Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Space: The Final Frontier William Shatner BlueOrigin SpaceX

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Space: The Final Frontier William Shatner BlueOrigin SpaceX

Post by bill_g »

Amazing. Good for Capt Kirk. What a thing to scratch off your bucket list.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

My nit to pick is using the term "outer space." Surely that should be reserved for, you know, space that's further away than "just above earth's atmosphere." :think:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Many of the technological wonders in the Tee Vee series are long since invented. Doors that open when they sense your approach. Computer AIs that talk to you. Heck, our cell phones are far superior to the "communicators" they had in the show.

Still waiting for tractor beams. I think tractor beams are totally cool. :daydreaming:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

roadscholar wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:52 am My nit to pick is using the term "outer space." Surely that should be reserved for, you know, space that's further away than "just above earth's atmosphere." :think:
"NASA, as well as the U.S. Air Force and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), currently consider “space” to start at 50 miles above the Earth — a threshold that Virgin Galactic’s VSS Unity soared past on Sunday. But on July 20, Bezos and his crew intend to fly over the Kármán line, defined as around 62 miles (or 100 kilometers) above the Earth.

The Kármán line is also recognized as the boundary between Earth’s atmosphere and space by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, a Swiss-based governing body and record-keeping organization."

Where does ‘space’ begin? Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin disagree on definition amid Richard Branson’s flight

https://www.news10.com/news/where-does- ... ns-flight/
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

So.. even as a fan of Star Trek, and someone really interested in, well, space.. I actually do not find this all that great of a milestone. So there is a new ultra-exclusive club that few people will ever be a member of, and this one only requires lots of money. So we have gone from 'you have to be really good at science/engineering/etc' to 'you can ether be really good at critical things, or you can have money/fame'. In a way, it makes access to space feel even father away now since it is even less of a meritocracy.

And annoyingly, he isn't even the first person who has both been in space and been on star trek

But maybe I am just grump ^_^
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

China anger after space station forced to move to avoid Elon Musk Starlink satellites
China said its space station deployed prevention collision avoidance control measures in July and October and called on the US to ‘bear responsibility’

Rhoda Kwan in Taipei
Tue 28 Dec 2021 01.17 GMT

Beijing has called on the UN to remind the US to abide by the treaty regulating outer space after space satellites launched by tech tycoon Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX almost collided with its space station twice in the past year.

China said its space station deployed prevention collision avoidance control measures in July and October to avoid colliding with Starlink satellites in a recent report submitted by Beijing to the UN’s Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space earlier this month.

“China wishes to request the secretary general of the United Nations to circulate the above-mentioned information to all states parties to the Outer Space Treaty,” the report submitted by its permanent mission in Vienna read.

It added that state parties must “bear international responsibility” for national activities carried out by both government and non-governmental bodies in space.

Jonathan McDowell, an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, told the Guardian it was “highly unusual” for a country to lodge a complaint through an “informational bulletin”.

SpaceX has launched more than 1,600 satellites into space in a network dubbed Starlink and has received permission from the US Federal Communications Commission to launch up to 12,000 satellites into space.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... satellites
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 pm Still waiting for tractor beams. I think tractor beams are totally cool. :daydreaming:
Tractor_beam.jpg
Tractor_beam.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Eh, nearly on topic. Lemme know if there is a better place.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Russia to withdraw from the International Space Station
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Tesla Owners Silicon Valley @teslaownersSV wrote: "Patents are for the weak" - @elonmusk 👀
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.geekwire.com/2022/william-s ... -to-space/
William Shatner describes ‘overwhelming sadness’ he felt for Earth in his Blue Origin flight to space

In an excerpt of “Boldly Go: Reflections on a Life of Awe and Wonder,” published by Variety last week, the Star Trek actor wrote that everything he expected to feel about going to space was wrong.

I had thought that going into space would be the ultimate catharsis of that connection I had been looking for between all living things—that being up there would be the next beautiful step to understanding the harmony of the universe. In the film “Contact,” when Jodie Foster’s character goes to space and looks out into the heavens, she lets out an astonished whisper, “They should’ve sent a poet.” I had a different experience, because I discovered that the beauty isn’t out there, it’s down here, with all of us. Leaving that behind made my connection to our tiny planet even more profound.

It was among the strongest feelings of grief I have ever encountered. The contrast between the vicious coldness of space and the warm nurturing of Earth below filled me with overwhelming sadness. Every day, we are confronted with the knowledge of further destruction of Earth at our hands: the extinction of animal species, of flora and fauna . . . things that took five billion years to evolve, and suddenly we will never see them again because of the interference of mankind. It filled me with dread. My trip to space was supposed to be a celebration; instead, it felt like a funeral.

In his book, he said he later learned that his feelings were not unique.

“It is called the ‘Overview Effect’ and is not uncommon among astronauts, including Yuri Gagarin, Michael Collins, Sally Ride, and many others,” Shatner wrote. “Essentially, when someone travels to space and views Earth from orbit, a sense of the planet’s fragility takes hold in an ineffable, instinctive manner.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

In a lifetime, I couldn't possibly explore all of the city in which I live - it's too big, and it changes so fast - much less my entire state, my entire country, the world. I can't even get my mind around how enormous this planet is. It's mind-boggling.

So, umm .. yeah. Thinking of it as a tiny, fragile thing is not an experience I've had. But I think I can understand a little.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

Exclusive: Musk’s SpaceX says it can no longer pay for critical satellite services in Ukraine, asks Pentagon to pick up the tab

Since they first started arriving in Ukraine last spring, the Starlink satellite internet terminals made by Elon Musk’s SpaceX have been a vital source of communication for Ukraine’s military, allowing it to fight and stay connected even as cellular phone and internet networks have been destroyed in its war with Russia.

So far roughly 20,000 Starlink satellite units have been donated to Ukraine, with Musk tweeting on Friday the “operation has cost SpaceX $80 million and will exceed $100 million by the end of the year.”

But those charitable contributions could be coming to an end, as SpaceX has warned the Pentagon that it may stop funding the service in Ukraine unless the US military kicks in tens of millions of dollars per month.

Documents obtained by CNN show that last month Musk’s SpaceX sent a letter to the Pentagon saying it can no longer continue to fund the Starlink service as it has. The letter also requested that the Pentagon take over funding for Ukraine’s government and military use of Starlink, which SpaceX claims would cost more than $120 million for the rest of the year and could cost close to $400 million for the next 12 months.

“We are not in a position to further donate terminals to Ukraine, or fund the existing terminals for an indefinite period of time,” SpaceX’s director of government sales wrote to the Pentagon in the September letter.
:snippity:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/13/politics ... index.html
raison de arizona

If you will recall. Musk said that Ukraine should cede the territory Russia has taken, which prompted the row.
The Intellectualist @highbrow_nobrow wrote: 🚨NEW: Elon Musk is threatening to cut Ukraine off from Starlink because a Ukrainian Ambassador was mean to him on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/sta ... 5414879232
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 pm Many of the technological wonders in the Tee Vee series are long since invented. Doors that open when they sense your approach. Computer AIs that talk to you. Heck, our cell phones are far superior to the "communicators" they had in the show.

Still waiting for tractor beams. I think tractor beams are totally cool. :daydreaming:
bluetooth earpieces.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Flatpoint High wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:04 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 pm Many of the technological wonders in the Tee Vee series are long since invented. Doors that open when they sense your approach. Computer AIs that talk to you. Heck, our cell phones are far superior to the "communicators" they had in the show.

bluetooth earpieces.
Transporters. I want to say, Beam me to Plitvice, and I’m there. (Or home from the office vs commuting.)

Return to “Science”