Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile in Texoma........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Meanwhile in Texoma........

Post by Volkonski »

Today our daughter returns to her school after 6 days of no school either in person or virtual. At this rate the entire 2nd grade will have to repeat 2nd grade again next year.

Yet her students are lucky. Many schools suffered burst pipes last week and can't open until plumbers are found. :(

A number of large venues here have burst pipes including the big Multipurpose Events Center, several churches and some stores.

The state is speeding up the licensing of almost trained new plumbers and is offering temporary licenses to out of state plumbers.

Locally-
Due to the recent winter weather and the resulting plumbing issues many residential and commercial customers face, all permit fees for plumbing, water, and gas repairs for work related to the recent winter weather event and sub-freezing temperatures, will be waived until further notice.

In addition, as of February 11, the Utility Collections department has not, and currently is not, cutting off customer’s water for non-payment. Utility Collections is also not charging for emergency water cutoffs due to winter storm damage. Customers who have experienced a leak are encouraged to contact Utility Collections to determine the appropriate documentation needed to potentially have their winter-month-average sewer charge adjusted.
Our city had a big bottled water give away yesterday. We didn't need any but many do.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Re: Meanwhile in Texoma........

Post by Azastan »

One of the benefits of living in the PNW is that, at least on the western side of WA state, there is no shortage of water during the winter. My barn is set up so that I have my gutter downspouts emptying into 100 gallon stock tanks (barn has a metal roof), and I have five tanks set up that way.

I also have a 'seasonal creek' in the front pasture, which looks more like a lake at the moment. The mallards love it.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just saw a local update. Several schools in our city have burst pipes and water damage. Would have been worse but the custodians on their own initiative left the thermostats at 65F instead of the usual 50F when unoccupied. Some heating units failed. Expect repairs to cost under $100,000.

Food Pantry here was closed for all of last week. With schools also closed it was a hungry time for too many people. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I heard a report on NPR yesterday morning that because of deregulated electric system in TX, some people are facing +$10K residential electric bills for the last month. Yikes!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

bill_g wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 am I heard a report on NPR yesterday morning that because of deregulated electric system in TX, some people are facing +$10K residential electric bills for the last month. Yikes!
Yes. Normally you can get very low rates by going with a plan bases prices on the spot market price of natural gas. Last week gas prices spiked hugely.

The governor is working with the Public Utilities Commission to see if something can be done. In the meantime he has ordered that electric and gas service can not be shut off for nonpayment.

Suddenly when the free market fails our Republican office holders embrace big government solutions. ;)

We have a fixed rate plan and so were not affected.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday Mrs. V. couldn't get our usual Keto bread. Milk was limited not that we use it. Strangely, herbs and spices were in short supply. Our biggest supermarket here never lost power so that helped.

Grocery Supply Chain Continues to Sort Itself Out, Should Return to Normal By End of Week
Some grocery stores still aren't fully stocked as trucks and employees work overtime to replenish what was lost

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/groce ... t_DFWBrand
Gary Huddleston, grocery industry consultant for the Texas Retailers Association, said power outages at both grocery stores and distribution centers were the main culprit behind the supply chain disruption, not just the icy roads.

“I think we’ve had enough historical events to last us a little while,” he said, praising the grocery store and food warehouse workers for their hard work over the last week, after months of working through the pandemic.

"We want to be extremely appreciative to our employees," Huddleston said.

Once the winter weather struck Texas and the power outages began, many stores and warehouses were forced to throw out perishables due to safety guidelines on food products.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After a two week weather delay got our Pacifica's state inspection this morning. The local Chrysler dealer's service department seems to have its act together. The three times I have gone there they have done the work quickly. Socially distanced waiting area. Their people wear masks. :)

Now to reregister the Pacifica online. This will be a little cheaper this year because Wichita County does not have the extra environmental fees that our much larger former county did.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

They charge you for polluting the air and wasting energy in Texas? I'd have thought you'd be getting a refund. 8-)
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Now 79F so I have moved out to the patio. :D

The house next door is getting a new roof.

Dog barking somewhere.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:12 pm Now 79F so I have moved out to the patio. :D

The house next door is getting a new roof.

Dog barking somewhere.
You’re looking younger (and handsomer) these days, Mr. V. That snow and the cold must have agreed with you. :D
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Airforce jets passing overhead every few minutes.

Spring almost here. Our lawn service coming to apply the 1st treatment of the season on Monday.

Were those blizzards only last week?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Hello,

Nice to meet you again.

