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:10 am The same way depicting cancer victims on cigarette packages does not work.
Good example.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I agree with both points. It absolutely won’t work and it should be done.

It might prick their consciences a bit but won’t open their hardened hearts. It will galvanize the rest of us.
Jim

Post by Jim »

It will absolutely work, IMO.

The Republicans have declared war on our school children and will not do anything to change the trajectory, therefor we have to change the public's perception of it being a war with weapons of mass killing. The only way to do that is to see the damage caused by Republican inactivity, to turn the stomachs of the American people, to see what their policies actually wrought.

Humans are visual creatures...let them see and make up their own minds. I'll bet the 68%+ who want some kind of gun restrictions will become much more vocal and ready to face down the NRA and the pubs.
raison de arizona

Kilmeade/FoxNews this AM said the "vast majority" of Americans are in favor of hardening our schools, and that the "current administration" and Biden are out of step. Also, not on his show, but on a couple others yesterday they were addressing fire concerns. Apparently the answer is one entrance, many exits. :shrug: Like when you were a teen and one person would pay to get in to the movies and then pop open the door for all their friends to get in for free? Or when it gets hotter than crap because the AC barely works and you prop the door for airflow? Etc.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:00 pm Kilmeade/FoxNews this AM said the "vast majority" of Americans are in favor of hardening our schools, and that the "current administration" and Biden are out of step. Also, not on his show, but on a couple others yesterday they were addressing fire concerns. Apparently the answer is one entrance, many exits. :shrug: Like when you were a teen and one person would pay to get in to the movies and then pop open the door for all their friends to get in for free? Or when it gets hotter than crap because the AC barely works and you prop the door for airflow? Etc.
:confuzzled: I thought that schools were in the state domaine to do something?
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

That kid was carrying enough firepower to blast away the lock and blow the door off its hinges. And the previous week the big mass shooting was at a grocery store, and other mass shootings were at churches and nightclubs -- what sort of locked doors were they supposed to have?

Eliminating assault rifles is a step in the right direction.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wouldn’t the proposed door policies run afoul of local ordinances? I’ve looked at our states regs concerning doors, and they are specific, with all kinds of caveats for the various types of buildings. I imagine each state has their own in the building codes.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Aren't Republicans about less regulation?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:58 pm Wouldn’t the proposed door policies run afoul of local ordinances? I’ve looked at our states regs concerning doors, and they are specific, with all kinds of caveats for the various types of buildings. I imagine each state has their own in the building codes.
I believe you are correct. Didn't some districts get in hot water for using chains and padlocks on exterior doors? (that's a few decades ago) == fire code and all.
Jim

Post by Jim »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:46 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:58 pm Wouldn’t the proposed door policies run afoul of local ordinances? I’ve looked at our states regs concerning doors, and they are specific, with all kinds of caveats for the various types of buildings. I imagine each state has their own in the building codes.
I believe you are correct. Didn't some districts get in hot water for using chains and padlocks on exterior doors? (that's a few decades ago) == fire code and all.
Joe Clark! :D
raison de arizona

When do the parents of a ten year old lost to preventable gun violence stop grieving? Because only once they stop grieving, will the police explain themselves.
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: NEW: A CNN reporter just confronted the Uvalde School District Police Chief to ask why they are refusing to cooperate with the investigation into their response— the police chief said they will only explain themselves to the parents once “the families quit grieving.”
ETA article:
Edit:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:25 pm When do the parents of a ten year old lost to preventable gun violence stop grieving? Because only once they stop grieving, will the police explain themselves.
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: NEW: A CNN reporter just confronted the Uvalde School District Police Chief to ask why they are refusing to cooperate with the investigation into their response— the police chief said they will only explain themselves to the parents once “the families quit grieving.”
When I first read that elsewhere, "to the parents once “the families quit grieving.”" -- I was stunned. smh :nope:
Jim

Post by Jim »

In other words, they screwed up and will never face the consequences of their lack of action.

A decade later and Sandy Hook parents are still grieving their lost ones...with every new reminder.
raison de arizona

Lauren Windsor @lawindsor wrote: NEW: TX Republican is pushing for federal funding for arming teachers, will fight for Trump gun agenda if GOP wins House.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”