Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile in Texoma........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Meanwhile in Texoma........

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:01 pm https:// twitter.com/TexomasHomepage/status/1428400174175502342?s=19

The big hospital in WF is now refusing transfer patients.
and also too
According to Phyllis Cowling, President and CEO of United Regional, said the overwhelming majority of hospitalized patients in this new wave are unvaccinated.

“90% of the COVID patients hospitalized at United Regional since July 1 have been unvaccinated,” Cowling said. “This is not social media hype; this is data from our own organization. If you’ve been hesitant, on the fence, regarding the vaccine, please consider this fact.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It is the hottest time of the year in Wichita Falls. What better time to have a 100 mile bicycle race? (Any other time would be better.)

They have been doing this for 40 years. But this year the local trauma center is full of Covid patients. They expect 10,000 participants by the time registration is finished.

Last year they cancelled it. Last year they were smart.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:05 am https:// twitter.com/Newschannel6Now/status/1430013279984889858

It is the hottest time of the year in Wichita Falls. What better time to have a 100 mile bicycle race? (Any other time would be better.)

They have been doing this for 40 years. But this year the local trauma center is full of Covid patients. They expect 10,000 participants by the time registration is finished.

Surely none of them is expecting to end up at the ER this year, volountarily will skip the opportunity of a visit in favour of the covid patients...
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:05 am

I'm a little surprised, frankly, that they are going to run this event. At least around here, cyclists skew older and more educated. The average age in my bike club is probably 50+, with some people well into their 80s (and they're not always the slowest guys on rides). So even though it's Texas, I would expect somewhat similar age demographics, and thus some common sense.

Yes, the HHH has the status of a legendary "bucket list" bike ride that even I in the Northeast have heard about and could imagine doing someday when the Travel Gods align behind it. But I certainly can't imagine signing up for a superspreader in the middle of the Delta variant, even though I'm fully vaxxed.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MPEC is the Multi Purpose Events Center.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Stay tuned for reports of heat stroke.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NO!!!!!!

I'm feeling cold already. It got down to -8F.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

No! No,no,no,no,NO!

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The only German restaurant in Wichita Falls. :crying:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It's that time again. The Texas parade of unhealthy food. ;)
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Sadly, the link to the 10 best deep fried foods requires either a subscription or handing over an e-mail address.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Azastan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:53 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Sadly, the link to the 10 best deep fried foods requires either a subscription or handing over an e-mail address.
Actually that is probably a good thing. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Started out as the segregated black high school. Became a junior high after desegregation. Now is an elementary school.

I have noticed that a number of Texas school districts have one elementary school named for a famous black American that used to be segregated black schools. In our previous Texas city it was the George Washington Carver school.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Last summer after we moved to Wichita Falls I signed up to get Codered alerts from the city. Tonight I got my 1st alerts. Severe thunderstorm warnings.

Of course we are still on Long Island. :biggrin:

Worst of the storm seems to be in OK but the Texas State Fair in Dallas is closing early tonight because of it.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Burkburnett is just North of Wichita Falls.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good for them.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Isn't TX an at-will state? Is an EO considered a statute as applies to at-will employment?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Same school that went into a lockdown last week.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

No bomb was found.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

More seriously stormy weather in Texoma tonight.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

DryInk

Post by DryInk »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:37 am
Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:05 am

I'm a little surprised, frankly, that they are going to run this event. At least around here, cyclists skew older and more educated. The average age in my bike club is probably 50+, with some people well into their 80s (and they're not always the slowest guys on rides). So even though it's Texas, I would expect somewhat similar age demographics, and thus some common sense.

Yes, the HHH has the status of a legendary "bucket list" bike ride that even I in the Northeast have heard about and could imagine doing someday when the Travel Gods align behind it. But I certainly can't imagine signing up for a superspreader in the middle of the Delta variant, even though I'm fully vaxxed.
I rode the 100 mile route back in 2011 and again in 2012. 2011 was the hottest in its history (at the time, not sure if it's been surpassed) at 109F (ground temperature was around 125). As far as distance rides go it's one of the flattest, but at some point you'll be riding into a 20-30MPH headwind. And in 2011 it felt like a really hot blow dryer in your face.

2012 was much nicer weather, much easier ride. I cut an hour off my time. I think at that time they were getting 12-13,000 riders. I might do it again someday, but not without being in better shape than I am now.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mayor Santellana to host taco party in response to rude comment

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2021/09 ... 6A6i1HAJ5I
WICHITA FALLS, Texas (KAUZ) - Wichita Falls Mayor Stephen Santellana is using social media to turn a negative comment into a positive celebration for the city.

Via a Facebook post, Mayor Santellana shared a comment from his page, the author of that post called the mayor a “taco eater.” Instead of lashing out, Santellana is throwing a city wide taco party, and donating the funds raised from his social media to a charity.

“What good does it do for the mayor to go out there and combat an individual or a group of individuals, it doesn’t,” said Santellana. “I would rather sit down and talk to you. I rather get some understanding and if I can get community support for non-profits then there you go. It’s really good thing for Wichita Falls.”

Mayor Santellana asked people to comment on his social media page with a raising hand emoji if they like eating tacos.
The 1st WF Taco Fest was held today. It was well attended. :biggrin:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”