Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Still alive!

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Still alive!

Post by AndyinPA »

So sorry, Lani. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:bighug:

It’s stressful. My daughter is going through the same thing. Her husband got a job on the other side of the country so they’re moving. Everything in her price range/preferred school district is getting snapped up.

:bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Post by Lani »

Condo hunting not going well. Of course, the price is a very big issue in Honolulu.

I put in an offer for a condo. It's a small condominium - 7 units. 1960's. Two are on the ground, larger than the other 5 units, and have small, fenced yards which are very rare. The unit is rundown and needs a lot of fixin'. I made an offer a couple of weeks ago and now have only 24 hours to rescind. I'm swinging back & forth about what to do. My ability to walk will continue to become weaker, so that's a big deal to have a ground floor. I'm relying a lot more on my mobility scooter, so being able to get it in & out of unit is another plus.

On the other hand, do I want to be on the ground floor in a big city? Safety issues.... Going to need motion detector cameras or whatever they are called.

There is a newer/less old condo, dog friendly, ready to move in. Nice sized lawn, trees, pool. The unit is a few feet off the ground. Agent is getting pictures of the stairs I'll encounter. If there's more than one step, I want handrails, and I'll have to find some place to keep the scooter. Maybe just chain link it to the car's bumper?

Tick tock, tick tock....
hair_tear.jpg
hair_tear.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

bDayBelatedLonger.jpg
bDayBelatedLonger.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

The only other ground unit just now went on the market for $459k. Updated, painted, new appliances, cleaning up the little yard, etc. All the stuff I'll be doing. $94k more than my unit. So the final paper will be signed and sent overnight on Monday.

I think I'll have a beer now ....

So, soon I'll be living there and searching for a dog who needs me and vise versa. (Or maybe 2 cats....)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Last hurdle! Technically, I can work for the county on any island/county if I am a state resident. I spoke with the union (not a member, but my position falls under it for some matters), and they said they would support my move.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
The auction company is meeting with me on Friday to see my stuff. It does virtual auctions - photographs & descriptions for everything, I've been watching the auctions, the sales are realistic. Even boxes of various things like beach towels, random tools, kitchenware, various junk. The junk stuff sells for a few dollars, but at least I don't have to drive to the dump. And I don't have to do a yard sale! :thumbsup:

Next up - find a good moving company.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:04 am Last hurdle! Technically, I can work for the county on any island/county if I am a state resident. I spoke with the union (not a member, but my position falls under it for some matters), and they said they would support my move.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
The auction company is meeting with me on Friday to see my stuff. It does virtual auctions - photographs & descriptions for everything, I've been watching the auctions, the sales are realistic. Even boxes of various things like beach towels, random tools, kitchenware, various junk. The junk stuff sells for a few dollars, but at least I don't have to drive to the dump. And I don't have to do a yard sale! :thumbsup:

Next up - find a good moving company.
Sounds like things are proceeding well! I'm glad things are falling into place for you :)
Tiredretiredlawyer

🎶Will I See You (In a New Home) in September?🎶
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The auction company is taking on a lot of my stuff. I also learned that a company will pack my stuff and send it through a local shipper which is less expensive than a moving company. Big changes in my life. I HATE MOVING! And I miss my dog so much ....
Lani

Post by Lani »

Closing at the end of August. A team is coming in to paint, make some repairs, and install a dishwasher & a new oven. I'll move in late September. The auction will take place next month, so I have to stay around for people to pick up their purchases. And also that will happen while my furniture and other items are delivered to my new home. So it's all good.

The mortgage company was a bit leery about me maintaining my job on Oahu, but the county gave it a letter that I'm a full time employee on permanent work from home and will be working on Oahu.

I hate moving. Very busy with my job, but I'm piling up stuff for give away to various charities, some things on craigslist (yuck), most for the auction.

And I still miss Ted. My son says once I settle, we'll start visiting the humane society to find my dog waiting for me.
Lani

Post by Lani »

My gecko is watching me tonight. S/he is sitting on my knee. I can't get a photo because s/he runs away if I pick up my camera.

S/he started hanging with me in the kitchen when s/he was very young. Then it would run along the wall following me as I went to my den. Just hanging out with me. I think it's a female because I now have baby geckos in my den and kitchen.

