Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:20 am Mrs.V and our daughter got emails from Air France this morning telling them to arrive at JFK for their outbound flight 4 hours early this Friday.

Previously the recommendation was 3 hours early.

At this rate they may end up staying at JFK longer than they will be on the airplane.

Actually when the time in the limo going to JFK is included that is not a joke.
From everything I'm seeing on my Facebook feeds, flying in Europe is a total disaster these days. The Amsterdam airport is a horror show, and I think at least one of the Paris airports is about as bad, so getting there even once they land is not likely to be fun. Good luck.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:20 am At this rate they may end up staying at JFK longer than they will be on the airplane.
It definitely takes less time to drive 185 miles to my dad's place in Bethesda than it takes to drive to RDU Airport, park, get a shuttle to the airport terminal, check in, fly to any of the three airports in our nation's capital area (Reagan, Dulles, and BWI), and eventually rent a car and drive to his place. I can drive it in a little more than 4 hours, or I can spend a LOT more money and it would take 6 hours.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

South Fork-

SOUTHAMPTON, NY — Shinnecock Bay has earned international recognition as one of the most pristine bodies of water in the world.

The bay has been designated a new global "Hope Spot," by Mission Blue, an international organization that supports the protection of oceans worldwide, a release from the organization said.

The distinction is the result of a decade of restorative and scientific work co-led by Ellen Pikitch, Ph.D., Christopher Gobler, Ph.D. and Bradley Peterson, Ph.D. in the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, or SoMAS, at Stony Brook University, those involved said.

Hope Spots, Mission Blue said, are "iconic ocean regions that stand out as some of the most pristine on the globe."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ETA: Do you have turtles or penguins?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Turtles yes. Penguins no. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V and our older daughter leave for Paris tomorrow.

This morning comes news of a strike at Charles de Gaulle and the cancellation of 100 flights today. :?

Waiting for news from Air France.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After heavy rain overnight the sun is out. Our mowers are here.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and our daughter were able to check in for their flight. :biggrin:

Now they are off picking up pizza and salad for a bon voyage dinner.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:20 am Mrs.V and our daughter got emails from Air France this morning telling them to arrive at JFK for their outbound flight 4 hours early this Friday.

Previously the recommendation was 3 hours early.

At this rate they may end up staying at JFK longer than they will be on the airplane.

Actually when the time in the limo going to JFK is included that is not a joke.
I used to fly from Melbourne to Sydney every Monday and back on Friday. I did that for about 10 months.

Taxi from my house to the airport about 1hr10 minutes.
Wait time in Airport 30 to 45 minutes depending on how close I cut it.
Boarding time 15 minutes?
Sitting around on the runway skirt waiting for a take off slot 5 to 20 minutes depending.
Flight time 1hr:20min
Taxiing to arrival gate: 10 minutes
Deplaning, hiking to baggage carrell: 15 minutes
Waiting for baggage: 20 minutes ( I learned to use carry on only real quick )
Taxi from airport to Office: 45 minutes minimum.

So yeah, not a joke.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Friday.

Weather perfect.

Mrs. V and our daughter getting ready to head to JFK.

USA no longer requires Covid tests to fly back from overseas. :thumbsup:

Lawnmowers from every direction. :mad: Maybe we should relocate to someplace quiet like Manhattan. ;)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Start a fresh business: Mr Vs lawn mower conversion therapie for owners. Get them to switch to electrical mowers, ideally the robot ones the will mow while the owner enjoys drinks on the patio.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

There is one cottage owner here who uses an electric mower. That cottage is on a flat and fairly small lot.

Everyone else uses selfpropeled gas mowers.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Chinese proverb: "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Again... noise canceling headphones. Really.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 pm There is one cottage owner here who uses an electric mower. That cottage is on a flat and fairly small lot.

I would have to have more than an acre to use anything more than a push mower.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and daughter made it to JFK and are already at the gate. :biggrin: Next stop Paris!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and daughter arrived in Paris. They haven't yet sent a message but I have tracked them via credit card purchases and Google Maps location sharing. ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Cloudy Sunday morning with some rain drops.

Our neighbor's (to the west) daughter is here mowing his lawn. Wish she could find some other time to do it but she takes good care of him so it is what it is. If I live long enough to need so much help I can only hope to get similar support from our daughters.

Our neighbor used to use the same lawn service we do but he didn't think that they did a good enough job. Happily I am not so fussy. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our neighbor's daughter came over to apologize for mowing so early. She wanted to get it done before the forecast rain which has now arrived.

Not a good day for outdoor activities on the North Fork. :(

I am bundled up on the porch listening to the radio. If it gets too chilly I will go in and finish the James Bond film I started last night.

The film is a bit confusing. Some characters that died in earlier Bond films are alive again. Bond appears to be retired. Q and Moneypenny are 40 years younger than I remember them. Voldemort is M.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 pm There is one cottage owner here who uses an electric mower. That cottage is on a flat and fairly small lot.

Our nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away, but I use an electric mower (I do the yard work around here because I can do that, but I can’t do carpentry, plumbing or electrical). Choice for battery power has nothing to do with noise (although it’s nice to listen to a podcast while mowing the lawn). For us it’s cheaper because we have solar.

We like to use ethanol free gas in the few gas-powered tools we have, and that’s more expensive. The one gas-powered tool we still use regularly is the Honda generator. We get frequent power outages. But a battery back-up is way too expensive right now. One day, maybe.

We have a battery powered mower, blower, string trimmer, chain saw, and combination tool (hedger, edger, brush saw, etc.). Everyone has their favorite brand. We have Stihl because we liked their gas-powered chain saw, and the battery chain saw was our first electric tool. Then, of course, you stick with the brand because the batteries are interchangeable.

One tool I still want to get is the bristle brush attachment for my Stihl Kombi-tool. Because we live on a steep and curvy mountain road, VDOT lays gravel down instead of sand in the winter time. It ends up all over our paved driveway and is a PITA to sweep up with a push broom. A biker dumped his motorcycle trying to turn around in our driveway, so we try to keep it clear but it’s a lot of work.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After our cool rainy Sunday the westbound traffic is very light this evening. Most weekend folk headed home early. ;)

Getting tired of North Haven CT mayoral election ads on our local Oldies station. Three candidates are in the running so there are a lot of ads. Most of us hearing these ads don't vote in CT let alone in the small village of North Haven.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

My friend lives in Branford, CT. She was saying the same thing about the ads.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rain! :eek:

And a little thunder. :?

Will go back to bed once it quiets down. :thumbsup:

Good time to be retired. ;)

Monday, Monday................

Return to “Introduce Yourself”