Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Jacob Wohl

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
bob

Jacob Wohl

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am The article I read about Wohl's sentence said that he has been charged in New York for the same calls.

If true, can he argue double jeopardy, if he is being charged twice for the same acts?

I would presume that NY is after him because he violated their laws about voter suppression. I know that the courts have held that being charged under federal law for the same act that one is convicted of under state law, does not constitute double jeopardy. Would the same rationale apply to two states charging someone for the same act?
I would generally say different sovereigns and different acts: each state can police separate crimes that occurred in separate jurisdictions.

But I acknowledge New York's Double Jeopardy law may be .... different.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Jacob Wohl

Post by Gregg »

noblepa wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am The article I read about Wohl's sentence said that he has been charged in New York for the same calls.

If true, can he argue double jeopardy, if he is being charged twice for the same acts?

I would presume that NY is after him because he violated their laws about voter suppression. I know that the courts have held that being charged under federal law for the same act that one is convicted of under state law, does not constitute double jeopardy. Would the same rationale apply to two states charging someone for the same act?
No, I wouldn't think so.

He was charged in Ohio only for the calls that went to people in Ohio, and charging him in New York is for the calls made to people there. It's no different than charging someone for the banks they robbed in both states is it?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Jacob Wohl

Post by RTH10260 »

Right-wing hoaxers’ robocalls targeting Black voters violated Voting Rights Act and KKK Act, federal judge rules

ADAM KLASFELD
Mar 8th, 2023, 4:18 pm

Right-wing activists Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman’s robocalls targeting Black voters violated the Voting Rights Act and Ku Klux Klan Act — and the question isn’t close enough to require a jury, a federal judge ruled.

“The Court recognizes that the free exchange of ideas on issues of public concern and the ability to engage in robust political discussion constitute the foundations of a democratic society,” Senior U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero wrote in a 111-page order on Wednesday.

Marrero nonetheless found that the evidence “establishes that the neighborhoods that Defendants targeted were not accidental or random,” finding that a reasonable jury couldn’t escape the conclusion that the pair wanted to “deny the right to vote specifically to Black voters.”

“Goofballs and political hucksters”

The ruling spells victory without a trial for The National Coalition on Black Civic Participation (NCBCP), a civil rights group that sued Wohl and Burkman in the Southern District of New York before the 2020 presidential election.

New York Attorney General Letitia James, who joined the lawsuit, said in a statement on Wednesday saying:

“Your vote is your voice, and I am proud that today the court ruled in our favor to uphold the most important cornerstone of our democracy. Wohl and Burkman engaged in a disgraceful campaign to intimidate Black voters, using threats and lies to keep them from making their voices heard in an attempt to secure the election for their preferred presidential candidate. I will always stand fierce in defense of New Yorkers’ right to vote, and anyone who attempts to take away that right will be met with the full force of the law.”

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/r ... dge-rules/
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Jacob Wohl

Post by Luke »

The ruling is a great read, 111 pages: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ohl-ruling

Defending this must have cost Jacob and Jack a fortune.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Jacob Wohl

Post by neonzx »

Does anyone have the video of Jacob sprinting away from the crowd in D.C. ?
Like a scared rabbit.. I guess the roids did not make him a man.
bob

Jacob Wohl

Post by bob »

CBS: California man guilty of killing 3 after doorbell prank:
A Southern California man accused of killing three teenage boys by intentionally ramming their car after they played a doorbell-ringing prank on him was found guilty Friday of murder.

Chandra's attorney, David Wohl, did not immediately return a request for comment Friday.
No aspersions on Wohl for representing his client; I'm more curious why this defendant thought Wohl would be a good choice.
Image ImageImage
neonzx

Jacob Wohl

Post by neonzx »

I guess he should have kept to hanging out at hipster coffee shops. :mrgreen:

FCC officially fines Jacob Wohl $5 million for robocall scheme
If Wohl doesn't pay, it will be passed along to the Justice Department.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/jacob-wo ... 5-million/
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) officially fined right-wing influencer Jacob Wohl $5 million. At the time it was proposed, it was the largest amount ever under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).

Wohl, along with his partner Jack Burkman, used robocalls to attempt to convince people of color that they could be arrested if they voted by mail in the 2020 presidential election. Voting by mail was a popular option in that election, as the country was still being ravaged by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The FCC’s decision unanimously agreed to the $5,134,500 amount.

The calls, which were directed at voters in Ohio, a swing state, said that “personal information” could be put in a public database if people voted by mail, “used by police departments to track down old warrants.”

The duo also claimed debt collectors would have access to the information, all in an attempt to help swing the state toward former President Donald Trump, as voters of color were more likely to break for President Joe Biden.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Jacob Wohl

Post by Luke »

Impressive! But concerned about the donut budget for their next press conference.

Here's the 18-page FORFEITURE ORDER: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-44A1.pdf

Someone on Twitter is saying the vast majority of these fines are never paid. Wouldn't they be collected by the treasury ala Taitz? The last few pages of the Order are all about payment.