Sad-Cafe
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Got a new WiFi enabled dishwasher yesterday. We had one in our previous house. Now I can monitor the dishwasher via my smartphone. :D
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I have one. Damn thing never would load the dishes itself.
Il factotum
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:52 pm Got a new WiFi enabled dishwasher yesterday. We had one in our previous house. Now I can monitor the dishwasher via my smartphone. :D
Why?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:03 pm
Volkonski wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:52 pm Got a new WiFi enabled dishwasher yesterday. We had one in our previous house. Now I can monitor the dishwasher via my smartphone. :D
Why?
So I get notified once the cycle is complete and can go open the door while the dishes are hot and will dry thoroughly. Also this dishwasher has top mounted controls which can't be seen once the door is closed. I can check the settings and any error messages on my phone.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

If it's like mine it keeps track of how many dishwasher detergent tablets you have left too. Gotta have that, you know.
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We awaken this morning to FOG! :o

Fog was frequent when we lived down on the Gulf Coast but here it is usually so dry that fog is rare. Fear not, the forecast for later today is 70F and partly cloudy.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

zekeb wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:00 pm I have one. Damn thing never would load the dishes itself.
That's what kids are for. :D
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:08 am
zekeb wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:00 pm I have one. Damn thing never would load the dishes itself.
That's what kids are for. :D
Alas our local kid is now in her 40s and a public school teacher. No way can we boss her around. :lol:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-weat ... 5121bb3a1c

Texas power company seeks bankruptcy protection after storm
The largest and oldest power cooperative in Texas is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing last month’s winter storm that left millions without power.

Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, which serves 16 distribution member cooperatives that cater to more than 1.5 million Texans across 68 counties from the Texas Panhandle to Houston, said Monday that it was a “financially robust, stable company” prior to the severe cold weather that hit Texas between February 13 and February 19.

Much of Texas’ power grid collapsed, followed by its water systems. Tens of millions huddled in frigid homes. Others fled for safety. The state, long suspicious of regulation and outside help, was left to seek aid from other states and humanitarian groups as many of its 29 million people grasped for survival.

Brazos said that it received excessively high invoices from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas for collateral and for purported cost of electric service. The invoices were required to be paid within days. As a cooperative, Brazos’ costs are passed through to its members and retail consumers served by its members. Brazos decided that it won’t pass on the ERCOT costs to its members or the consumers.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

You can operate on cheap rates and no reserves, but sometimes it will bite you.
Il factotum
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:23 am https://apnews.com/article/us-news-weat ... 5121bb3a1c

Texas power company seeks bankruptcy protection after storm
The largest and oldest power cooperative in Texas is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing last month’s winter storm that left millions without power.

Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, which serves 16 distribution member cooperatives that cater to more than 1.5 million Texans across 68 counties from the Texas Panhandle to Houston, said Monday that it was a “financially robust, stable company” prior to the severe cold weather that hit Texas between February 13 and February 19.

Much of Texas’ power grid collapsed, followed by its water systems. Tens of millions huddled in frigid homes. Others fled for safety. The state, long suspicious of regulation and outside help, was left to seek aid from other states and humanitarian groups as many of its 29 million people grasped for survival.

Brazos said that it received excessively high invoices from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas for collateral and for purported cost of electric service. The invoices were required to be paid within days. As a cooperative, Brazos’ costs are passed through to its members and retail consumers served by its members. Brazos decided that it won’t pass on the ERCOT costs to its members or the consumers.
Maybe that's one way to get their head out of their asses, if every co-op in the state does the same. Make ERCOT implode and just start over.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

And we were doing pretty well recently. :(

Gov. Greg Abbott says he's rescinding statewide mask mandate, capacity limits on businesses

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/02 ... ouncement/
“It is now time to open Texas 100%,” Abbott said from a Mexican restaurant in Lubbock, arguing that Texas has fought the coronavirus pandemic to the point that “people and businesses don’t need the state telling them how to operate” any longer.

Abbott said he was rescinding “most of the earlier executive orders” he has issued over the past year to stem the spread of the virus. He said starting next Wednesday, “all businesses of any type are allowed to open 100%” and masks will no longer be required in public.

The news comes as the spread of the virus remains substantial across the state. Texas is averaging more than 200 reported deaths a day in the last week.

Still, the move is not entirely surprising. Abbott said Thursday that his office was looking at when it could lift all statewide coronavirus orders and that he would have announcements “pretty soon.” Texas will be the most populous state in the country not to have a mask mandate. More than 30 states currently have one in place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”