School related violence

neeneko

Re: School related violence

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:53 pm One (of many) things that bug me about the reporting on Uvalde is they keep saying the School Chief told the other cops to stand down because he believed the active shooting was over. Even IF that was true, what would be the reasoning behind just leaving the shooter alone? Did he have some sort of plan to go in eventually? Was he going to wait until the shooter died of hunger? Was he planning to just contain the shooter until.....something?

Saying he thought the active shooting was over just doesn't make sense to me.
Well, police do deal with barricaded shooters. If he was in an empty room, or a room with hostages, waiting them out and brining in a negotiator makes sense.

Hindsight is always perfect, and it sounds like there were communication breakdowns here where the people on the ground thought that the situation was stable and thus there was time to talk him down or go in with overwhelming force. Which, to be honest, seems to be one of the big problems in law enforcement that leads to a lot of shooting.... 911 knowing things but the officer at the scene not.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We have had several incidents of middle school fights this past semester. Teachers got injured trying to break them up.

Some middle school students are larger than their teachers. In a physical confrontation armed teachers would be at risk of a student taking their gun.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Yeah, the pro-gun crowd tends to really downplay how often gun violence is mostly due to a conflict escalating and someone happening to have a gun or can quickly get one from someone/somewhere else. The bulk of the time when you read about a 'party' that had a shooting at it, it wasn't someone going there with the intent to shoot people, it was multiple people at the party getting into some kind of fight and, well, choosing between losing the fight or escalating.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Another article that is hard to read.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I am coming around to this point of view no matter how reluctant I would be to view those photos.

The photos of the memorials tend to sanitize things.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

There was a reason why the DOD wanted only preapproved jouralists embedded in the campaigns in Iraq and onward: don't show the dirty side.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:14 pm I am coming around to this point of view no matter how reluctant I would be to view those photos.

The photos of the memorials tend to sanitize things.
I really do not think it would help. There is this idea that if only the right 'knew the human cost' or that the 'do not care about children', but I do not think either hold much water since the right believe they have the solution to stopping these problems (more guns) and giving them emotionally charged evidence of how bad things are just reenforces their idea that their solutions need to be implemented rather than the ones the left proposes that will 'do no good'.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw somewhere that two of the parents of children killed last Tuesday were considering open caskets, but I can't remember where I saw it, and I only saw that once. It's what Emmet Till's mother did.

I can understand both the desire to do it and the horror for the family of doing it. Maybe, at the least, they could show the crime scenes without the bodies.

:crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:04 pm I saw somewhere that two of the parents of children killed last Tuesday were considering open caskets, but I can't remember where I saw it, and I only saw that once. It's what Emmet Till's mother did.

I can understand both the desire to do it and the horror for the family of doing it. Maybe, at the least, they could show the crime scenes without the bodies.

I’ve seen Shaun King saying that, but not anywhere else. Doesn’t mean it isn’t true, but his info is generally suspect. FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:04 pm I saw somewhere that two of the parents of children killed last Tuesday were considering open caskets, but I can't remember where I saw it, and I only saw that once. It's what Emmet Till's mother did.

I’ve seen Shaun King saying that, but not anywhere else. Doesn’t mean it isn’t true, but his info is generally suspect. FWIW.
Thanks. I have absolutely no idea where I saw it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

On Deadline WH, they were talking about an article stating that some surviving kids were going facial reconstructive surgery. I came in late, so unclear if WAPO, NYT or other outlet..
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Uvalde Police Department and the Uvalde ISD police force are no longer cooperating with the
@TxDPS
investigation into the massacre at Robb Elementary and the state’s review of police response, multiple law enforcement sources told
@ABC

w/
@JoshMargolin
raison de arizona

That is an option? WTF even?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

FUCK those people.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

The Uvalde Police Department and the Uvalde ISD police force are no longer cooperating with the @TxDPS
investigation into the massacre at Robb Elementary and the state’s review of police response
Texas. I so wanna move there. :? :cantlook: FREEDUMBS!

Lawyer up, bitches.
raison de arizona

Interesting that this comes on the back of another lie revealed (lawyer for teacher states the back door was NOT left open, she heard the wreck and whatnot and closed and locked door.)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Will they not cooperate with the DOJ?
raison de arizona

Hey, I don't care if they consent or not, as long as they get tased.
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 3.42.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 3.42.06 PM.png (75.78 KiB) Viewed 530 times
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Heh. I loved one comment : Even the cops know not to talk to the cops.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

neeneko wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:34 pm Heh. I loved one comment : Even the cops know not to talk to the cops.
also this.
FUHgBYRXoAEW1td.jpeg
FUHgBYRXoAEW1td.jpeg (37.93 KiB) Viewed 531 times
ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uvald ... a18c6dd63c
The Uvalde school district police department chief, Pete Arredondo, has not responded to the Texas Rangers in two days for a followup interview from his initial statement immediately after the mass shooting, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman told the American-Statesman Tuesday.
Now is it just the school district police chief not cooperating? I am so :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”