53. Payment of the forfeiture shall be made in the manner provided for in section 1.80 of the Commission’s rules within thirty (30) calendar days after the release of this Forfeiture Order. John M. Burkman, Jacob Alexander Wohl, and J.M. Burkman and Associates LLC shall send electronic notification of payment to Lisa Ford, Enforcement Bureau, Federal Communications Commission, at lisa.ford@fcc.gov on the date said payment is made. If the forfeiture is not paid within the period specified, the case may be referred to the U.S. Department of Justice for enforcement of the forfeiture pursuant to section 504(a) of the Act.121.

More on the decision with linkz:

$5M is a LOT of OnlyFans memberships.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Jacob Wohl

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Jacob Wohl

Post by Azastan »

So WHO is RIGGING elections and performing ELECTION INTERFERENCE?
Luke

Jacob Wohl

Post by Luke »

In the Twitter thread above, someone posted info on Jacob's Riverside case, which seems to keep getting postponed. Details and documents are in the thread.

Jack Burkman is (of course, thanks Elon) back on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jack_Burkman/with_replies. He hasn't commented on his fine. Jacob is still banned (but probably using socks). Jacob hasn't commented on his Telegram. There's a "Jacob Wohl Chat" Telegram channel which is active: https://t.me/JacobWohlChat. Looks like his fans don't know about the judgment yet.
Dr. Ken

Jacob Wohl

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Jacob Wohl

Post by Flatpoint High »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 pm
nothing about this on his telegram, but he did "go after" Nikki
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx

Jacob Wohl

Post by neonzx »

:popcorn:

Jack Burkman is getting disbarred.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindu ... 024-01-30/

DC lawyer to give up license following voting robocall conviction
Jan 30 (Reuters) - Washington lawyer and Republican operative Jack Burkman is poised, opens new tab to lose his law license after pleading guilty to telecommunications fraud in Ohio.
The D.C. Board on Professional Responsibility said Tuesday that Burkman earlier this month consented to disbarment. It recommended the sanction to the D.C. Court of Appeals, which has final say on disciplinary measures.
Burkman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Burkman, the founder of lobbying firm Burkman & Associates, and his associate, Jacob Wohl, pleaded guilty in October 2022 to telecommunications fraud after using robocalls to intimidate people from voting by mail during the 2020 U.S. presidential election. They were sentenced to two years of probation, fined each $2,500, and work 500 hours of community service. :snippity:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Jacob Wohl

Post by northland10 »

For completeness, the DC Board of Professional Responsibilities's recommendation to the DC Court of Appeals for disbarment, on consent (of Burkman).

https://www.dcbar.org/ServeFile/GetDisc ... 3BD061.pdf
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Jacob Wohl

Post by Flatpoint High »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:15 pm For completeness, the DC Board of Professional Responsibilities's recommendation to the DC Court of Appeals for disbarment, on consent (of Burkman).

https://www.dcbar.org/ServeFile/GetDisc ... 3BD061.pdf
there shall be whining over at Kohl's telegram
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Volkonski
Verified:

Jacob Wohl

Post by Volkonski »

Marine Vet Accuses Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl of Smear Job in $11M Lawsuit

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marine-ve ... etter%20AM
In the fetid swamp of far-right politics, two names are infamous for having unleashed a torrent of particularly ludicrous stunts, lies, and scams.

Among other things, Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman have lobbed phony sexual misconduct claims at former FBI Director and Trump-era Special Counsel Robert Mueller, recruited a young Trump supporter to smear then-presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg as a rapist, and floated a preposterous tale that Sen. Elizabeth Warren was carrying on a kinky, BDSM-imbued extramarital affair with a 24-year-old soldier later found to have exaggerated his service record. In 2022, the hapless Wohl and Burkman pleaded guilty to felony charges that they targeted African-American voters with illegal robocalls to deter them from voting, and were fined more than $5 million.

Now, one of the pair’s targets is fighting back. A Marine veteran and attorney claims his life fell apart after Wohl and Burkman falsely tarred him in a 2021 video as a child sex predator, according to an $11 million racketeering lawsuit obtained by The Daily Beast.

In the aftermath, the unidentified Maryland man was let go from his law firm, lost a paid internship at Johns Hopkins University, was thrown out by his landlord, and forced him into bankruptcy, the lawsuit states. “John Doe” contends in the suit that Wohl and his co-defendant, soon-to-be-disbarred lawyer Jack Burkman, caused “irreparable harm” by laying waste to his reputation, wrecking his ability to earn a living, and turning him into a “critical casualty” of their “ongoing, illegal scheme.”

Emails and voicemails left for Wohl on Monday seeking comment went unanswered. Burkman responded to The Daily Beast’s request for comment with a phone call, but it soon became apparent that he had meant to dial someone else. Once he realized his mistake, the line abruptly disconnected. Burkman followed up with an email, saying, “Sorry, phone died, call you back thanks!” (He never called back.)

Doe’s attorney, John Flood, did not respond to multiple requests for comment. A Johns Hopkins spokesperson did not return a message sent late Monday afternoon.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Other weirdos”