Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Post by Maybenaut »

In Maybelot we have neither trains nor trash pick-up.

And I have to make my own lunch.

But the landfill is not that far away, we recycle almost everything and the county makes that very easy to do, and a trip down there gives us something to do a couple of times a month.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As we reach the Labor Day weekend it is a hot tea morning on the North Fork. High today will be 76F.

The Oldies station's meteorologist has adjusted his adjectives used to explain why our weather is wonderful. (I suspect that he is paid by the local chambers of commerce to make the local weather sound attractive to potential visitors. ;) )
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The trash truck is here! Almost back to normal timing. :biggrin:

However come Tuesday after the long weekend I expect that it will be very late. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ospreys have been increasing in numbers with human help.

Here on the North Fork many tall poles with flat platforms on top have been installed over the last several years. The ospreys build nests on the platforms. Without these platforms the local ospreys would likely have disappeared by now.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Feeling a bit under the weather this evening so Mrs.V is going to go play in the last Greenport Band concert of the season without me. :(

It has turned cooler here so it is time for long jeans and flannel shirts again.

Local radio advertisers are still pushing summer merchandise like it was Memorial Day weekend. :roll:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V reports that Greenport was very busy this evening. Restaurants and bars full. Traffic heavy.

Outbound traffic was light which suggests that those coming for the long weekend came out earlier in the week.

Loud outdoor party going on west of us, again.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A sunny but cool morning here.

On the Oldies station a South Fork family run grocery store commercial just mentioned that it was Labor Day weekend and they have everything you need for your last big barbecue. Way to be up to date! :thumbsup:

Just before that a local garden center ran a commercial touting everything you need to start your vegetable garden. :roll: I suppose you could buy garden supplies now and save them until next spring. ;)

While the North Fork feels like it is shutting down we are only about 2/3rds of the way thru our time here this year. September and October await. :biggrin:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:13 am A sunny but cool morning here.

On the Oldies station a South Fork family run grocery store commercial just mentioned that it was Labor Day weekend and they have everything you need for your last big barbecue. Way to be up to date! :thumbsup:

Just before that a local garden center ran a commercial touting everything you need to start your vegetable garden. :roll: I suppose you could buy garden supplies now and save them until next spring. ;)

While the North Fork feels like it is shutting down we are only about 2/3rds of the way thru our time here this year. September and October await. :biggrin:
The dreaded pumpkin season!

I envy you your North Fork time. It seems like a beautiful area despite the tourists, and summer is too short.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Very quiet in the Circle today. So quiet that wild turkeys have been walking around. When there are people and dogs walking around the turkeys stay away.

Memorial Day weekend was also quiet. Then people mostly had not arrived. Now people have mostly gone home already.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The rate of acorn falls has increased today to 10 to 12 per minute. Time to wear a hat when outside. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Weather today mostly overcast and more humid than the last few days.

Eastbound traffic was surprisingly heavy this afternoon when we went out so Mrs.V could buy an antique glass dish.

Restaurants near the antique shop were full but a restaurant on our way back was surprisingly quite empty so we ate there. Great New England clam chowder.

South Fork traffic heavy just now as people leave the horse show and the Shinnecock Pow Wow. Oldies station has been suggesting that people find a restaurant for an early dinner and wait for the roads to clear a bit.

Both the horse show and the pow wow are east of the canal. There are only two roads that go across the canal so if they jam up then drivers are stuck. There are no alternative routes.

Rain possible tonight and the next few days so Labor Day may be a washout. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Cornell University is running radio ads here reminding farmers that September is suicide prevention month and that the suicide rate amongst farmers is higher than that of the general population.

Cornell operates New York Farmnet which offers support for distressed farmers.

Cornell has been running Farmnet ads all summer.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Connecticut has had storms all day.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The trash truck has just arrived. About 2.25 hours later than usual.

Last long weekend of the summer is in the past so schedule should revert to normal going forward. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Three visits to medical offices this week.

Yesterday the dentist, my 32 original teeth are in great shape. Only 2 cavities so far ever. Dentist remarked that this was unusual in someone my age.

Opthamalagist said eyes are in great shape for someone of my age but that the left eye is ready for cataract surgery. Had right eye done years ago.

Day before yesterday was the pulmonologist who didn't think I really had a 5 cm mass in my right lung and ordered the PET scan to be sure.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You win the Fogbow I May Be Old But My Body Is In Great Shape Award!!!!!!!! :winner:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

This morning is our more or less annual Circle garage sale.

Mrs.V spent yesterday collecting our contributions.

Now strangers are walking around looking for bargains.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Another 9/11 anniversary.

The local Oldies station just had a moment of silence followed by a musical selection unlike what they normally play.

Quite a few of the 9/11victims were from Long Island.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I always know how many years ago it was, because my son was born four days prior, and we were still in a motel in Fresno. He turned 21 on Wednesday.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Today is the North Fork Foodie Tour sponsored by a local reform synagogue.

A number of North Fork farms, wineries, breweries etc, some not normally open to the public, offer tours, lectures and tastings.

I am not going this year but Mrs. V and her cousin who lives down by the Bay are already out to visit the locations that are new this year. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Here a major computer hack has taken down most of the County government's computers. :(

Emergency services are not affected but the Country can't pay bill's or process most normal business.

No estimates about how long this will take to be fixed.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thank you ever so for your "One Minute" posts. :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:08 am Thank you ever so for your "One Minute" posts. :lovestruck:
Just posting the links to the videos put on YouTube by "The Northforker" magazine. ;)
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

They are such a welcome (reassuring?) contrast to our normal fare, thank you.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”