Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Space: The Final Frontier William Shatner BlueOrigin SpaceX

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Space: The Final Frontier William Shatner BlueOrigin SpaceX

Post by Luke »

This is so amazing!! A happy topic. Watch Shatner's remarks embedded in the ABC News tweet --

OrlyLicious @Orly_licious
Replying to @WilliamShatner
We cried hearing your remarks too, Mr. Shatner, incredible journey! It's amazing more people will be able to experience The Final Frontier thanks to
@JeffBezos and #BlueOrigin. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this magnificent accomplishment! Flag of United States

Quote Tweet
ABC News @ABC 42m
"I hope I never recover from this."

William Shatner reflects on his experience after landing back on Earth, calling the journey to space "the most profound experience I can imagine." https://abcn.ws/3iWv1UI

Emailed it to my 88-year-old Dad... there's a site called Twitter Downloader to download videos. So you just go to https://twittervideodownloader.com and put in the link (broke it, just take the space out after //) https:// twitter.com/ABC/status/1448329743351357445?s=20 and then you can pick the size from three choices. The 540.mp4 can be attached in an email (he doesn't do Twitter). What a marvelous accomplishment and inspiration that a 90-year-old can go to space! Happy :(
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Space: The Final Frontier BlueOrigin SpaceX

Post by Foggy »

In fairness, now we have to send Patrick Stewart. :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Re: Space: The Final Frontier BlueOrigin SpaceX

Post by Kendra »

That was so cool, and such beautiful words from Shatner. Bravo. Love the memes I've been seeing on FB.
Attachments
shatner2.jpg
shatner2.jpg (86.34 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
shatner3.jpg
shatner3.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
245105148_2942234422696494_163398477817652430_n.jpg
245105148_2942234422696494_163398477817652430_n.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
Suranis

Re: Space: The Final Frontier William Shatner BlueOrigin SpaceX

Post by Suranis »

Honestly, they should leave him up there. Or his wig.
Hic sunt dracones
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Cool! Just saw there's a live stream of the whole mission:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I cried.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess this is a American Dream come true :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm so relieved. I have to admit, I was a little worried about a 90 yo man going to space, although Shatner looks great.

All is good.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:33 pm I'm so relieved. I have to admit, I was a little worried about a 90 yo man going to space, although Shatner looks great.

All is good.
Bill Shatner is still out there riding horses.

This movie clip shows him riding his own horse. Watch him as he circles around Picard and stops. Then he moves his horse closer to Picard. Can you even see him giving cues? Patrick Stewart didn't know how to ride horses, but Bill Shatner sure does.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I got a picture taken with him at a Comicon a few years ago. He was very gracious and I have to say the hair looked great.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:23 pm I guess this is a American Dream come true :thumbsup:
But...but....he's Canadian... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:53 pm I got a picture taken with him at a Comicon a few years ago. He was very gracious and I have to say the hair looked great.
It should, since it's fake :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

I know many people are into this story but with all of the serious threats we face today this strikes me as frivolous rich people stuff. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I don’t get it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

filly wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:11 pm I know many people are into this story but with all of the serious threats we face today this strikes me as frivolous rich people stuff. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I don’t get it.
Millions of Star Trek fans who dream about a better future and about the wonders of being in space were with Shatner today. I don't particularly like the man, but what he represents has been hugely important in my life. This was an incredibly symbolic moment.

As for the frivolity point, both can be true.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'm not a.Star Trek or Shattner fan at all. But as I watched and listened to his deeply moving expressions about what it felt like and meant to him, it brought me to tears.

Some negative responses remind me that we can care about something we find moving and meaningful, and still care about other things as well.
tek

Post by tek »

I was moved (and, honestly, surprised) by Shatner's words.

But we do need to crosspost this from the Hijack thread
Honestly, what with Shatner going into space in a giant dildo, I increasingly begin to suspect I've woken up in some kind of Mel Brooks movie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

filly wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:11 pm I know many people are into this story but with all of the serious threats we face today this strikes me as frivolous rich people stuff. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I don’t get it.
Shatner is just the posterboy for a science fiction story turning real within the lifetime of a person. The technological fact is that this space ship is competing in the industrial race to space. Least but not last cause the last administration declared space exploration no longer to be a government issue.
filly

Post by filly »

Thanks for the replies. I get people like Star Trek but an old man getting a thrill from the a flight just isn’t that impressive to me. Chacun a son gout I suppose.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:56 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:53 pm I got a picture taken with him at a Comicon a few years ago. He was very gracious and I have to say the hair looked great.
It should, since it's fake :biggrin:
I worked in theater both as a wardrobe mistress and designer so I know fake hair. This was the good stuff. He's definitely upgraded.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 pm
I worked in theater both as a wardrobe mistress and designer so I know fake hair. This was the good stuff. He's definitely upgraded.
That reminds me of an episode of Night Court where Bull gets a hair piece and it instantly turns him into a ladies' man, the model he choose the "Shatner Turbo 2000"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:57 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 pm
That reminds me of an episode of Night Court where Bull gets a hair piece and it instantly turns him into a ladies' man, the model he choose the "Shatner Turbo 2000"
I can't think of the comedian'/impressionist who did a great Shatner, talking about his "curly poodle hair," but, seriously, that TJ Hooker rug was a crime.

Also, on the topic of Shatner, he wrote a book* called Shatner Rules. Love or hate the guy, the book was a hoot. I laughed out loud.

*He's written a loooooot of books
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

Best, all the red shirts survived.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

woodworker wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:19 pm Best, all the red shirts survived.
Sure they survived the FIRST act. Just wait'll the SECOND act.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

"picks at nit"

Now, if I was offered a chance I would snatch at it so fast your hands would bleed.....however......

Yes, TECHNICALLY, Mr Shatner and the crew fly into space, where "space" is variously defined as an altitude from 65 to 100 km's up.

In reality, it's really just pogo'ing up and down, doesn't achieve orbit, you get an extended period of free fall (not Zero G), greater than on Ye Olde Classic Vomit Comet

https://www.livescience.com/29182-what- ... comet.html

I'm actually surprised that the military in the US haven't co-opted the system as with really minor tweaks you could convert this into a FOBS (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System) fairly easily......(tin foil hat on....Unless they have already....) :tinfoil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractiona ... ent_System

(Retreats to bunker......logs onto RWNJ web sites.....orders "survival seeds", MRE's, iodine pills and ivermectin, realises it can only be delivered through Amazon Prime THE PLOT IS CONFIRMED....) :eek: :lol: :rotflmao:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:59 pm Also, on the topic of Shatner, he wrote a book* called Shatner Rules. Love or hate the guy, the book was a hoot. I laughed out loud.

*He's written a loooooot of books
He has "officially" written a lot of books. I don;t know about the others, but his very successful "Tekwar" series of novels were actually written by the Science Fiction writer Ron Goulart. Who went uncredited, of course. Shatner apparently came up with the idea and the Stories.

I didn't watch or look at this as I have a certain distaste for the man. I hope other people found some meaning and enjoyment from it.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Science”