Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Still alive!

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Still alive!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:21 am
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
Lani

Post by Lani »

Still alive, not kicking as much as I need to. I just realized that I have to move by 9/1. :o I've been temporarily renting a nice old plantation house (from the 50's) which is comfortable tho old, and Ted loves it, too. But it's falling apart. I've been selling my stuff on ebay & craigslist, but it's slow. I need to dump a lot of stuff. Lots of things are packed up for charities. But jeebus on a cracker, I have a lot of stuff! Furniture & rugs, etc., will probably be handed over to a an auction house.

Tonight, I'll going through boxes of paper & sorting for shredding.

It's been hard to find my new home. While interest rates were low, homes disappeared in 24 hrs. I did not have a good agent, and I dumped him. But things changed quickly, higher rates, etc. I'm about to put in an offer for a small condo, smaller than I wanted. The good news is that it's dog friendly, on the 2nd floor, elevator, no steps into building, a block away from a dog park & 3 blocks from grocery stores & other things. Also 2 blocks from son. This long covid shit is not getting better, so I want to be able to get everywhere on my electric mobility scooter as I tired easily. And that's possible in this neighborhood.

I can work anywhere, so I can move before turning in the paperwork for retirement. That will help. Official date will be in January.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, that didn't work out well. My potential DIl hated the unit. It doesn't have a dishwater, but I know there is space for it. Washer/dryer is on the ground floor. I can deal with that. I'm looking for an ADA unit, and it has that. Plus my big dog is acceptable. Sigh.

I'm getting stressed about finding my next home....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
tek

Post by tek »

Remember, the perfect is the enemy of the good.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck, Lani! :thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

tek wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:18 am Remember, the perfect is the enemy of the good.
Absolutely!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Agent is checking it out this week. I will be watching via phone. If ok, she'll put in an offer, and I'll fly over next weekend to check it out in person.

Well, back to going through a lot of boxes and shredding. When that gets boring, I'll empty my closet of clothes I don't wear any more.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sigh. Going through stuff is slow and tiring. I don't think I can handle a moving sale. I do list items on craigslist and ebay, but it's slow going & time consuming.

There's an auction company on the island. I've been looking at some of their auctions that are like yard and moving sales. I think I have to take the photos and write a short description, but I can do that. We're speaking about it later this week.

I can sell my lawn equipment & tools now. Also, my cooking stuff that I don't use anymore, including kitchen counter appliances, etc. Ian won't be back to see the house, so I can sell his bed and whatever else he doesn't want/need anymore.

People bid on line for a couple of weeks and then pay the auction house. There is a set day for picking up items at my house and an appointment time for each buyer. The buyers have to show me their receipt from the auction house. Then I get my check.

It will be a lot easier for me to clean and pack with so much out of the house and carport. I feel so much better now. :biggrin:

Feel free to nag me to get the first auction underway. :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Get the first auction underway. :fingerwag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I emailed the auction office yesterday. Today I sorted out jewelry that I don't wear any more. There's enough to just have a jewelry auction. It's boxed up and ready to have the company appraise everything. That will be the 1st auction (I hope).

2nd will be kitchen items including kitchen countertop appliances and tools. When I find something I don't, or rarely, use, I put it on the dining table. Table is getting full.

Hoping next Sunday I'm not too tired to locate and clean up my lawnmower, clippers, shovels, rakes, etc., and rummage through my tool box to see what to keep & what to sell. Also, my camping gear & hurricane kit (big cooler loaded with stuff we need when a bad storm hits). So I'll be ready for the 3rd auction soon - I hope!

I'm on Honolulu Saturday to check out 3 (maybe 4) condos. Allegedly all are dog friendly. But Ted is very big, and the condos might limit the weight. If so, I'll write a letter for my doctor to sign. I think Ted qualifies as an emotional support animal.

So other than the gazillion boxes I need to go through, it looks like things are getting underway. :pray:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Wow. I found an FDR button. "Souvenir of the Inauguration Jan. 20th 1941". A little donkey is attached. I may have to think about keeping it....

AND found a commemoration coin, about the size of a silver dollar, made from metal used on the Skylab, May '73 - February '74. (Dad was deputy director of NASA for years.)

AND then I found a small jewelry box that has a coin collection from childhood/adolescence. Some are buffalo nickles, wheat pennies, older dollars, and some from later in the '60's. Not a lot of coins, some very worn, but I was surprised to find them. Also 2 Roman coins from Constantine's reign, so early 300 AD. Damned if I know what else will appear.

Meanwhile, the auction manager is visiting next week. I warned him that I'm dumping and sorting everything, so it's a disaster here. He seemed fine with that. So we'll get started on it. The descriptions, photos, etc., will be done with his staff.

