Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:43 pm The Modern Snack Bar which has reopened for the season in April as long as I can recall (since 1977) this year is reopening today, well into May. :shock:

I hope that neither of the brothers is ill.
The North Fork without the Modern Snack Bar would be like Manhattan without the Empire State Building. I don't get out there that often, but when I do, I always stop there, like millions of other people.

Hope they're OK. Maybe they just had trouble getting a quorum of staff.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:28 pm
Volkonski wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:43 pm The Modern Snack Bar which has reopened for the season in April as long as I can recall (since 1977) this year is reopening today, well into May. :shock:

I hope that neither of the brothers is ill.
The North Fork without the Modern Snack Bar would be like Manhattan without the Empire State Building. I don't get out there that often, but when I do, I always stop there, like millions of other people.

Hope they're OK. Maybe they just had trouble getting a quorum of staff.
Possible but they have mostly had the same staff year after year after year.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our first 3 days here were beautiful with highs in the low 70s and bright sunshine. :biggrin:

Today it is raining with forecast highs in the 50s. :(

However the weekend is forecast to be fantastic with clear skies and afternoon highs approaching 80. :thumbsup:

Our sprinkler service was supposed to come today to restart the system. We may have to wait on that but everything is getting well watered today.

The radio just announced that the LI positivity rate is over 10% and rising. :(

It is pollen season here. Radio commercials feature sneezing announcers. The weather forecast talked about the yellow stained puddles in this rain. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sprinkler service came.
:biggrin: Technician told me that spraying water is their business. Rain doesn't phase them. :lol:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The smaller farms don't have large parking lots so they depend on street parking.

However Sound Ave is not all that wide so on weekends traffic comes to a standstill in both directions.

This is part of the ongoing dilemma of the North Fork. Maintaining the farms, vineyards and orchards that give the NF its character requires customer traffic from up Island that threatens that character. :?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sitting on the downstairs porch this early Friday morning. The lawnmowers are already roaring despite the grass being wet from yesterday's rain.

Thunderstorms tonight. No drought here. ;)

Trash pickup today. All winter the truck has had only 3 houses putting out cans here. Today it will be 6 houses plus some heavy pickup items. There will be some grumbling for sure. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Radio (WLNG) just reported that the 7 day rolling average Covid positivity rate in Connecticut has risen above 14٪.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Weather forecast here for tomorrow is for highs in the 70s. Tomorrow's forecast for NYC is in the 90s.

Local radio is saying that tonight's traffic may resemble a midsummer weekend as city folk flee the heat.

Lawnmowers continue shattering the peace of the morning. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our lawn service is here to add to the noise. Happily they will be gone in 10 minutes.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Volkonski wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:17 am Lawnmowers continue shattering the peace of the morning. :(
Three words: Noise canceling headphones.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Meanwhile the highs here tomorrow and Sunday will be in the 70s. :biggrin:

Right now we are having rather heavy rain.

With all the rain it is very green here. Still spring though, the big oaks are just beginning to show leaves.

Thunder! I may have to evacuate the porch.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Summer weather and traffic here today.

Today was the long delayed memorial service for one of the NF's leading ladies.

After a career producing and performing in TV and stage productions (including a one woman off Broadway show) she "retired" to the NF during the '90s.

An incomplete list of organizations she was deeply involved with and/or helped found in no particular order-

NF Unitarian Universalist Fellowship

NF Community Theatre (actor, director and set builder)

1731 Meeting House Trust

NF Women for Women Fund

NF Lesbians

Rotary Club (which has endowed two scholarships in her name)

Narrow Range Singers (18 years as a 2nd Alto)

Organization I did not get the name of that does free home repairs for the elderly.

People came all the way from Manhattan and New England for this event which was held at the Founders Landing site in Southold where the 1st white settlers arrived from Connecticut.

One of the most amazing women I ever knew.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... e-v-jacob/
A gifted actor, tireless worker, steadfast friend and animal lover who seldom met a rescue she didn’t want to adopt, Jere Vallack Jacob died peacefully in Greenport, N.Y., on June 26, 2021.

Jere was born in Denville, N.J., on Sept. 30, 1941. Her father’s work took the family to Mexico, where Jere spent the first few years of her life. At the completion of his work in Mexico the family returned permanently to the United States. Growing up in a relatively rural area of New Jersey, Jere was an active 4-H member, a fact she shared with some delight in succeeding decades.

