2020 GOP Rattled by Trump

Slim Cognito

Re: 2020 GOP Rattled by Trump

Post by Slim Cognito »

My new next door neighbors are racists asshats who took down Old Glory to fly a trump 2020 flag last winter. Every six weeks or so it would come down for a few days and then go back up, presumably because the cheap nylon material couldn't take the harsh Florida sun so a new one had to be procured.

Then, over Memorial Day weekend, Old Glory went back up. Hubs, new neighbor from Seattle and I discussed whether or not it was holiday-related and only temporary. We expected the trump flag to reappear. It didn't.

Then they bought a fifth wheel and had to remove the flag pole entirely to make room for the RV in the driveway. It has since found a home at a local storage facility and we're waiting to see which flag goes up. It's been over a week and, so far, no flag.

If these drunken, hateful bigots* can become disillusioned with trump, anyone can.

(and, yes, I realize not flying his flag doesn't equate to not voting for him)

*Many, many months ago I was weeding my backyard, new neighbor was doing something in his backyard (we have a privacy fence separating us) and Hispanic neighbors behind us were building something in their backyard, naturally speaking Spanish. New guy actually had the nerve to shout at them "Illegal aliens!" I haven't spoken to him since. I waved once bc he waved first but I'm still pissed.

And, yes, they are drunks, loud, annoying drunks who like to have pool parties, late at night.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie »

Yahoo News: Trump in 'fragile' mood and may drop out of 2020 race if poll numbers don't improve, GOP insiders

Donald Trump may drop out of the 2020 presidential race if he believes he has no chance of winning, a Republican Party operative reportedly told Fox News.

The claim comes in a report in the president’s favourite news outlet that cites a number of GOP insiders who are concerned about Mr Trump’s re-election prospects amid abysmal polling numbers.

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, currently holds an average lead of nine points over the incumbent, according to a tracker of 2020 polls by RealClearPolitics.

Crucially, Mr Trump has lost support from older white voters — typically a bedrock of support for the Republican Party and a group that was crucial to his narrow 2016 victory. Mr Trump is also trailing the former vice president in almost all the swing states.

“It’s too early, but if the polls continue to worsen, you can see a scenario where he drops out,” one anonymous GOP operative told Fox News.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Like all bullies, he's a chicken at heart. His dropping out would not surprise me. If the GOP is rattled by him now, just wait until he does that.

He does seem lately to be just phoning it in.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Most likely his people planted that story to try and get a rise out of him and maybe get him to listen to their advice. The Schlapps and Chris Christie were going around this weekend saying he will lose if he keeps doing what he's been doing. But 49% strong disapproval, he needs experts to help him come back from that, and all the experts are organizing against him. He gets Brad, Jared and Jason Miller instead.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

trump listen to an expert? YGBSM.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Trump won't drop out. His ego won't let him. He doesn't want that to be his legacy.

Trump is in it for the adoration and power. He's not going to give that up. As long as he is President, he can have his ego rallies and chat whenever he wants to other world leaders and snap his fingers and watch the Republicans jump.

When Trump loses the election, he'll just claim the election was rigged. And he'll use the last 2½ months of his term for his own benefit. He will issue innumerable pardons. Hopefully the House and Senate will both be getting Democratic majorities, but that just means that Trump + a Republican Senate will do as much damage as possible before their terms are up.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

:yeah:

Well said, MN-Skeptic! IF the OSG loses, his spawn will ratchet up Trump TV on November 4 'cause grifters gotta grift.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, what MN-Skeptic said. He'll NEVER drop out. Stupid story.
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He could be THREATENING to drop out to get his own way about something or other. Same as he threatened not to go on stage in Tulsa..
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I'm with Skeptic on this. And at this point, him dropping out might actually hurt Congressional Republicans even more by causing his base (which is also now their base) to become discouraged and not bother showing up in November. It's the same reason I'm not particularly worried about the Lincoln Project guys going back to doing dark arts for the GOP in 2021. People keep thinking the Republican Party is going back to the status quo ante Trumpum. But the party has made its bed and turned its back on all of its previous ideological commitment except implicit white supremacy.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

He won't quit. There's too many terrible secrets still hidden. Can't risk a Biden administration investigating. If/when he does lose, I half expect the West Wing to suspiciously go up in flames.
ImageImageImage x4

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I’ve got another take on it. I think his ego is so fragile that if/when he realizes he might lose that he’ll drop out for ‘health reasons’. I honestly don’t think he could bear the thought of losing. More than anything else, his obsession with Obama won’t,
I believe, allow him to not equal that important second term and find himself ‘less than’. By dropping out he can convince himself that he’s not that horror of horrors, a loser, but merely had the bad luck to be unable to continue.

I also think his next move will be to start a Trump TV channel and show his detractors at Fox that he’s the winner after all.
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sunrise wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 am
I’ve got another take on it. I think his ego is so fragile that if/when he realizes he might lose that he’ll drop out for ‘health reasons’. I honestly don’t think he could bear the thought of losing. More than anything else, his obsession with Obama won’t,
I believe, allow him to not equal that important second term and find himself ‘less than’. By dropping out he can convince himself that he’s not that horror of horrors, a loser, but merely had the bad luck to be unable to continue.

I also think his next move will be to start a Trump TV channel and show his detractors at Fox that he’s the winner after all.
I also think this is a possibility.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Conversely, remember Trump is too much of a coward to resign directly. Remember Cohen said Trump worked by "signals." What I actually think is happening is that Trump is trying to make Pense and the cabinet 25th amendment him out, because then he can sit back and pretend to himself that he could TOTALLY have won if those assholes had not stabbed him in the back.