And that doesn't include all the tools & lawn equipment. :brickwallsmall:

Saturday I fly to Oahu to see some condos. Feeling much better about getting the move underway.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hidden Content
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:cheer2: :bunny: :cheer1:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, the little condo I wanted only allows a cat. One cat. No dogs. :cry:

So today I looked at a very nice condo, roomy, all the appliances I want, etc. Also, the building has ramps instead of stairs on the ground level, which is nice and safer for me (and everyone). It is more expensive, so I'm calling my bank about that. Maybe... BECAUSE dogs might be limited to 50 lbs. :mad: I'll know tomorrow.

I'll still continue to empty my closets & carport. OMG I have a lot of boxes that I haven't looked at for years! This is going to take some time.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I'd say put Ted on a diet, but I remember his past food issues.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Real estate continues to hassle me. :bored:

The really nice one is more than I can comfortably afford. And it looks Ted is too big to be ok'd.

There is a very small condo that's more affordable. I'll have to add a dishwasher. I can live with a small unit since it's just me & Ted, and it might be wiser to keep things simple. It's easy for me to get around the building, too. While there isn't a lot of lawn, there are places to sit under a tree while Ted enjoys the outdoors. (Also, lots of places for Ted to relieve himself.) And there is a park a block away. The condo claims to be pet friendly. Nope - one cat only, no dogs. But service dogs should be allowed. Well, Ted checks on me if I don't get up when the alarm goes off. He nudges me until I get up. Also, if I don't take my pills shortly after getting up, he sits down and stares at the pills, then stares at me, etc. If that doesn't work, he nudges me with his nose. I think he qualifies. He's a medical alert dog! (Still might have problems with the condo association.)

I still don't have approval for the mortgage after I sent EVERYTHING to the manager. I called her this week, but more than a day passed before I received a call in the evening. The branch is struggling to stay open because so many employees are out sick. (It's a big problem on Kauai for many businesses.) She asked for more documents. I said I sent everything and gave her the dates when I emailed them. Sigh.

Good news about the lovely condo I love, but pricey. This morning the seller's agent said the owner is now open to offers. (However, I need the damn mortgage approval that that bank hasn't done.) Also good news - big dogs are now allowed!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck, Lani. :bighug:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Monday is the big day. I'll know if the bank oks the mortgage I want.

The unit doesn't have an ocean view because I have vertigo. However, the view is attractive - trees, sky, close to the ground. I looked at a similar unit, listed for less, 9th floor, but I had to force myself to take a step on the balcony. :eek: My son had joined us and told me that he had the same problem. I didn't know that. He felt that he would be somehow thrown over the railing. Yeah, me, too. Heights are disorienting.

He tried to face the problem by a rock climbing event recently and made it to the top, but he was very stressed. :eek: Did not help at all! We are what we are.

I'm trying to move to his district soon so I can vote for him.
Hidden Content
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My moms vertigo was terrible and I inherited it. We’d go to Rehobeth Beach for a couple of weeks each summer. The year I got my learners permit she was so relieved, cuz I could finally drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. She’d been doing it with her eyes nearly closed, or one eye closed the other a tiny slit so she wouldn’t pass out!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:01 pm My moms vertigo was terrible and I inherited it. We’d go to Rehobeth Beach for a couple of weeks each summer. The year I got my learners permit she was so relieved, cuz I could finally drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. She’d been doing it with her eyes nearly closed, or one eye closed the other a tiny slit so she wouldn’t pass out!
I remember that bridge, and not fondly. :cantlook:

Meanwhile, I made an offer on the condo I wanted, even tho a little higher than what I wanted to spend. I was falling in love with it. Before the owner saw my offer, his wife passed away. The condo is off the market. :crying: Rushed to my 2nd choice, but it went into escrow just hours before. :brickwallsmall:

<breathe deeply> <om mani padme om> <bang head on wall>

I've run through everything in my price range 2x today. Nothing appealing. I won't live in a condo above 3 stories (bc I'll go nutz). And I won't live anywhere Ted isn't with me and there aren't trees and parks.

2 months & 2 days before I have to move. <breathe deeply> <om mani padme om> <bang head on wall>
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

G'd luck gurl! Finding a new home is never easy, I hope you find something soon, before it starts to feel too desperate.
Off Topic
I woke up confused in the early hours of this morning coming out of a dream about an empty house that I bought a few months ago in a small town outside Oslo (Norway) – or perhaps it was in the city's suburbs, it wasn't clear – but I had forgotten about buying the house (as one does :nope: ) so I decided I ought to visit to check its condition when I remembered. I arrived instantly. The house was ok apart from a friendly note from a neighbor warning me about my overflowing waste bin, and I became overly intrigued by the floor bolts on the patio doors, which soon morphed into windows so I didn't have to bend down to play with the bolts – dream houses can be very flexible! – and then one but of my brain said to another bit "that's weird, fancy waking up?"

So I don't have a spare house in Norway to offer you, and anyway it wouldn't be much use if you want to live in Hawai'i. :(

Return to “Introduce Yourself”