Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Nostalgia

pjhimself

Nostalgia

Post by pjhimself »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: Nostalgia

Post by keith »

Many of those things still exist - as strong as ever.

Woolworth's may not be the archetypal 'Five and Dime' anymore, but it is the Number One grocery store chain in Australia.

Vinyl records never quite went away, and are now expanding, year on year again. 45rpm 7 inch singles are a very small niche market, but 45rpm 12 inch albums are a BIG DEAL and keen 'audiophiles' are falling over themselves to snap up releases from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Speakers Corner, Analogue Productions, and others - and spending big bucks to do so. Even casual record collectors are scouring opshops and record stores, both online and brick and mortar, are flourishing.

Cars, as far as I know, still have pushbutton radios. I know mine does and its pretty new. I suppose there are some that only have a computer screen these days, but that is not all of them.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I head back to KC, I have to get a flat burger and fountain cherry Pepsi from ...
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:44 am Cars, as far as I know, still have pushbutton radios. I know mine does and its pretty new. I suppose there are some that only have a computer screen these days, but that is not all of them.
I suppose my car can be referred to as having a push-button radio, but those buttons are on the steering wheel. The main radio itself is a touch screen, and there are some voice-activated controls as well, but I just end up swearing at it when it is slow or does not understand (it is an older version so does not have Google Assistant or Android Auto). The mute is also a button in the physical volume control.

Nowadays, you have to worry about pushing/saying the wrong thing, and instead of changing the channel, your car goes into reverse or the tailgate opens. In town, I stick to WFMT (public radio with Classical music) so I save myself the danger of touching that dial and opening my moonroof in a rainstorm.
101010 :towel:
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

First to sell a billion burgers (“sliders” which were five cents each back when):

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

keith

Post by keith »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
northland10 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 am
keith wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:44 am Cars, as far as I know, still have pushbutton radios. I know mine does and its pretty new. I suppose there are some that only have a computer screen these days, but that is not all of them.
I suppose my car can be referred to as having a push-button radio, but those buttons are on the steering wheel. The main radio itself is a touch screen, and there are some voice-activated controls as well, but I just end up swearing at it when it is slow or does not understand (it is an older version so does not have Google Assistant or Android Auto). The mute is also a button in the physical volume control.

Nowadays, you have to worry about pushing/saying the wrong thing, and instead of changing the channel, your car goes into reverse or the tailgate opens. In town, I stick to WFMT (public radio with Classical music) so I save myself the danger of touching that dial and opening my moonroof in a rainstorm.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

keith wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:44 am :snippity:
Cars, as far as I know, still have pushbutton radios. I know mine does and its pretty new. I suppose there are some that only have a computer screen these days, but that is not all of them.
My little Subaru Impreza did but then I got hit by a blue work truck who totaled it. So I got a new 2021 Outback ( that I love but...) this is what's where the buttons use to be. Holy shit! I still have to pull over to figure shit out!
Subaru 1.jpg
Subaru 1.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
You have to agree or it stays right there, and then it goes here...
Subaru 2.jpg
Subaru 2.jpg (82.62 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
:faint:

Edit to add... When you turn the car off it gives you a message to "Check the Back Seat" just in case you forget a grandkid or groceries or something.. :oldlady:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I'm expecting that my system will eventually say "get your eyes on the road" if I even glance at it to which I will respond by habit, "sorry mom." At least I do avoid the danger of launching a cassette tape from the player where it promptly lands under my feet.

I remember my dad mentioning how my grandmother had issues with push-button transmissions.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We had a PontiacPlymouth Station Wagon with a push button transmission. We had to get a new car after the neighbor kids and I climbed into the unlocked ‘48 Dodge coupe to pretend we were going on a trip. Gordie was “driving” and he pushed the cigarette lighter in to light the smoke he stole from his dad. We were, like, 9 years old and quite inattentive. No one noticed that the lighter never popped back up until smoke began to pour out from under the hood.

