Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sexy 60’s music!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh, nice. 💚
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Summer?

Forecast high today is 64F. Rain. Windy with gusts of 28 MPH.

Coldest spring/summer transition since 2003.

Warmer in the low 70s thru the weekend but with rain.

Still better than Texoma temperatures in the triple digits. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Same here in the mid-atlantic Appalachians. I shouldn’t have to wear a sweater in late June!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not too different here. I've barely used the AC so far this year. I had the heat on a few mornings in the last week.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Today was supposed get up to 78F but it hasn't gotten above 66F.

Meanwhile it is late Friday afternoon. Hwy 27 on the South Fork is red in both directions between East Hampton and Tuckahoe as the daytime workers head west to cheaper communities up Island and evening workers and wealthy weekenders head east. The weekend weather forecast includes cool temperatures and rain.
That may reduce the number of weekenders.

One of Mrs. V's cousins from upstate has arrived in the cottage just east of us. Next weekend his wife, children, grandchildren and dogs will arrive for 4th of July week.

Another of Mrs. V's cousins is arriving today from Connecticut. His lady friend will fly in tomorrow.

The first of our summer guests arrive on the 30th for a week.

Soon the Circle will be so noisy I won't be able to hear the lawnmowers. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It is 6:30 PM here and a lawn service has just finished mowing around the cottage across the Circle from us. Could be worse. Last weekend they came on Sunday. :roll:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:30 pm It is 6:30 PM here and a lawn service has just finished mowing around the cottage across the Circle from us. Could be worse. Last weekend they came on Sunday. :roll:
We know you hate the mower and blower noise. Do you have an alternative? Kill the grass and put down rocks? :biggrin:
Our service comes on Wednesday (used to be Friday).

Or maybe you think they should be using these...

:mrgreen:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

If I had a lawn I’d use one of those.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I just wish they would come during normal business hours.

Our lawnmowers come Thursday about 3 PM and are in and out in 10 minutes or less even though we have the second largest lawn on the Circle.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I have a good friend who owns a landscaping service. He’s been slowly replacing his gas-powered equipment with battery- powered. More and more of his clients are requesting it, and he’s charging a premium that they’re happy to pay.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:52 pm If I had a lawn I’d use one of those.
Oh, trust me... unless you are a teenager or early 20-something, you do not want to mow a lawn with one of these (I have done so many times in my youth -- nice workout. Today, heart attack inducing)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:52 pm I have a good friend who owns a landscaping service. He’s been slowly replacing his gas-powered equipment with battery- powered. More and more of his clients are requesting it, and he’s charging a premium that they’re happy to pay.
Would that someone offered that here.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Are law mower robots not a thing in the US? Here we see many on private properties, working like their indoor cousins Roomba etc.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:20 pm Are law mower robots not a thing in the US? Here we see many on private properties, working like their indoor cousins Roomba etc.
We do have them here in the US. We had a landscaper give us a quote for one - our back lawn is too steep to safely mow. The quote involved preparing our lawn to make it ready. The robot mowers use razor blades, so you can’t have any weeds or woody plants like vetch and Japanese stilt grass.

It was prohibitively expensive. Better alternative is to hire a crew to come twice a year and whack it down with string trimmers.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:54 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:52 pm I have a good friend who owns a landscaping service. He’s been slowly replacing his gas-powered equipment with battery- powered. More and more of his clients are requesting it, and he’s charging a premium that they’re happy to pay.
Would that someone offered that here.
All of our personal lawn-care equipment is battery-powered. We have a Stihl push mower, leaf-blower, string-trimmer and chain saw; a Milwaukee string-trimmer; and Greenworks riding mower, snow blower and snow shovel.

We didn’t get any snow this year, so we don’t know how well the snow blower and snow shovel work. All the other stuff works great.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Numbah One Son made an appearance today, Ol' Wifehorn hates to mow and I'm temporarily incapacitated. He mowed, and she made a beef stroganoff as payment. Sent him home with a lot of other crap, too also. :shrug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:35 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:20 pm Are law mower robots not a thing in the US? Here we see many on private properties, working like their indoor cousins Roomba etc.
We do have them here in the US. We had a landscaper give us a quote for one - our back lawn is too steep to safely mow. The quote involved preparing our lawn to make it ready. The robot mowers use razor blades, so you can’t have any weeds or woody plants like vetch and Japanese stilt grass.

It was prohibitively expensive. Better alternative is to hire a crew to come twice a year and whack it down with string trimmers.
Or goats. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A quiet foggy morning here.

Fog getting thicker just now.

May finally get some warm (~78F) this afternoon.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:40 am A quiet foggy morning :shock: here.

Fog getting thicker just now.

May finally get some warm (~78F) this afternoon.
:shock: :eek:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yes, 78F!

We will have to drink lots of water and maybe take ice baths.

For the moment the protective fog is still here. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The sun has begun to peek thru and the fog is lifting. :biggrin:

Temperature now 70F.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

North Fork's 1st Pride Parade. Our Unitarian Universalist Fellowship was represented.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”