The problem is that he has so cowed the Cabinet and filled it with dumb loyalists that they wont do it. And he cant TELL them to do it because then that's the same as running away. Under normal circumstances he would probably have already quit and pretend he actually won, like he did in Atlantic City, but now he cant.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

The bone spurs worked once. Why not give them another try?

:violin:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sunrise wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 am

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. 'Health' issues, pardons everyone he can, has Pence pardon him, and then scurries off to a place where there's no extradition treaty with the United States.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Yeah, it's feeling like 25A to me :like:
Suranis wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 pm
Conversely, remember Trump is too much of a coward to resign directly. Remember Cohen said Trump worked by "signals." What I actually think is happening is that Trump is trying to make Pense and the cabinet 25th amendment him out, because then he can sit back and pretend to himself that he could TOTALLY have won if those assholes had not stabbed him in the back.

The problem is that he has so cowed the Cabinet and filled it with dumb loyalists that they wont do it. And he cant TELL them to do it because then that's the same as running away. Under normal circumstances he would probably have already quit and pretend he actually won, like he did in Atlantic City, but now he cant.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Suranis wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 pm

The 25th Amendment is only temporary anyway, and requires 2/3rds of both the House and the Senate to prevent the President from resuming the office if he informs them in writing that he believes he is capable of carrying out his duties. It's actually a higher bar than impeachment, and basically the only way a President could be permanently removed from office by that means is if the President is in a persistent vegetative state or something like that.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

IMPOTUS is in a total bubble, he may have no idea. Sycophants everywhere. Watching OAN and Fox News. Reading Gateway Pundit. There are still congresspeople and local GOP leaders who think he's going to win in a landslide. If that's all he's seeing, must be like Disney World, everybody agrees and two scoops.
COOK POLITICAL REPORT’S DAVE WASSERMAN (@redistrict): “Fact: when President Trump took office in January 2017, there were 241 Republicans in the House. Since then, 115 (48%) have either retired, resigned, been defeated or are retiring in 2020.”
:lol:
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Some of the GOP incubents are losing their primaries to Q nuts.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Turtle wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 am
Yup. That seat in Western CO instantly went from Likely R to Lean R last night. And Trump is congratulating the winner (a QAnon nutter), hoping no one remembers he endorsed the loser - who also happened to be Trump's Colorado co-chair.
All this thinking about Colorado is reminding me of how desperately I wish Mrs. FRP and I could relocate full-time to the Summit County vicinity. :daydream:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Turtle wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 am
Well, that isn't exactly less terrifying . . .

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Daniel W. Drezner: It’s starting to fall apart

Trump is not even leading the GOP at this point

By conventional standards, President Trump is not a very good politician. His legislative accomplishments as president have been meager and his international bargaining has been poor. But political scientists would acknowledge one area in which Trump has been adroit: He has colonized the Republican Party in every important way imaginable. ...

Trump’s iron control over his party has enabled him to be a somewhat stronger president than devotees of Richard E. Neustadt would otherwise expect. Trump has been eager to expand executive branch powers and ignore Congress. He has declared dubious emergencies and run roughshod over laws such as the Administrative Procedure Act, counting on his appointed judges and Republican members of Congress to run interference for him. Sometimes this does not work; much of the time, however, it does.

The key is the GOP’s continuing fealty to Trump. But the poll numbers are the poll numbers, and they are bad for the 45th president. They show rising disapproval of the president, growing GOP dissatisfaction with the direction of the country and Trump falling further behind Joe Biden. It is therefore unsurprising that some cracks are forming in the edifice.

GOP strategists are grumbling to the Washington Examiner’s W. James Antle III about Trump’s repeated Twitter own-goals, for example. One GOP strategist told Antle, “[Trump’s] instincts and mistakes on Twitter have often brought him off message and made him often look unfocused and small, like a very average politician on Twitter instead of the president of the United States.”

But that is small potatoes compared with some other areas where senior members of the GOP are starting to push back on president Trump. There is the wearing of masks, for example. In a Wall Street Journal interview earlier in June, Trump suggested that some Americans were not wearing masks for any health reason but rather to register disapproval of him.

If that is true, then an awful lot of Republicans disapprove of Trump. According to the Wall Street Journal’s Catherine Lucey, “A growing chorus of Republican officeholders and conservative media figures are calling for people to wear masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus ... with some urging President Trump to publicly wear one as cases soar around the country.” ...

There is a snowball effect to some of this. The more that Republicans dissent from Trump, the weaker he looks politically. The weaker he looks politically, the more Republicans might dissent from him to get ahead of bad news.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Alex Kaplan
@AlKapDC
UPDATE: Here's the now 9 QAnon-supporting congressional candidates who have now made it to November by state:

-CO: Lauren Boebert
-CA: Mike Cargile, Erin Cruz, Alison Hayden, Buzz Patterson
-OR: Jo Rae Perkins
-GA: Angela Stanton-King
-OH: Ron Weber
-TX: Johnny Teague

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

And we thought the Tea Party were next to impossible to deal with. I guess the good news is there are "only" 9 of them, and they may not all win. 2010 was a nightmare and a disaster for this country, only to be eclipsed by the nightmare of 2016.

The good news is that some of the people who were backed by Trump lost their primaries. That doesn't bode well for him.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Presidential Election”