I ran inside to tell someone. Dad was on the phone with his boss, Gov Brown.

“Dad, Dad…”
Dad covered the receiver with his hand and hissed “I’m on the phone. Don’t interrupt” and resumed the conversation. .
“But, Dad…”
He glared at me and hissed again. “This had better be important!”
“Dad, the car’s on fire!”
“ Shit! Why didn’t you say so!”

He was ready for a new one, anyway. 🙃
keith

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:41 pm I'm expecting that my system will eventually say "get your eyes on the road" if I even glance at it to which I will respond by habit, "sorry mom." At least I do avoid the danger of launching a cassette tape from the player where it promptly lands under my feet.

I remember my dad mentioning how my grandmother had issues with push-button transmissions.
My mother got a Chrysler after Dad died (he would never have let her have a Chrysler - it was Pontiacs or Buicks for him). Anyway that Chrysler used to drive me crazy.

When you stick the key in the ignition a disembodied voice says, "Your Oil Pressure is Low".

Oh really? I wonder why that could be. I don't suppose it has anything to do with the fact that the EFFING ENGINE IS NOT TURNED ON YET you bubble headed booby!
keith

Post by keith »

I think the number one thing I really miss is Hires Root Beer.
(Wikipedia)

Hires Root Beer is a root beer marketed by Keurig Dr Pepper. Introduced in 1876, it is (WAS?) the longest continuously made soft drink in the United States.

Hires Root Beer was created by Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, pharmacist Charles Elmer Hires. The official story is that Hires first tasted root beer, a traditional American beverage dating back to the colonial era, while on his honeymoon in 1875. However, historical accounts vary and the actual time and place of the discovery may never be known. By 1876, Hires had developed his own recipe and was marketing 25-cent packets of powder which each yielded five US gallons (19 l) of root beer. At Philadelphia's Centennial Exposition in 1876, he cultivated new customers by giving away free glasses of root beer. Hires marketed it as a solid concentrate of 16 wild roots and berries. It claimed to purify the blood and make rosy cheeks. In 1884, he began producing a liquid extract and a syrup for use in soda fountains, and was soon shipping root beer in kegs and producing a special fountain dispenser called the "Hires Automatic Munimaker." In 1890, the Charles E. Hires Company incorporated and began supplying Hires root beer in small bottles claiming over a million bottles sold by 1891.
Stuff Nobody Cares About: Killing A Product – The Demise of Hires Root Beer

Thank goodness Vernor's Ginger Ale is still available - and I can still (sometimes) get it in Australia!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I miss Charleston Chews, the candy bar. Put em in the freezer on a hot summer day then take them outside, slam them against the sidewalk and eat the frozen pieces.

They were also delicious at room temp.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

When going to scout camp as a kid, I ate way too many of those. I blame the trading post because they had them.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I remember Hires root beer. We rarely had pop in the house, but if we did, it was likely to be that.

My dad occasionally made his own root beer. He made it one summer when we went away, and we came home to find bottles of it exploded in the basement.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I miss Almond Smash. Anyone remember that?

d849d4e95d95c9dfd57ad19c230b95bc.jpg
d849d4e95d95c9dfd57ad19c230b95bc.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

pjhimself wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 am First to sell a billion burgers (“sliders” which were five cents each back when):

I miss hammering about 2 dozen of these down at 3am after a night of Rocky Horror Picture Show late night movie viewing.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

KFC Chicken Nuggets...they were Kong...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:49 pm
pjhimself wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 am First to sell a billion burgers (“sliders” which were five cents each back when):

I miss hammering about 2 dozen of these down at 3am after a night of Rocky Horror Picture Show late night movie viewing.
Never made 2 dozen but 12 and a quart of beer after late night hockey practice (no pickle 3X onions) was de rigueur to properly hydrate and rebalance electrolytes. They cost 10 or 12 cents each (early '60s) but they were cheaper by the dozen iirc.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »