Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Steve Bannon

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Kendra

Re: Steve Bannon

Post by Kendra »

:confuzzled: What the heck does the 60 day window before the elections have to do with him? He's no stinking candidate, I don't believe he's been a government official for a few years, and lastly - isn't that a Federal DOJ policy and not state?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:53 am
So now in addition to not being able to pursue charges against sitting or former presidents, we also cannot pursue charges against media personalities? :confuzzled:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:39 am Serious question: When Soros dies, who will be the next bogeyman?
Well, I mean, ghost can be bogeymen, right? It worked for Candyman.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

That all said, I believe good old Bannon Harkonnen still has some jail time coming his way from the Contempt of Congress case, yes?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
tek

Post by tek »

Bannon definitely has an exalted view of his importance to, well, pretty much everything.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:53 am
What the actual phuck is this "I can be indicted because it's 60 days before an election!" cry from people who are not running for anything?

FFS get over yourselves. :mad:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

I'm diving into Bannon as "Leninist". https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-ban ... -leninist/
Then we had a long talk about his approach to politics. He never called himself a “populist” or an “American nationalist,” as so many think of him today. “I’m a Leninist,” Bannon proudly proclaimed.

Shocked, I asked him what he meant.

“Lenin,” he answered, “wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Bannon was employing Lenin’s strategy for Tea Party populist goals. He included in that group the Republican and Democratic Parties, as well as the traditional conservative press.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
“We call ourselves ‘the Fight Club.’ You don’t come to us for warm and fuzzy,” said Stephen Bannon, Breitbart’s executive chairman and one of its guiding editorial spirits. He adds, “We think of ourselves as virulently anti-establishment, particularly ‘anti-’ the permanent political class. We say Paul Ryan was grown in a petri dish at the Heritage Foundation.”
he has a "100 year 'reich' vision:
https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-b ... 1[quote]He added that he thought the MAGA movement will win an "80 to 100 seat pickup in the House of Representatives."

Bannon also made the baseless claim that MAGA candidates will sweep wins in the Senate, school boards, and state legislatures, and take the seats for "all the Secretaries of State."

"You're witnessing right now a political realignment like 1932. And we will govern for a hundred years after we win a hundred seats," Bannon said.

"I believe that we will destroy the Democratic Party as a national political institution," Bannon replied, railing against Republican Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger, who he described as "neoliberal neo-cons."

The Wednesday appearance is not the first time Bannon has floated the idea of a MAGA takeover of the US government. In a December 2021 episode of his podcast, "War Room: Pandemic," Bannon discussed with Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz the possibility of an "army of patriots" and "shock troops" taking over the US government.[/quote]

What I've found is that he's more aligned with the Weathermen of the 1970's in his "burning it all down" in fact, he referenced their manifesto Prairie Fire: The Politics of Revolutionary Anti-Imperialism (available as pdf, btw) back during the Tea Party days. https://www.rawstory.com/steve-bannon-w ... derground/

MAGA is just a virulent extension
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:15 pm
What the actual phuck is this "I can be indicted because it's 60 days before an election!" cry from people who are not running for anything?

Ye know - in election years one cannot appoint a member for scotus...
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:25 pm
Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Ye know - in election years one Democrats cannot appoint a member for scotus...
FIFY
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

The thing our lovely idiots forget is that the whole "we won't do stuff X days before an election" is just an internal "gentle-persons" agreement by the DoJ and the like, it aint cast in stone, it ain't Constitutional and it ain't the law.

My personal view is it a load of self serving BS that ties back to my previous comment about how the US somehow has come to the insane position that thinks politicians are special and need specal treatment.

The fetishization and monetization of the political classes is, IMHO, at least as much a threat to the democratic processes as the MAGAts of the right.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Mr brolin wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:47 am The thing our lovely idiots forget is that the whole "we won't do stuff X days before an election" is just an internal "gentle-persons" agreement by the DoJ and the like, it aint cast in stone, it ain't Constitutional and it ain't the law.

My personal view is it a load of self serving BS that ties back to my previous comment about how the US somehow has come to the insane position that thinks politicians are special and need specal treatment.

The fetishization and monetization of the political classes is, IMHO, at least as much a threat to the democratic processes as the MAGAts of the right.
Agree, and in my case it also applies to any "celebrity."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg and New York Attorney General Letitia James will hold a press conference at 1pm ET to announce the indictment of Steve Bannon and 'We Build the Wall.'
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

I don’t know the rules, but what if Bannon moves for removal to Federal court?
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

WaPo news alert: Bannon charged with scheme to defraud, money laundering, and conspiracy under NY state law. No basis to remove to federal court.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Greatgrey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:23 am I don’t know the rules, but what if Bannon moves for removal to Federal court?
A defendant cannot remove a criminal case to federal court.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

The comments to that LawandCrime article are fire. My favorite: "couldn't have happened to a nicer bloated scumbag."
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 am
Greatgrey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:23 am I don’t know the rules, but what if Bannon moves for removal to Federal court?
Thanks.

So removal is a civil option only, eh?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I liked the one with all of the Sesame Street muppets dancing wildly as the number 6 drops from the ceiling. :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Unindicted Co-Conspirator 1
Who might that be?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Greatgrey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:29 am
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 am
Thanks.

So removal is a civil option only, eh?
Yup.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I still don't follow how this rolled. I thought originally "We Build The Wall" was the grifting vet in a wheelchair... forget his name. Was Bannon also a part of it but behind the scenes?

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”