Meanwhile in Texoma........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Meanwhile in Texoma........

Post by Volkonski »

Power went out here about 15 minutes ago. :(

No storm or high winds. Estimated restoration in 2 hours.

I blame Governor Abbott.

Now I have to stay up until the power comes back on because my CPAP machine won't work without it.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sunny cool morning heading up to 72F this afternoon. A bit breezy.

The occasional pecan dropping from our two pecan trees.

The traffic over on Old Jackboro Rd is a bit noisey this Halloween morning. A dog is barking to the east.

My left knee is much better this morning. :biggrin:

Plan for today is to set up my PC in my office. Took only a few minutes to set up Mrs.V's laptop yesterday. Time for me to switch to a laptop. The PC is too heavy and too complex to set up twice a year with different peripherals on LI and here.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Houston Dash NWSL team lost today's game and won't be going to the playoffs. :(

Today was another beautiful day with highs in the 70s but the rest of the week things will be cooler. After driving though hundreds of miles pf Autumn colors to get here, here everything is still green but not for much longer.

No trick or treaters here but the city, the churches and the business organizations all held Halloween events yesterday. Looking back on trick or treating when we and our daughters were young the best Halloweens were on Friday or Saturday when there was no school the next day. ;)

Sitting in my home office listening to WLNG Oldies 92 from the east end of LI. Having some withdrawal symptoms. ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

If'n you were lucky(?) enough to attend a Catholic school, you never had to attend class the day after All Hallows Eve!😀. You had to attend Mass to celebrate All Saints Day. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Glad your knee is better, V. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

On the way up to LI we found that a restaurant next to our hotel where we expected to eat had closed. :(

Happened again on our second night on the drive back to Texas. We had chosen these particular hotels partly because of the nearby restaurants. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Wichita Falls Courthouse is about to undergo extensive renovations. So today for a $1 contribution you can swing a sledgehammer against the walls of one of the offices. ;)

Go way to work out your aggression.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our SIL the lawyer has been to various courthouses in at least two counties today. That means a lot of driving since at least one of those is an hour away.

It is really too bad that the criminal element here don't commit enough crimes so he has to travel to get enough cases. ;)
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:46 pm On the way up to LI we found that a restaurant next to our hotel where we expected to eat had closed. :(

Happened again on our second night on the drive back to Texas. We had chosen these particular hotels partly because of the nearby restaurants. :(
Was your second night in Knoxville? Just curious about the restaurant (I’m from there).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:05 pm
Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:46 pm On the way up to LI we found that a restaurant next to our hotel where we expected to eat had closed. :(

Was your second night in Knoxville? Just curious about the restaurant (I’m from there).
Yes, east Knoxville. The restaurant was Puleo's Grille in Strawberry Plains just off of I 40.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Yes, east Knoxville. The restaurant was Puleo's Grille in Strawberry Plains just off of I 40.
Ah. After my time. But I googled… they had three locations - Strawberry Plains, Alcoa, and Cedar Bluff. According to someone on reddit, the founder, Steve Puleo, got caught up in some sov cit tax scam, and had to sell out. The new owners couldn’t make a go.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:46 pm
Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Ah. After my time. But I googled… they had three locations - Strawberry Plains, Alcoa, and Cedar Bluff. According to someone on reddit, the founder, Steve Puleo, got caught up in some sov cit tax scam, and had to sell out. The new owners couldn’t make a go.
Too bad. I really liked their shrimp and grits.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Wow, that’s sovcit stuff close to home.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Busy afternoon today.

First we went to CVS to get our flu shots. Not busy there at all. :( I wish I believed that that was because everyone here already got their shots.

Then we drove to the local TX Highway Department office and voted. On the ballot were 8 proposed amendments to the TX Constitution and an at large city counsel position.

Then we went to Specs Liquor to replenish the liquor cabinet and the wine rack. :biggrin:

Got home before the rain forecast for later this afternoon and tonight started. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

This past week highs were in the 50s. Today the high is 70F. Tomorrow it will get to 77F.