I'll miss her. I hope she does well in the house when I'm gone. She was great for keeping bugs out of the house, and was just plain fun to have her lounging on my laptop.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Heck, Lani, I miss Ted and I never even met him (or you). :lovestruck:

I read about him for many years, and he was a key player here. :brokenheart:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Moving is such a busy and stressful time - it sounds like you've got things well planned out, though! I hope it goes easily :)
Lani wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:58 am And I still miss Ted.
I'm sure you do - I don't think I could go as long as you're having to without a dog in my life!
My son says once I settle, we'll start visiting the humane society to find my dog waiting for me.
And I'm sure you'll find a wonderful one needing the kind of good home you can offer!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Life is interesting. Closing on my condo next week. I've been sick with bacterial pneumonia for over 2 weeks. First med did nothing. Young doctor thought I'd be well in 10 days and put that in the medical leave letter to my employer. Nope. Daily temperature cycle from 96.9 to 102.6. And frequent coughing & sore throat.

Triggered long covid problems. Like not eating, confusion, loss of sleep, unstable (could barely walk and definitely dangerous). I pulled out my old wheelchair. Great! Then the rubber tires fell apart. :(

The 2nd med he gave me is another 10 day period. The fever cycle isn't as bad - 97 to 100 - but I'm still coughing a lot, very weak, and driving is too unsafe. I'm emailing the doc over the weekend about the continuing symptoms, although not as severe. But I can't just jump back into work.

Meanwhile, I have to move now. My very old rental house has a leaky roof. My neighbor/landlady told me that the roof will be repaired. The date was uncertain. NOW it's in 2 weeks. She thought she told me that. Maybe it was my illness, or maybe she forgot. Anyway, I've managed to get a shipping company, and next Friday they'll pack up everything & get it to the dock. Whew. Working on getting a cleaner for Friday or Saturday.

Doing a yard sale, but I can't handle it by myself. So I wrote up the ad. I wrote that construction will be underway, so I need to limit the number of people at the property for the sale. I'm offering appointments. I hope that works!

I can't just close the garage - because there isn't one. It's a carport. So I hope a lot sells so I don't have to move much from the carport every night.

I'm very tired. :yawn: Will stop whining for now.
June bug

Post by June bug »

:bighug: Oh Lani, I’m so sorry. :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:bighug: I'm sorry to hear your health is giving you more problems, but good on you for still managing to get so much done! I hope your garage sale does well and that your move goes smoothly! Keep us posted when you're up for it, and best wishes! :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, what Kris said. Sending hugs and love. :bighug: :lovestruck:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dammit, Lani. It just ain't FAIR! :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:26 am Yeah, what Kris said. Sending hugs and love. :bighug: :lovestruck:
:yeahthat: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

Still here, still with pneumonia, no medicine helped much. Finally, I was hit with everything from the doc, and it helped, but I still weak and hurt a lot. The doc wrote a letter than I can to return to work Monday, which is ridiculous.

Despite my condition, I'm trying to sell, trash, or box up my household. I hired someone to help me. My new home is being painted and altered a bit, plus adding a dishwasher and a new stove.

I'm way behind Fogbow. Hope I can catch up with you soon.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Take care of yourself, Lani! We'll be here when you're ready to catch up :biggrin:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Things are going better. I now own a pleasant condo with a yard. It's an old building that looks like house, not a high rise. 2 large units on the bottom (with a yard!) and smaller units on the 2nd floor, At the top is a small unit.

For Honolulu, this is a quiet area. I can hop on my mobility scooter to take my (future new) dog to the dog park 1/2 block away. Corner stores & coffee shops. Some work has been done on the unit, especially painting, more when I move in. Dishwasher, new stove, etc.

The house I rent is very old, but I like it. I'll miss the pigs & chickens. However, the roof is leaking. The owner is trying to get the roof replaced. It's not fixable. But like so many things these days, the roofing people don't have enough people. I was supposed to move out this month, but then the company had to push off the date, and then they did again. NOW the company says it can fix the roof after of September. <sigh> Anyway, I'm moving on.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:12 am Things are going better. I now own a pleasant condo with a yard. It's an old building that looks like house, not a high rise. 2 large units on the bottom (with a yard!) and smaller units on the 2nd floor, At the top is a small unit.
Congrats! It sounds nice, as does the area you'll be in!

Thanks for keeping us posted :biggrin:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Well done Lani, enjoy your new home!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”