Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Still alive!

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Still alive!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

HHHHOOOORRRRAAAAYYYY!!!!! Your new condo sounds homey! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Lani, I know there are things you’ll miss, but you’ll be near your son, you won’t have to fly inter island for medical stuff…and you and your future new dog will find each other.

So, CONGRATULATIONS AND VERY BEST WISHES!!

:thumbsup: :bighug: :dance: :kiss:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Things keep changing. The moving company is still picking up everything on Wednesday, but it won't ship for about at least a week. My homeowner is fine with me staying a little longer. She can't rent it, so she's fine with me. Plus I gave her my bed for her daughter's visit. Lol. That's Kauai.

My big current problem is that a tire is bald. Apparently, it's not available for several months. Even Costco said I had to pay for the tire and wait for 6 to 9 months for the tire. Finally, I found a tire (off brand). I hope. Can't ship my car without it. <tearing out my hair>

I'm still selling things on craigslist, 9am to 6pm everyday. 8am this morning I woke up to the sound of a car driving past my bedroom window. I threw on clothing and went outside only to see a car drive away. I looked in my carport & found cash with a nice note. LOL. I'm going to miss Kauai in many ways. Moving from rural to city is going to be interesting... Let's see what happens tomorrow! :bangwall:

Once I move, I'll call the (horrible) Honolulu police department to get advice on safety measures for my new home. I haven't worried about that for decades. Rarely don't even lock the door. Since I'll be on the ground level, I think I need a movement camera & other protection. Let me know what you do for safety, please.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Lani, all I can think is, your life is certainly an adventure lately!

:lovestruck:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It's a change! I've rarely locked my door for decades.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

I have an old double door with a deadbolt lock. The door is 70 years old and custom made (the guy who built it owned the local lumberyard). I very seldom lock the door in case the FBI comes looking for classified documents in my wife's undie drawer. I would prefer they forego the battering ram and just turn the knob.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Lani wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:52 am Things keep changing. The moving company is still picking up everything on Wednesday, but it won't ship for about at least a week. My homeowner is fine with me staying a little longer. She can't rent it, so she's fine with me. Plus I gave her my bed for her daughter's visit. Lol. That's Kauai.

My big current problem is that a tire is bald. Apparently, it's not available for several months. Even Costco said I had to pay for the tire and wait for 6 to 9 months for the tire. Finally, I found a tire (off brand). I hope. Can't ship my car without it. <tearing out my hair>

I'm still selling things on craigslist, 9am to 6pm everyday. 8am this morning I woke up to the sound of a car driving past my bedroom window. I threw on clothing and went outside only to see a car drive away. I looked in my carport & found cash with a nice note. LOL. I'm going to miss Kauai in many ways. Moving from rural to city is going to be interesting... Let's see what happens tomorrow! :bangwall:

Once I move, I'll call the (horrible) Honolulu police department to get advice on safety measures for my new home. I haven't worried about that for decades. Rarely don't even lock the door. Since I'll be on the ground level, I think I need a movement camera & other protection. Let me know what you do for safety, please.
When we lived in Reston we had a Nest doorbell with a camera. It worked great. At the cabin we have arlo security cameras. They also work great, BUT. Now that we live here full time and have people staying at the cabin full time, I had to unplug them. The longest duration you can mute the notifications is 24 house, after which my phone starts pinging every time someone goes in or out. It’s great when there’s no one there, but a pain when the place is occupied.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Post by Lani »

The move is coming up fast.

One of the moving company people took my son's very old martial arts swords. The movers had wrapped up the swords, and then somehow that guy took them without out telling anyone. He called me today that he took the swords to make sure I get them. Then he forgot to tell me. Sure, asshole. Supposedly he's bringing them to me tomorrow. I'm calling the police if he doesn't. The moving company wants them NOW as well, or they are calling the police as well. Also, he's fired.

Isn't moving fun! :sick:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Lani wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:26 am The move is coming up fast.
Isn't moving fun! :sick:
No, I remember moving from Fort Huachuca Az to Camp Zama Japan and when we finally got housing and a place to unpack our stuff I found my kitchen garbage can with the garbage still in it. :sick:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:26 am The move is coming up fast.

One of the moving company people took my son's very old martial arts swords.
I'm glad he's fired - he deserves that at least. I hope you get them back without any further trouble! Such BS on his part. :mad:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 am No, I remember moving from Fort Huachuca Az to Camp Zama Japan and when we finally got housing and a place to unpack our stuff I found my kitchen garbage can with the garbage still in it. :sick:
Ew! :sick:

I mean, at least they were thorough in making sure they packed ALL your stuff, but still...

Ew! :sick:
Tiredretiredlawyer

🎶It's Moving Day🎶
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 am 🎶It's Moving Day🎶
Yea!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Best of luck, Lani. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
June bug

Post by June bug »

Aloha nui loa, Lani! 🌺🦎🤙🤗
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, some kinda sekrit code there. :confuzzled:

The goog says it's Swahili for "Don't trip on the front step." :liar:

:stars:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Congratulations! A hard day to come but will end on a good note. Relax tonite and enjoy your new place.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The day that seemed so far is finally here! I have a love/hate relationship with moving. It’s such an exciting PITA!

Good luck Lani!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Has anyone here had a problem with mold? No, not about my new home (which I'll be moving in this weekend).

I've been very ill for several weeks. Cough, fever rises to 101-102 every afternoon/night. Exhausted. Lots of aches & pain. Can barely finish a sentence some times.

I rented an old house (1950), to save for my new condo. The metal roof is in a bad condition (and other things). For Hawaii, the rent is very low, and I like the tropical jungle around me. I'm fine with living in an old house. In recent weeks, I've noticed that there may be mold coming through ceiling. Now I'm wondering if that is contributing to my health problems.

Has anyone here had a health problem due to mold?

I have yet another clinic appt tomorrow, and I think I will bring up the mold problem.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've not ever had a problem, but I know it can be an issue for people who are immune compromised, or maybe even if they are allergic or asthmatic. It must be especially tough to be feeling so lousy when you are so busy trying to get moved. Feel better soon. :bighug:

Best of luck in that new condo. Things will be different; I hope they will be better.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

I am glad you have an appointment and will be getting out of that house soon. Mold can be dangerous.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:yeahthat:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

I'm on Oahu. It's been a horror. I'll get my car and my personal property in the morning.

My former landlady freaked out when I left. She didn't show up for the 2 walk throughs and claims that I caused scratches in linoleum. This is about an old house with mold and termites.

She was watching us as we filled the final truck. The moving company was worried about her behavior and gave me a place to sleep me for the night.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Still alive!

Post by Maybenaut »

So glad you’re safely
on Oahu. :bighug:

The reality that she’s going to have to spend a bunch of money before she can rent the place out again has probably begun to sink in for your landlord.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Introduce Yourself”