Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Post by Volkonski »

The remnants of Ida are just starting to reach us.

Hope we don't get the tornadoes that have bedeviled points west today.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:46 pm The remnants of Ida are just starting to reach us.

We just got put under a tornado watch on the Connecticut side of the sound. Radar has the major rainfall over Princeton at the moment, heading northeast, probably hitting your neighborhood and mine in about 90 minutes. The radar picture looks much uglier than the alleged "hurricane" of about 10 days ago.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 pm
Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:46 pm The remnants of Ida are just starting to reach us.

We just got put under a tornado watch on the Connecticut side of the sound. Radar has the major rainfall over Princeton at the moment, heading northeast, probably hitting your neighborhood and mine in about 90 minutes. The radar picture looks much uglier than the alleged "hurricane" of about 10 days ago.
Alleged?
johnpcapitalist

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Alleged?
I understand that it was hardly "alleged" down where you live. But they were issuing warnings in the NYC metro area like it was a rerun of the 1938 Connecticut hurricane, the worst one to hit New England in recorded history. The local electric utility was predicting that more than half of customers in CT would lose power for up to 10 days. 4+ inches of rain. 45+ winds gusting to 60. Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

None of that even remotely resembled the mild rainstorm that passed over us shortly after this wave of apocalyptic predictions. Yeah, I'm counting my blessings versus people down south, and I'm grateful that we have way too many warnings (the 1938 storm came in without significant warning, even from ships in the way). But it was probably the biggest mismatch between prediction and actuality that I can recall in quite some time.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The rain has mostly passed. Still breezy. Storm less severe here than in NYC and up Island.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Alleged?
I understand that it was hardly "alleged" down where you live. But they were issuing warnings in the NYC metro area like it was a rerun of the 1938 Connecticut hurricane, the worst one to hit New England in recorded history. The local electric utility was predicting that more than half of customers in CT would lose power for up to 10 days. 4+ inches of rain. 45+ winds gusting to 60. Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

None of that even remotely resembled the mild rainstorm that passed over us shortly after this wave of apocalyptic predictions. Yeah, I'm counting my blessings versus people down south, and I'm grateful that we have way too many warnings (the 1938 storm came in without significant warning, even from ships in the way). But it was probably the biggest mismatch between prediction and actuality that I can recall in quite some time.
Based on the reports we're seeing out of NYC, sounds to me like they got it right with the predictions although they were a little short on the actual rainfall totals.
johnpcapitalist

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:32 am
johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Alleged?

Based on the reports we're seeing out of NYC, sounds to me like they got it right with the predictions although they were a little short on the actual rainfall totals.
My comments about the storm being predicted as far too severe than it actually turned out to be referred to the dregs of hurricane Henri, which hit here a week or two ago.

The storm last night was indeed severe, especially in NY/NJ. Manhattan saw 5+ inches of rain in 3 hours, a record for there, but I know that may be considered "drizzle" or "scattered showers" in some parts of the Gulf coast.

We ended up taking on some water from flooded basement stairs, and I was lugging a Shop Vac full of water up to the back porch to dump it out more times than I can count, but we didn't lose power. So we had it a lot easier than much of the NYC metro area.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

No LIRR trains have passed here so far this morning. Spooky. ;)
tek

Post by tek »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am The storm last night was indeed severe, especially in NY/NJ. Manhattan saw 5+ inches of rain in 3 hours, a record for there, but I know that may be considered "drizzle" or "scattered showers" in some parts of the Gulf coast.
Here in my part of Palm Beach County, we've seen "afternoon thunderstorms" that dumped 4 inches of rain in less than an hour. But the infrastructure is in place to handle it. That would be Armageddon in some of the places I lived in back in Massachusetts.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

LIRR train just passed here. The order of the universe is restored. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

WLNG just announced that the powers that be have banned shellfish fishing on most of the east end and much of the rest of Long Island.

:(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Another glorious weather day on the North Fork. :biggrin:

European American Waste Disposal just picked up our trash. The town contracts with them because they have small trucks that fit thru our narrow dirt road. Most of the town is serviced by full-sized trucks.

Hard to believe that Labor Day weekend is here already. Oh well, time to enjoy pumpkin spice everything. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After Mrs. V. and our daughter finished going to estate sales we all drove over to the 2021 Winery of the Year. Nearly a mile away but worth the trip. ;)

Daughter had a flight of white wines. Mrs. V. and I had a bottle of their signature red. We all shared a baguette and a triple cream brie.

They are now off to the North Fork Chocolate Company for candy and ice cream.

I expect my dinner will be an olive loaf sandwich. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Olive loaf sandwich eaten. :biggrin:

Now out on the porch listening to the aircraft of the 1%ers heading to the South Fork for the long weekend.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Daughter cooking tofu and vegetable stir fry. Smells good.

But I am for bed.

Going down to 52F tonight. :eek:

Put an extra blanket on the bed.

An early autumn.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:49 pm Daughter cooking tofu and vegetable stir fry. Smells good.

But I am for bed.

Going down to 52F tonight. :eek:

Put an extra blanket on the bed.

An early autumn.
It's cool here, too, at night right now. But I read the long-term forecast for the fall is warmer than average, so enjoy it. ;)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Out on upstairs porch with a whiskey and water. :biggrin:

Just heard fireworks to the west. Not aware of any licensed displays tonight. Fireworks not legal here but the police don't do much about them if they don't go on for very long.

Listening to WLNG Oldies 92's Saturday Night Dance Party. Too much disco. :( ;)

Not much traffic on the Main Rd tonight.

WLNG switched to big band dance classics.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:01 pm Out on upstairs porch with a whiskey and water. :biggrin:

Listening to WLNG Oldies 92's Saturday Night Dance Party. Too much disco. :( ;)
Scotch is the true man's drink :D

Disco is the devils music.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Listening to WLNG this morning where it is almost time for Brunch with Bonnie.

WLNG is all about cute names for its programs. The Saturday noontime program is Lunch on the Deck. Weekdays at 5 pm it's the 5 o'clock Whistle which opens with the whistle sound and yaba daba doo from the Flintstones.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Brunch with Bonnie is sponsored by 2 restaurants that just happen to offer Sunday brunch.

After listening to few of their ads I felt compelled to head to the kitchen and make a nice breakfast sandwich. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A rainy evening on the North Fork.

But fear not! Tomorrow should get up to 81F so our daughter should at last get to the beach. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Labor Day! The summer is over.

Mrs. V's out shopping the sales.

I fully expect her to bring home some mums, the unofficial flower of North Fork autumn.

Yesterday for the first time this year the traffic entering our hamlet was backed up significantly at the traffic light. Normally that's an every day thing in late summer.

Yesterday was gray and cool. Last night rainy. Today is sunny and warm. Mrs. V. and our daughter plan a trip to the beach this afternoon.

Earlier there was a lawnmower running to the south but it is now quiet in the Circle. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A perfect weather day today.

Mrs. V. didn't bring home any mums but she and our daughter have planned a trip to Greenport tomorrow so mums will probably appear after that. ;)

I get to stay home and wait for the gas line inspector.

Mrs. V. and our daughter did get to the beach today. :thumbsup:

The North Fork is emptying tonight as work and school looms for many tomorrow.

Things will be quiet for 2 or 3 weeks and then the dreaded pumpkin traffic will begin on weekends.

Or maybe not so much. Summer traffic was less than usual. Fall traffic may be less than usual also.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Circle is quiet on this lovely afternoon.

The gas line inspector has been and gone.

Mrs. V. and our daughter are in Greenport.

Locals are preparing events recognizing the 20th anniversary of 9/11 this Saturday.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”