Jere attended Goucher College where, in her freshman year, the school’s stage was destroyed in a fire. Considering this a bad omen for a theater major, she transferred to NYU, graduating in 1963.

Jere held a number of jobs after college. She finally found her home when she joined Joe Cates Productions, a premier producer of television specials including two Emmy-winning shows on which Jere worked, one of which, “S’Wonderful, S’Marvelous, S’Gershwin,” featured Fred Astaire. There is some disagreement about what pleased Jere more — working on an Emmy-winning show or being able to sneak her mother into the taping of an Astaire dance number. Beginning in 1974, she spent many Christmases in Monaco working on the Festival International du Cirque de Monte Carlo creating TV specials for international distribution.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

My observation was that the driving season had begun a couple of weeks ago. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A local Ford dealer's radio ads are warning that some models are already sold out for the year. They list the models that can still be ordered but warn they could sell out soon.

Don't know if this is a local problem or a nationwide issue. May be related to the news reports that Ford has thousands of nearly finished vehicles waiting for chips.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Monday morning,
And the mowers are silent.

Can hear the traffic,
Over on the Main Road.

:lol:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Memorial Day weekend is coming up.

Mrs. V will spend the weekend in Connecticut at an early music event. I get to stay here taking care of the cats. Also I will pick up our older daughter who flies in on Sunday in preparation for her and Mrs. V's France trip.

Mrs. V's cousin (who lives on the Circle) and his Russian wife have gone off the deep end from watching too much Fox News. :(
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 am A local Ford dealer's radio ads are warning that some models are already sold out for the year. They list the models that can still be ordered but warn they could sell out soon.

Don't know if this is a local problem or a nationwide issue. May be related to the news reports that Ford has thousands of nearly finished vehicles waiting for chips.
This is a nationwide issue. St. Louis Fed data shows that vehicle sales were bad in September-December, but started to move up as there has been some improvement in chip deliveries, but it's far from what it should be. Probably another year before supply chains completely recover.

So my guess is that they're running ads to set consumer expectations appropriately. Honesty is a nice touch -- get the people on the lot who are looking for the cars you have, even though you must admit that you don't have all the cars people want... At least you'll get the buyers out of their houses who think there are no cars at all, which was the case for much of last year. I suspect a lot of people still think there are exactly zero cars in inventory, which is no longer the case.

I sometimes drive past a BMW dealer that in normal times has ~200 new cars and ~100 used cars on the lot. For much of 2021, they had zero new cars and only about two dozen used cars on their lot at any one time... I'm surprised they stayed in business. They now have maybe 50 new cars and a similar number of used cars.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our respite from mowers was short lived. The veterinarian who lives on the other side of the Circle is mowing his lawn just now.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and our older daughter are monitoring French weather trying to figure out what clothing to pack for both warm and cool days. Is a puzzlement especially since they only want to use carry on luggage.

Here on the North Fork after a warm weekend the highs for the rest of the week will be in the 60s and the lows in the high 40s. Breezy and cloudy this morning. Sun will come out later.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Looks as if your travellers can expect moderate late spring, early summer, conditions with around 25C/75F at day and cooler nights still at 10C/45F. Mountain areas cooler. Occaisonal day spikes up to 30C/80F and nightly 19-22C if rain goes away.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Currently 48f here. I am on the porch wearing 4 layers against the chill. ;)

No clouds this morning as the sun rises over our neighbor's to the east cottage.

Too early for mowers so the birds are the dominant sound with a bit of Main Rd traffic noise in the background.

Our sprinklers ran last night so it looks and smells like there was a heavy dew. Reminds me of early summer mornings in New England when I was a boy.

I have no business being up this early but the Texas shooting news is too distressing for sleep. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Forecast for tomorrow and Saturday is for rain so the mowers that can are at it today. I expect our lawn service to show up at any moment. ;)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Volkonski wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:14 pm Forecast for tomorrow and Saturday is for rain so the mowers that can are at it today. I expect our lawn service to show up at any moment. ;)
The one nice thing about commercial mowers is that, while annoying noisy, they are also much quicker than a homeowner using a walk behind mower. It used to take my husband something like three hours to mow our lawn. The commercial cutter can do it in 1/2 hour.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”