So we are outside today. Mrs.V has been weeding the flower bed. Our daughter just put up the lights (that we bought over a year ago but never used) under the patio pergola.

Earlier our daughter and I took a walk down the alley behind the houses.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our fancy schmancy refrigerator that we bought to replace the one flooded by Harvey is failing and according to the appliance repair man we had in yesterday can not be repaired. :mad:

So Mrs. V and I sat down at my PC yesterday and investigated possible replacements.

I would have been happy with a side by side fridge (which cost much less than french door fridges) but Mrs. V wanted a 4 door french door model. Looking at Lowe's, Home Depot and Best Buy we found that they all had the fridge Mrs. V liked on sale for about the same early Black Friday price. Best Buy had the quickest delivery and 2 years no interest financing so we went with them. New fridge arrives Thursday.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Otis T. Bacon was the first mayor of Wichita Falls. The site of Bacon, TX is about 10 miles north of here just to the west of I-44 across from Sheppard AFB.

Wichita Falls backdrop for national push to reinstate Bacon, TX

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/ ... -bacon-tx/
A new advertisement from a national restaurant chain highlights Wichita Falls and calls attention to some of its unique local history, while attempting to bring back Bacon, Texas.

The Convention and Visitors Bureau recently announced filming took place in Wichita Falls for a new Church’s Chicken commercial after a location scout contacted them.

:snippity:

The commercial advertises Church’s new Texas-Cut Bacon Chicken Sandwiches, but also promotes the launch of a national petition to put the town of Bacon, TX back on the map.

The commercial features many iconic Wichita Falls landmarks and staples of downtown, including the Wichita Theater marquis, the Littlest Skyscraper, and a drive down Scott Street highlights Big Blue the downtown skyline.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:o

Texas Tech: Beavers Found in Lubbock for the First Time in 5,000 Years

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas ... t_DFWBrand
A Texas Tech doctoral candidate has made a historic discovery in Lubbock. A handful of North American beavers are back living in the South Plains for the first time in 5,000 years.

According to our media partners at KLBK in Lubbock, Garret D. Langlois made the discovery and said his research proves beavers are living in the Canyon Lakes, Buffalo Springs, and Ransom Canyon. But their presence did not happen overnight.

His investigation which covers 100 river miles and 12 years, and it found that beavers have been coming into town from the East, secretly working up tributaries of the Brazos River for more than a decade.

He said fossil records show that beavers lived in this area and in North and Central Texas less than 125,000 years ago, and they expanded their range as far as the border between New Mexico and Mexico as well as Northwest Arizona.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:cheer2: :cheer1: Beavers are super cool.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It is 81F with 30% RH currently. Will be warmer tomorrow.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oh deer!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I’ve always found it odd that wildlife is killed at wildlife refuges.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:56 pm I’ve always found it odd that wildlife is killed at wildlife refuges.
It does sound strange. ;)

Can't be avoided if the refuges lack natural predators. Deer don't use contraception.

Long Island experimented with contraceptive salt licks but that didn't work. Without the annual cull the deer would soon overwhelm suburban areas.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:11 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:56 pm I’ve always found it odd that wildlife is killed at wildlife refuges.
It does sound strange. ;)

Can't be avoided if the refuges lack natural predators. Deer don't use contraception.

Long Island experimented with contraceptive salt licks but that didn't work. Without the annual cull the deer would soon overwhelm suburban areas.
We have deer culls going on too. IIRC, some refuges allow seasonal hunting. Just struck me as strange. I tell critters to stay away from refuges. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

257745352_353812176545285_6315727741987172906_n.jpg
257745352_353812176545285_6315727741987172906_n.jpg (264.57 KiB) Viewed 768 times
https://www.fallscon.net/?fbclid=IwAR1y ... TqPwZ7cqFA

Our SIL is an avid gamer.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”